Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
WINSTON SALEM , North Carolina
Looking for the right hitch

Hello everyone,

We just paid a deposit on a 2018 Sport 22 and will be picking it up in the next week or so. I'll be using a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD equipped with the maximum trailering package as the towing vehicle. I have a little experience towing a large boat, but have never towed a travel trailer, so I’m concerned about sway.

I’m seeking suggestions for the right sway control hitch for my combination. I think that the dealer suggested a Reese Pro Series weight distributing hitch at about $400 installed. Is that a good choice or what are other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sam George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hensley Cub, Reese Dual Cam, BOSP, Eaz-Lift with brake pad sway strut.
$1500-2000, $600, $650, $250 ......

Do your research, ignore opinion, make your choice with technical logic. There are pro and con to all. Besides the hitch, the TV suspension, tires and your driving style must be considered, upgraded and/or accommodated. Do not expect to understand what you need to know from this thread. Research each hitch individually. Your TV as well. Congrats on being informed enough and taking the iniative to investigate. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Plenty of details apply. But the best two hitches are the highest priced. The cheap ones DON’T compare. A case where one, indeed, gets what he pays for.

The “elimination of sway” should get your attention.

(Versus the others where only mild attenuation of sway exists, and that strongly dependent on proper spring bar bend; next to never achieved in this crowd).

And, any WD hitch needs to be set up on a scale for best results.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I opted for the Reese Strait-Line hitch with their Dual Cam sway control after doing my due diligence. Towing a 23' Airstream didn't require a $2,000 hitch in my opinion.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I opted for the Reese Strait-Line hitch with their Dual Cam sway control after doing my due diligence. Towing a 23' Airstream didn't require a $2,000 hitch in my opinion.
Bingo!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post

Unless the 22 footer you are towing DOWN the Cajon Pass in SoCal tries to PASS you on the downhill the first time out...with an admittedly marginally-sized tow vehicle.

I don't regret paying the big bucks for total peace of mind, but hey, it's YOUR setup--you get to choose!.

Me, I'll go with a Hensley design, since I'm quite sure my life, and the lives of my family, and my dogs are well worth the investment. Propride is what I much prefer...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
For your rig, I'd think an Eaz-lift plus one Husky sway bar would be entirely adequate. If it were mine, that's what I'd choose...

If you check with Andy Thomson at CanAm RV, I bet that's what he will recommend.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Plenty of details apply. But the best two hitches are the highest priced. The cheap ones DON’T compare. A case where one, indeed, gets what he pays for.

The “elimination of sway” should get your attention.

(Versus the others where only mild attenuation of sway exists, and that strongly dependent on proper spring bar bend; next to never achieved in this crowd).

And, any WD hitch needs to be set up on a scale for best results.

Define "cheap".

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 28' so it's a bit longer. I used a Blue Ox, and would have no sway. It was doable. The problem was not sway but how it handled. In traffic (trucks and vans passing) the bow affect would shift the trailer first, and then the TV. This would make driving very uncomfortable in heavy traffic. So I bought a Propride. Expensive. But I figured if I'm going to own this rig and drive it I might as well enjoy it. I drove 2 hours in traffic through Milwaukee and Chicago this Spring. The handling was great. I still got a push from trucks, but not nearly has bad or as exhausting driving since everything would move together.

I have no idea how a 22' will handle in the same situation. I can only share my experience. Lots of people on this forum drive with different hitches and do just fine. And honestly the Blue Ox was just fine on typical roads. But it didn't handle as well in high traffic situations.

Big decision.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Hensley Cub, Reese Dual Cam, BOSP, Eaz-Lift with brake pad sway strut.
$1500-2000, $600, $650, $250 ......

Do your research, ignore opinion, make your choice with technical logic. There are pro and con to all. Besides the hitch, the TV suspension, tires and your driving style must be considered, upgraded and/or accommodated. Do not expect to understand what you need to know from this thread. Research each hitch individually. Your TV as well. Congrats on being informed enough and taking the iniative to investigate. Pat
If your intent was to confuse you have succeeded.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam George View Post
Hello everyone,

We just paid a deposit on a 2018 Sport 22 and will be picking it up in the next week or so. I'll be using a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD equipped with the maximum trailering package as the towing vehicle. I have a little experience towing a large boat, but have never towed a travel trailer, so I’m concerned about sway.

I’m seeking suggestions for the right sway control hitch for my combination. I think that the dealer suggested a Reese Pro Series weight distributing hitch at about $400 installed. Is that a good choice or what are other suggestions?

Thanks!
The Reese Pro Series will work just fine with your 22' AS. Spending much more than that would be a waste of money.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Unless the 22 footer you are towing DOWN the Cajon Pass in SoCal tries to PASS you on the downhill the first time out...with an admittedly marginally-sized tow vehicle.

I don't regret paying the big bucks for total peace of mind, but hey, it's YOUR setup--you get to choose!.

Me, I'll go with a Hensley design, since I'm quite sure my life, and the lives of my family, and my dogs are well worth the investment. Propride is what I much prefer...
Could you please give it a rest with your ceaseless promoting these overpriced complicated hitches. We all get it that you needed to spend
$ 2,000.00 for your piece of mind. Most of us get it for a lot less than that.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Dealer threw in the blue ox system when we ordered our classic. Haven’t had any problems with sway, have had large trucks blow past me and I feel it though but this is minor in my opinion. General rule of thumb for me since my motor cycle days is “ride your own ride”. Do what you are comfortable with and do it at your own speed. Since I’m in no hurry getting to where I want to be, I find my self going between 55 and 60 all the time. Best of luck in your search and decision.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
See our add in " for sale " ...
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I've read dozens of posts on multiple forums from people who traded SOB hitches for a ProPride or Hensley who state they will never go back due to the improved stability of the trailer.

I've read precisely 1 post of a guy who returned his ProPride.

ProPride method of applying WD is probably the easiest to dial in and get the EXACT tension you want.

I have no idea why FranklyFrank thinks the hitch is complicated. I find it very easy to use. Yes, more to the design - but that doesn't impact use. You need to decide the value

Added benefits, unless you have the correct stinger, you can't hook up to the trailer and haul it away, unless you first remove the hitch. Also, there is a bit more distance between the TV and trailer. On pickups, you will undoubtedly be able to drop your tailgate without banging into the tongue jack.

In my mind, the Hensley design is the third generation of hitch. World has gone from just a ball, then added various sway control devices and finally the Hensley design completely prevents pivoting at the ball unless induced by the TV. Similar to improvements in vehicle steering systems and braking.

In the end, you need to decide the price/value trade-offs you are willing to live up with.

Here is a lab test of the Hensley design with a setup that is intended to induce sway.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Hooking up the Propride is actually very easy. Takes me less time than when I had the Blue Ox. So that’s not a deal breaker. Price is however an issue. And you will have to install it which takes some time. it took me about 3 hours. You’ll want some extra hands. But you will have excellent support to help. And installing the hitch yourself is good because you understand how it works and how you can adjust it.

Good luck and happy shopping.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
As you can see, there are many opinions here. I have been using Reese WDH with Dual Cam Sway control for 40 years, with several different tow vehicles and different trailers. It still serves me well. I have studied many different hitches and have not found anything that I like any better.

The Hensley/ PrpPride hitches have some advantages and some disadvantages. Net result for me: I don't find them necessary for safe operation. Don't let the scare tactics make you spend too much on un necessary equipment. Reese hitches will serve you well and will be safe and effective for your particular vehicles. Just be sure to get it setup properly and don't overload your tow vehicle or your trailer. Check your tow vehicle GVWR, axel ratings and hitch load rating as well as your trailer GVWR. Then go to a scale and weigh everything loaded for travel to be sure that your are within all limits. Everything means each axel of tow vehicle, tongue weight, trailer weight. (Hitch weight adds to tongue weight.) One important function of WD Hitch is to make sure that you don't UNLOAD the steering axel. Some of the tongue weight needs to be moved to the front axel of tow vehicle by the hitch.

Many threads here discuss proper setup of weight distributing hitches. Reese website also gives good instruction on their hitches.

Hope you find a setup that works for you. Happy travels.
Abe
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Could you please give it a rest with your ceaseless promoting these overpriced complicated hitches. We all get it that you needed to spend

$ 2,000.00 for your piece of mind. Most of us get it for a lot less than that.

Frank, you have an absolute right to express your opinion in a polite manner, as do I.

So kindly do not expect me to “give it a rest” when, as others have pointed out, the Hensley design hitches are really ‘third generation’ improvements over other hitch systems. They are, in my and other’s opinion, no more difficult or complicated than other systems, save a bare ball with no WD or sway reduction.

It isn’t guilt, cost, complexity, or anything other than basic engineering principles that make Hensley designs superior. Physics and mechanics are not going to change this superiority. As others have pointed out, many Airstream trailers come at costs in the range of 5-6 figures. A Hensley design is a small fraction of that cost. I believe that trying to use a lesser hitch system is “penny wise, and pound foolish”.

“That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it ...”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
If you search this site, you will find that everybody has a different opinion. In a recent thread, one poster insisted that a new AS owner with a 22 foot unit he was going to tow with a Toyota Tundra needed a Hensley or Pro-pride hitch and that anybody who didn't have one of those hitches was "wrong".

I don't think most agree, however I have heard a number of people on this forum speak very highly of the Reese Pro hitches. I have an Equalizer brand, and it works fine with my Tundra and 22 foot Safari. I don't think you could go wrong with either. The Hensley and Pro-pride hitches are apparently very good, but they are apparently north of $1000 and the additional benefit may not be worth the very high cost to some. If your dealer usually sells and sets up Reese Pro hitches, I would go with that. Just my opinion - you will find everybody has a different one.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Let me start by saying I have a Reese Strait-Line hitch w/Dual Cam sway control.

With that out of the way, I agree with rmkrum that Hensley/Propride ARE better hitches. Considering that the alternatives are perfectly safe and workable, the question then becomes are the Hensley/Propride better enough or safer enough to justify spending 4 times more money for them?

My answer is in the very first sentence of this post. All I want is safe, and I have it.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote