Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
New Member
 
2018 22' Sport
WINSTON SALEM , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Looking for the right hitch

Hello everyone,

We just paid a deposit on a 2018 Sport 22 and will be picking it up in the next week or so. I'll be using a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD equipped with the maximum trailering package as the towing vehicle. I have a little experience towing a large boat, but have never towed a travel trailer, so I’m concerned about sway.

I’m seeking suggestions for the right sway control hitch for my combination. I think that the dealer suggested a Reese Pro Series weight distributing hitch at about $400 installed. Is that a good choice or what are other suggestions?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Sport22Geo
Sam George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,855
Hensley Cub, Reese Dual Cam, BOSP, Eaz-Lift with brake pad sway strut.
$1500-2000, $600, $650, $250 ......

Do your research, ignore opinion, make your choice with technical logic. There are pro and con to all. Besides the hitch, the TV suspension, tires and your driving style must be considered, upgraded and/or accommodated. Do not expect to understand what you need to know from this thread. Research each hitch individually. Your TV as well. Congrats on being informed enough and taking the iniative to investigate. Pat
__________________

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,893
Images: 1
Plenty of details apply. But the best two hitches are the highest priced. The cheap ones DON’T compare. A case where one, indeed, gets what he pays for.

The “elimination of sway” should get your attention.

(Versus the others where only mild attenuation of sway exists, and that strongly dependent on proper spring bar bend; next to never achieved in this crowd).

And, any WD hitch needs to be set up on a scale for best results.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 12-cpm solo, 19-cpm towing (fuel)
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 344
I opted for the Reese Strait-Line hitch with their Dual Cam sway control after doing my due diligence. Towing a 23' Airstream didn't require a $2,000 hitch in my opinion.
__________________
Bobbo, Lin and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Flying Cloud 23FB "BobLin Along"
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I opted for the Reese Strait-Line hitch with their Dual Cam sway control after doing my due diligence. Towing a 23' Airstream didn't require a $2,000 hitch in my opinion.
Bingo!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I opted for the Reese Strait-Line hitch with their Dual Cam sway control after doing my due diligence. Towing a 23' Airstream didn't require a $2,000 hitch in my opinion.

Unless the 22 footer you are towing DOWN the Cajon Pass in SoCal tries to PASS you on the downhill the first time out...with an admittedly marginally-sized tow vehicle.



I don't regret paying the big bucks for total peace of mind, but hey, it's YOUR setup--you get to choose!.



Me, I'll go with a Hensley design, since I'm quite sure my life, and the lives of my family, and my dogs are well worth the investment. Propride is what I much prefer...
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dude
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 346
For your rig, I'd think an Eaz-lift plus one Husky sway bar would be entirely adequate. If it were mine, that's what I'd choose...

If you check with Andy Thomson at CanAm RV, I bet that's what he will recommend.
__________________
Bob

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
sbowman's Avatar
 
1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Plenty of details apply. But the best two hitches are the highest priced. The cheap ones DON’T compare. A case where one, indeed, gets what he pays for.

The “elimination of sway” should get your attention.

(Versus the others where only mild attenuation of sway exists, and that strongly dependent on proper spring bar bend; next to never achieved in this crowd).

And, any WD hitch needs to be set up on a scale for best results.

Define "cheap".


Best regards and safe travels
__________________
Scott & Liz
2017 Classic
2016 RAM 3500 6.7
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 318
Blog Entries: 1
I have a 28' so it's a bit longer. I used a Blue Ox, and would have no sway. It was doable. The problem was not sway but how it handled. In traffic (trucks and vans passing) the bow affect would shift the trailer first, and then the TV. This would make driving very uncomfortable in heavy traffic. So I bought a Propride. Expensive. But I figured if I'm going to own this rig and drive it I might as well enjoy it. I drove 2 hours in traffic through Milwaukee and Chicago this Spring. The handling was great. I still got a push from trucks, but not nearly has bad or as exhausting driving since everything would move together.

I have no idea how a 22' will handle in the same situation. I can only share my experience. Lots of people on this forum drive with different hitches and do just fine. And honestly the Blue Ox was just fine on typical roads. But it didn't handle as well in high traffic situations.

Big decision.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Hensley Cub, Reese Dual Cam, BOSP, Eaz-Lift with brake pad sway strut.
$1500-2000, $600, $650, $250 ......

Do your research, ignore opinion, make your choice with technical logic. There are pro and con to all. Besides the hitch, the TV suspension, tires and your driving style must be considered, upgraded and/or accommodated. Do not expect to understand what you need to know from this thread. Research each hitch individually. Your TV as well. Congrats on being informed enough and taking the iniative to investigate. Pat
If your intent was to confuse you have succeeded.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam George View Post
Hello everyone,

We just paid a deposit on a 2018 Sport 22 and will be picking it up in the next week or so. I'll be using a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD equipped with the maximum trailering package as the towing vehicle. I have a little experience towing a large boat, but have never towed a travel trailer, so I’m concerned about sway.

I’m seeking suggestions for the right sway control hitch for my combination. I think that the dealer suggested a Reese Pro Series weight distributing hitch at about $400 installed. Is that a good choice or what are other suggestions?

Thanks!
The Reese Pro Series will work just fine with your 22' AS. Spending much more than that would be a waste of money.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Unless the 22 footer you are towing DOWN the Cajon Pass in SoCal tries to PASS you on the downhill the first time out...with an admittedly marginally-sized tow vehicle.



I don't regret paying the big bucks for total peace of mind, but hey, it's YOUR setup--you get to choose!.



Me, I'll go with a Hensley design, since I'm quite sure my life, and the lives of my family, and my dogs are well worth the investment. Propride is what I much prefer...
Could you please give it a rest with your ceaseless promoting these overpriced complicated hitches. We all get it that you needed to spend
$ 2,000.00 for your piece of mind. Most of us get it for a lot less than that.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
BigSxyWhtGuy's Avatar
 
2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 82
Dealer threw in the blue ox system when we ordered our classic. Haven’t had any problems with sway, have had large trucks blow past me and I feel it though but this is minor in my opinion. General rule of thumb for me since my motor cycle days is “ride your own ride”. Do what you are comfortable with and do it at your own speed. Since I’m in no hurry getting to where I want to be, I find my self going between 55 and 60 all the time. Best of luck in your search and decision.
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
harryk's Avatar
 
2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 109
See our add in " for sale " ...
__________________

harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Right sealants on the right sections BoldAdventure Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 5 11-22-2014 11:09 AM
Right amount of spring bar bend for eaz-lift hitch DJW Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 05-18-2013 10:17 AM
Right Rear Tire Wearing on Outside & Right wheels Closser together than left wheels Tnsawdust General Repair Forum 7 04-10-2009 07:49 PM
Right size WD hitch????????? purman Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 10-24-2008 09:41 AM
The right acid works with the right applic got polish Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 1 07-17-2008 08:50 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.