Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Load Leveling Hitch Fine Adjustment

Thanks to all of the members who helped me with the initial set up with my Reese Dual Cam Hitch.
I wasn't completely happy with the limitations of the chain link adjustment. I felt I needed more torsion bar tension but just one link tighter was too much. I found this tip on the Can Am site that works very well to fine tune the torsion bar tension. By adding bolts to the chain link I was able to dial in an exact amount of bar tension.

Note.. On my rig I am able to notice the difference with 1/3 increment changes in a chain link.

I since learned another tip. It is acceptable to vary the chain link from one side to another. For example... 4 chain links hanging on one side and 5 chain links hanging from the other. Because of subtle differences on the springs on the tow vehicle this method could also be used to compensate for those variances if the tow vehicle is not sitting level once hooked up.

To further explain.... Park your combo on a flat surface. measure the height of the tow vehicle on both sides of the front end. If for example the drivers side is sitting higher than the passenger side, increase the passenger side torsion bar tension buy one link. This will help level the vehicle in a road ready state.

Hope this helps anyone that wants to fine tune their weight distribution hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chain fine adjustment.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1593  
Old 02-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Wayne,
I ran across the same information a couple days ago and wondered if it was such a good idea. If it works then I am all for it. I really haven't thought about measuring both sides of my vehicle until I hit the CanAm site and now that you bring it up again, I will check it out the next time I hook up. I have tinkered with several link adjustments and not noticed a change in ride other than the tighter link raised the vehicle just slightly and pointed the trailer tail closer to the ground, something I didn't want. I am considering a lower hitch bar since I need to start a couple inches closer to the ground before I even attach the spring bars. Thanks for the picture because that says everything.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote