Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Load Equalizing hitches

Today, we started a research program on load equalizing hitches.

We are measuring the bend in the load equalizing bars, at 100 pound increments, with different brands as well as square and round bars.

The range of the tests start at a low level and up to and including a 20 to 25 percent overload.

We will publish the results as soon as the tests are completed, hopefully by the end of this year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Is an equalizing hitch the same as a straight hitch?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Is an equalizing hitch the same as a straight hitch?
No.

Andy
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Great idea... one of my favorite sayings is that one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I take it that this will be used to find what engineers call the stiffness of the bar - lbs/inch of flex. Beam theory tells us that this will be a linear relationship.

One of the interesting things we can find out is how much the preload (which is what does the WD function) is affected by a change in pitch angle between the TV and the trailer - which is what happens when the TV encounters a steep driveway or goes over a hill first.

It is my contention that the loads on our AS reduced if a more constant force spring could be used.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Great idea... one of my favorite sayings is that one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I take it that this will be used to find what engineers call the stiffness of the bar - lbs/inch of flex. Beam theory tells us that this will be a linear relationship.

One of the interesting things we can find out is how much the preload (which is what does the WD function) is affected by a change in pitch angle between the TV and the trailer - which is what happens when the TV encounters a steep driveway or goes over a hill first.

It is my contention that the loads on our AS reduced if a more constant force spring could be used.

- Bart
This will be interesting. Bart, I don't think it will reflect a linear relationship, necessarily. I suspect that some of the tapered bars MAY BE a progressive rate setup. We'll see, because this is information that the MFRs have kept close to the vest. I suspect the round bars and square bars which do not taper or change shape along their length out to the tip will be linear in their deflection until the force nears the max. rating of the bar.

So much is going to be dependant upon the various alloys used in the spring bars also. I think, in previous discussions we all have a tendency to think all materials used by various MFRs are created equally. Not necessarily so.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quick Question about WD Hitches and 3/4 Ton Trucks

Andy,

This may be the world's most stupid question but here goes... (See end quote for hilarity regarding me.)

It is my understanding that as Airstreams require a soft suspension to maintain their body integrity, and a 3/4 to 1 Ton truck needs a payload to achieve that, then are WD Hitches even needed on those trucks if their beds are otherwise empty?

If a 34' exerts 1000 lbs of tongue weight, and the payload on a 3/4 ton truck is 1500 lbs, would the combination work well without a WD hitch as the tongue weight of the Airstream would put the rear suspension of the truck right where it should be for a soft ride?

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Andy,

Will you be using various trucks and repeat the tests? I suspect the delfection of the bars at a given weight will be very different between a half, 3/4, and 1 ton rear suspension.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Andy,

This may be the world's most stupid question but here goes... (See end quote for hilarity regarding me.)

It is my understanding that as Airstreams require a soft suspension to maintain their body integrity, and a 3/4 to 1 Ton truck needs a payload to achieve that, then are WD Hitches even needed on those trucks if their beds are otherwise empty?

If a 34' exerts 1000 lbs of tongue weight, and the payload on a 3/4 ton truck is 1500 lbs, would the combination work well without a WD hitch as the tongue weight of the Airstream would put the rear suspension of the truck right where it should be for a soft ride?
Secguru,

I know you addressed to Andy, but here goes. There are MANY posts relative to these questions. Some with fairly heated discussions. Search on key words like hitch, tongue weight, etc. for all the reding you can stand!

You question on payload is :loaded" for so many reasons. Among them is spring rates of various truck manufacturers, proper load distribution (not lod on the rear suspension alone....etc.)

Also, I am aware of no 1/2 ton which has a payload of 1000#s, nor a 3/4 ton at 1500#s, nor a one ton at 2000#s.

This nomenclature is decades old when the ratings and names were accurte. Today most 1/2 tons payload is over 3/4 ton....a 3/4 ton is over one ton....and a one ton is well over 3000# (dependant upon single rear wheel and dually).

Add to that various manufcturers view on progressive spring rates and auxillary springs and you have a never ending discussion.

Remember, WD hitches are meant to distribute weight to achieve proper handling of the trailer/TV combination. There are many fine points to this discussion/argument....but they are well covered elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I gota get a new keyboard!!!!! My most commonly used vowels don't "wk s wll", sorry.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
SEC,
Just looked it up for a Silverado, just as an example:
Max payload:
"1/2 ton" 1980#
"3/4 ton" 4192#
"1 ton" 6635#
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Oh Boy! Wait, let me make some popcorn.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You will need it.

So far, up until now, interested owners have posted.

I had a very hard time waiting for more negativity.

Andy
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Don't need to go there....that's for another thread...an existing one.

More on topic....Andy, will you share you test perameters and accept input, for what it's worth? (that'll open a can, won't it?)

I am thrilled you're taking the initiative to take this on, so we all have some factual data. Kudos!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Andy,

I have towed my 31' AS three times for a total distance of less than 200 miles with my Ram 1500. I can tell you that with a tongue weight of about 800#, the load on the hitch definitely lowers the rear of the TV and takes load off of the front wheels (of the TV) with nothing in the bed of the truck. There is an effect on the handling although I've not had any significant problems. But, when her first trip is made in the spring, she will be equipped with a WD hitch.

The rated loads for pickups assume the load will be distributed within the cargo area, above or between the axles, which is a lot different than hanging it all on a hitch that is between 2 and 3 feet behind the rear axle of the truck. There is a significant difference in the load capacity and the allowable hitch weight for any pickup. (and it may even be so stated in the owner's manual of the pickup)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
I have towed my 31' AS three times for a total distance of less than 200 miles with my Ram 1500. I can tell you that with a tongue weight of about 800#, the load on the hitch definitely lowers the rear of the TV and takes load off of the front wheels (of the TV) with nothing in the bed of the truck. There is an effect on the handling although I've not had any significant problems. But, when her first trip is made in the spring, she will be equipped with a WD hitch.

The rated loads for pickups assume the load will be distributed within the cargo area, above or between the axles, which is a lot different than hanging it all on a hitch that is between 2 and 3 feet behind the rear axle of the truck. There is a significant difference in the load capacity and the allowable hitch weight for any pickup. (and it may even be so stated in the owner's manual of the pickup)
All correct, and well covered elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't need to go there....that's for another thread...an existing one.

More on topic....Andy, will you share you test perameters and accept input, for what it's worth? (that'll open a can, won't it?)

I am thrilled you're taking the initiative to take this on, so we all have some factual data. Kudos!
We are investing our time, and money, for the research.

Our intent is to answer some questions, and to present data to those that are interested as a matter of information, and not another grandstand for slamming or arguing.

However, we understand that no matter what the results will be, there are those that will continue to argue.

We wish to advise them, at this time, that we will not, under any circumstances, get involved with that behavior.

But, we would invite them to spend their time, and money, and do the research.

So far, we have made tests on 4 different setups. The results so far, are very interesting.

Andy
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
It appears that Andy is testing various brands & styles of bars, for their rated spring rate vs actual spring rate. I doubt his test procedure will even include a tow vehicle, which would only cloud the results. It would be up to us to take the actual brand/style WD hitch spring rate into account in tuning our towing setup.

Until now the notion that round bars are softer than square bars has been measured by the seat of pants method, which sometimes can be accurate "enough". I want to thank Andy up front for undertaking this work, and I'm looking forward to the results.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You will need it.

So far, up until now, interested owners have posted.

I had a very hard time waiting for more negativity.

Andy
Andy,

I have not said anything negative on this thread. I just think this will be very interesting, will draw lots of comments about how and what parrameters are used in the testing, as well as what hitch manufacturers', or as I fear manufacturer's products are tested.

I'm very much looking foward to hearing the results of the tests, as well as seeing what products are tested.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Looking forward to the results.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Because I will be purchasing a WD hitch in the next few months, I appreciate that InlandRV is investing the time and money to make this information available. It will be another piece of information that I can use to make a final selection.

Now, if this testing were being conducted here in Wisconsin, I'd have to believe the techs and mechanics would have more than a few 12 packs of brew bet on the outcome...