Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #99
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The research has been completed.

The write up however, is taking some time, as I want it to be as simple as I can, so as to minimize negativity.

A few more days should do it, since I have been very busy with some other projects as well.

Andy
Will you be loading it under the "Projects" or "Articles" link on the Inland RV site?

Thanks.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
Will you be loading it under the "Projects" or "Articles" link on the Inland RV site?

Thanks.
Articles.

Andy

Old 01-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We need this type of information

Andy,

You started the thread offering what to I suspect the vast majority of us is a very valuable and much appreciated set of information to take in to consideration when choosing a hitch and tow vehicle. I think we all realize that there are differing ways to accomplish what you are doing, and from the posts, many ways to interpret anything tested no matter who does it, and how they do it but frankly, I think most of us don't require, nor expect, more than you have set out in your original post. For those who need more they should be encouraged to put their theories to the test and let us know their own results.

We need a guideline, something better than a wet finger in the air and the wise advice of a sales rep who was selling Vespa's until his current job selling trailers opened up a few weeks ago. I understand that this is your intent.

So please don't hold back your results.

I'm being selfish here - I am needing to replace my hitch and don't want to regret what I acquire in a few weeks after reading your results. Having read your current article on your website I think I may be "over-hitched"
with a 1,000 Equalizer set up on a 1951 Flying Cloud (3,200#'s) and a '57 Pontiac station wagon (122" wheel base, 4,100#'s).

For you others who need more detail, please do work together, come up with your results, and post them as well. Your additional (and unfortunately more costly/time consuming ) results will continue to add value to the Airforums. We need this type of information, both what Andy is offering, and then what the others can add.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Andy, I look forward to your results. While your results come after we purchased our trailer and setup, I am interested in learning as much as possible about hitches and w/d because I don't know enough to be comfortable and we are thinking about a new tv.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
How I designed the tests, was my choice.

They were designed to help the "majority", and not the "minority" that have already expressed negativity, even before the results are published.

Since you already disagree with that, then I would suggest you invest your own money, and time, and test them to your satisfaction.

Then, others can disagree with your test results.

Because of the negativity, from a small source, we will publish the results on our web site, only, with a copyright.

Andy
Andy,

You no doubt have the right to "design" any tests you want, in any way you want, and I salute you for doing tests. I'm very eager to see your results, and I hope you publish all the results, with pictures of how you did them. I hope you publish so much data that the tests can not in any way be repudiated.

Basically, I hope you publish so much data that your findings can in no way be branded as only your personal opinion, as in the past. Again, I'm can't wait to see your results.

Oh, and by the way, just as you have the right to design the tests as you so desire, I believe by the fact that you have anounced in a public forum your intentions to do them, I too have the right to discuss these tests, as do every other member of the forum.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #104
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Andy,

You no doubt have the right to "design" any tests you want, in any way you want, and I salute you for doing tests. I'm very eager to see your results, and I hope you publish all the results, with pictures of how you did them. I hope you publish so much data that the tests can not in any way be repudiated.

Basically, I hope you publish so much data that your findings can in no way be branded as only your personal opinion, as in the past. Again, I'm can't wait to see your results.

Oh, and by the way, just as you have the right to design the tests as you so desire, I believe by the fact that you have anounced in a public forum your intentions to do them, I too have the right to discuss these tests, as do every other member of the forum.
My report will be challenged , by the select few, that have already warned me that's what they plan on doing, even if the Bureau of Standards assisted.

Therefore to keep everyone happy, I will only publish it in my web site, with a copyright.

If someone, anyone, disagrees with the data, they have my complete blessing to invest their money, their time and their energy, to do any kind of testing that they want, to what ever degree they want, with any and all documentation that they want, unless of course they do not want to take the risk of being challenged, in a manner that they have already set forth that they plan on doing with others.

I do not plan on discussing the issue with the select few, that are just waiting to cause more problems for the Forums, and me.

As always, I will more than welcome questions from all others, any day, any time.

Andy
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Results of just about anything are challenged. Is the earth round or flat? Doing things is a good thing, and the resulting discourse is inevitable.

Testing is easy to challenge because there are often different ways to do it and it's very easy for good people to bias the results without meaning too. A complete explanation of methodology would help those that understand such testing to make suggestions for improvement or to validate the test. Copywriting the test results may result in not making the results generally available to help people unless they can invoke the fair use doctrine (I'm not going into that here).

I am generally skeptical of opinions, tests, and factoids, so I like to know how things were done so I can make some sort of decision whether to believe it. So far as hitches and tests of them go, the physics of it is way beyond me, so I look at the posts from a number of Forum members to try to make sense of it. Alas, I don't understand them either for they write in engineerese, a language I was unable to understand in college. I remain ignorant of it.

I read the articles in Airstream Life about hitches and they seemed informative, but I couldn't understand all of them either. I appreciate that attempt and Andy's attempt to bring some clarity to these issues, but I remain confused.

Maybe it just me. I get glazed over when someone mentions "moment arms" and deflection and such. I also have a problem with tax law. We all have our weaknesses.

Gene
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gene,

I think we all have problems with the tax law!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This is why the conclusions don't matter. The data, and the protocol of how it was collected matter, so people who dispute the results can run the data to arrive at the conclusions the data supports. If the initial conclusion is good, it will be broadly upheld, except by those bad at analysis.

Everything in the report will likely be copied to Airforums for discussion, argument and dispute. This is called "fair use".

At the end of the day, we just need to wait and see what the report contains. With Andy's insurance research background, good data's likely to be the case.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Gene

Dont feel lonesome. Sal.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #109
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
This is why the conclusions don't matter. The data, and the protocol of how it was collected matter, so people who dispute the results can run the data to arrive at the conclusions the data supports. If the initial conclusion is good, it will be broadly upheld, except by those bad at analysis.

Everything in the report will likely be copied to Airforums for discussion, argument and dispute. This is called "fair use".

At the end of the day, we just need to wait and see what the report contains. With Andy's insurance research background, that's likely to be the case.
Fair use, does not include copyrighted materials, which are protected by law, for 28 years.

Andy
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #110
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Fair use, does not include copyrighted materials, which are protected by law, for 28 years.
From http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html:

Quote:
One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the copyright law (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.” The doctrine of fair use has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years and has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
    1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
    2. The nature of the copyrighted work
    3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
    4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
One would expect that a discussion of the merits of the work described in the article would come under both the criticism and comment portions of the Fair Use doctrine.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #111
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post

One would expect that a discussion of the merits of the work described in the article would come under both the criticism and comment portions of the Fair Use doctrine.

- Bart
Now we are talking about critizing, even before publication.

HOW NICE.

No wonder so many people keep things to themselves, and let all others fend for themselves.

Andy
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
In this case, the word "criticism" means "the comparative discussion of the merits or accuracy of" the content of the copyright material. "Criticism" is a legal term without a negative connotation, in this case. It is the very definition of peer review.