Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
[QUOTE=jspafford;1335246]I think a "Really Stoopid" forum is a great idea! I have lots of things to post here! For example ...

The Treacherous Right Turn

Most 'Streamers who have been on the road a bit have experienced the horror of looking in the right mirror while making a tight right turn and seeing their AS headed for disaster. This phenomenon occurs, of course, because as we turn the towed vehicle follows a tighter radius than the tow vehicle. But in moments of distraction and stress we sometimes forget. Like the time Lynn and I were bringing our new (to us) AS home from PA to CA, and decided to look for some good barbecue in Memphis. The old city in TN? With the narrow downtown streets? And so we were looking for one way signs, and street signs, and pedestrians, and it was a rainy night, and I was still new to towing, and she said "turn right here!" and there was a bus on the corner and the street was narrow so I swung right around the bus and glanced in the right mirror and slammed on the brakes just before all the blood drained from my brain - our new shiny Silvia's curvy right shoulder was about to slam into the bus!

Exact same story for me, instead not a bus but an poorly parked pick up truck with a huge chunk of steel rear bumper. I caught it just in time to stop with only about 1/2" of clearance. I had to have my wife get out and stop traffic on very busy street in Seattle. It's been about 2 years ago and when I dream about it, I still wake up screaming.

The ability to follow instructions is highly underrated.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Had a SOB 5th wheel with the steps hanging down behind the wheels. On our 3rd trip out west I ran the wheels down into culverts on left turns, bending the whole step assembly. Not once, not twice, but THREE times. Never had done it before, haven't done it since, but stooopid times three?

Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote