Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yep!

And it is a joy to be able to drive comfortably with one hand!

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And to be able to hold a conversation with your passengers that is not punctuated with profanity. Priceless.

And no, as old and clumsy as I may seem, it's never taken more than 15 minutes at the outside to get the stinger into position to lock it. I guess I'm not fun to watch. Hoisting up the various bits of the Husky system we once used was a lot of work that I can avoid now. The PP stinger is the only heavy lift now.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #101
Rivet Master

I don't care what kind of hitch you have driving a truck with a trailer demands all of your attention and I wouldn't call it a joyful experience.
My Equalizer, 25 foot trailer and diesel Excursion all tow beautifully. There is no sway even in extreme conditions but no hitch can compensate for getting to close to traffic when there is a sudden stop or going too fast into a sharp down hill turn. If you put a trailer wheel off the road where there is no shoulder, it is going to be a white knuckle moment as is having a tire blow out at speed.
Joy of Driving? Only when I am driving my Z4 on a scenic curvy road with the top down and no traffic.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I enjoy driving pulling my Airstream, but also enjoyed driving my 41,000 lb. moho, and my Porsche 996 Cab. Different experiences, but....

I understand white knuckles from a blizzard in Wyoming in 2009 where I saw my 27FB in my left mirror at an angle of about 60 degrees......thinking "Is this it?" Fortunately it came back in line and I led six big rigs into Laramie, about 75 miles at 35 mph, with all of them agreeing on the speed.

The morning after a fantastic nights sleep in the blizzard:

AirstreamREV_2009_Int_27FB_Snow_04.2010-4 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #103
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
And BTW.......I love the statement. "It toes like it's not even there."

Even with the HaHa and 8.1 Burb that makes no sense.
If your not aware it's there, I'm glad I'm not there too

When my co-pilot told me how much more comfortable towing was for her, I knew it was a worthwhile investment.

Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And BTW.......I love the statement. "It toes like it's not even there."

Even with the HaHa and 8.1 Burb that makes no sense.
If your not aware it's there, I'm glad I'm not there too

When my co-pilot told me how much more comfortable towing was for her, I knew it was a worthwhile investment.

Bob
:-)

You darn well BETTER know it's there! :-D

I love seeing it in the rear view mirror. It's a total joy almost every time I drive it - the only exception being that final drive to the storage yard for the winter :-(

Something about knowing we're totally independent and self sufficient - my bride, my pup and me on the road, seeking adventure and the fun of interacting with the world around us in ways I can't do sitting in my office.

Joy indeed. C'mon Spring!!!! :-)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I don't care what kind of hitch you have driving a truck with a trailer demands all of your attention and I wouldn't call it a joyful experience.
My Equalizer, 25 foot trailer and diesel Excursion all tow beautifully. There is no sway even in extreme conditions but no hitch can compensate for getting to close to traffic when there is a sudden stop or going too fast into a sharp down hill turn. If you put a trailer wheel off the road where there is no shoulder, it is going to be a white knuckle moment as is having a tire blow out at speed.
Joy of Driving? Only when I am driving my Z4 on a scenic curvy road with the top down and no traffic.

Why must joy in driving and attentive driving be mutually exclusive?

When a vehicle goes just exactly where I point it with not the slightest exception this DOES add joy to driving, and at the same time allows me the luxury of greater concentration on that traffic ahead of me and greatly reduces driver fatigue at the same time.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one's rig drives and tows properly, the driver can have relaxed hands on the steering wheel rather than white knuckles from a death grip. I keep both hands on the wheel except when taking some water. As a non-smoker, I am not fiddling with all that entails.

Both of my hands are on the steering wheel all the time (at the 9 and 3 position) give me the best chance to control an emergency that occurs suddenly. If there is great scenery, we stop so I can see it too. My attention is focused on the truck, trailer, road and wind conditions and surrounding traffic when we are moving.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I will have to admit to being a one handed driver when going down the interstate, but I keep distractions to a minimum.

Cell phones are awful, those who text and drive might be the devil.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
It is interesting how I have changed my driving priorities. I used to like to see how quickly I could get to my destination, often setting some pretty fast times (1960's and 1970's). Then I decided i wanted to get there differently and did two solo cross country motorcycle trips in the mid 2000's. Well, riding a motorcycle taught me a lot about driving. The 12,4,2 rule, learning how to look a quarter mile down the road, and seeking out the "safety" zone, in between the groups of vehicles which tend to form riding down the road.

When I began pulling a trailer in the late 2000's, I was able to apply the same principles of driving as riding a motorcycle, 12, 4, 2, safety zone, looking a quarter mile down the road. By utilizing the same precautions with a trailer and truck as i did on the motorcycle, I seem to keep two hands on the wheel, pay full attention to what I am doing, and avoid distractions if possible.

Today, my goals when traveling in any form are to drive in the safest way possible and to achieve the best full mileage I can. When I arrive, well this is best determined by just how early i start and not by how fast I drive.

Neither motorcycles nor RVs stop worth a darn, and this we must keep in mind at all times, IMO. But, old retired folks seem to always go so darn slowly, driving, thinking, moving about, and...what is this thread about?

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
12, 4, 2, safety zone, looking a quarter mile down the road. By utilizing the same precautions with a trailer and truck as i did on the motorcycle, I seem to keep two hands on the wheel, pay full attention to what I am doing, and avoid distractions if possible.

Today, my goals when traveling in any form are to drive in the safest way possible and to achieve the best full mileage I can. When I arrive, well this is best determined by just how early i start and not by how fast I drive.

Neither motorcycles nor RVs stop worth a darn, and this we must keep in mind at all times, IMO. But, old retired folks seem to always go so darn slowly, driving, thinking, moving about, and...what is this thread about?
Can you please elaborate on the 12,4,2, safety zone? Thanks.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #110
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink Ah yes the 'old daze'....

.......of the 'Cannon Ball' runs across the Country.

1971, Buffalo to Glendale, Brothers wedding, 1964 Volvo P1800s, 52hrs.
Foolish, yes, but boy it was fun.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOLVO SALE PIC'S.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	229047  
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Actually the 2-4-12 rule explained here:

http://youtu.be/xnOOWmEoZ-w

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #112
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Actually the 2-4-12 rule explained here:

2-4-12 Rule | Allstate Street Survival - YouTube
When people are out to GET YOU, being 'PARANOID' is 'good thinking' !!!

yup.. that 'rule' kept me safe for over 45 years of MC riding...and it translates to AS towing, etc... However, rather than use the 'time' route which can distract... I use a similar method, sort of like learning to accurately fire a weapon.... it's all in the breathing...

One breath in/out... 2 seconds
two breaths in/out... 4 seconds
etc... it is easier to track my breathing than to say the words or 'think' the words... breathing is autonomic and allows more of my admittedly poor brain power to 'work the problems'...

If ANYTHING will or has the possibility to enter my 'path of travel' in less than one breath, it is an IMMEDIATE threat...and too late to have much chance of avoiding...

Two breath's... I stand a far better chance of 'evasive' maneuver survival/success.

Over two breath's... I have time to 'time/coordinate/adjust' to the situation.

During those breath's things are 'processing'.... in the environment and in your mind.... and hopefully those little 'distractions' that occur will not ruin my day...

SQUIRREL!!!!!

Now... about that 'sway'.....

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote