Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Don't worry. Jim, never a bit over 52 mph.

But seriously, I don't ever exceed posted limits when towing my A/S.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #30
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Do we need to get out the boxing gloves and blow the dust off them ????? Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had any " White Knuckle" towing experiences. I tow with a
1T pickup so it's a heavy truck with a 30' AS behind. I've had 3 hitches. First two were traditional WD's with bars and chains. Good setups and towed well. Currently using the Anderson which had generated some heated discussions here. I'm happy with it and just got home from 4k miles of happy towing. If I ever become displeased with the AH I will probably look closer at the PP or Hensley but so far I'm a Happy Camper.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it. See ya'll on the road sometime

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Another California gotcha beside the 55 speed limit is not marked well, but no vehicles with trailers are allowed in the easy pass or high density seating lane during rush hours.

That included motorcycles with their dinky trailers as well. I rode my GoldWing with trailer attached in those lanes and was told by a local that I could earn performance award points doing that. The required use right two lanes are really treacherous for motorcycles in CA.

I almost think we need a large neon sign on the back of the trailer that flashes "I do 55" in 18" tall letters (or your maximum preferred speed if lower than posted). I do not tow either the Airstream or the motorcycle trailer at the Texas 80 mph speed limit between El Paso and San Antonio.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Fwiw, my Airstream has never seen 80 mph since I have owned it.

I am not going to say anything about special hitches other than a Hensley (and by extension its ProPride brother) because I haven't used anything else.

I posted this thread to mention not which is better, or to generate controversy, but to express my experience where Hensley has made pulling my trailer MORE ENJOYABLE...

In my view the people on here who want to talk about their Hensley or ProPride have done so in a dignified manner. (As have MOST other posters. It is ok that we have opinions that differ. Nothing to get angry over.

I will also mention that because I was patient, and bought used, I got my like new hitch for $1246 delivered.

This is not too awfully far from the price of some other types of hitches.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Hesley/ProPride can be bought used and in good condition for a substantial savings, and the companies may sell rebuilt units.

For new Airstream owners you will need a weight distribution hitch of some brand. A new conventional hitch may be in the neighborhood of $500. A new ProPride is $2500, the difference $2000. That is less than 2% of the cost of a new Airstream and tow vehicle to have the best, most comfortable, and safest towing experience you can get.

I wish we would have got a ProPride with our new trailer, now after using it, rather than the two others we tried first (on recommendation of the dealer). It took only a few miles on the interstate highway to appreciate the remarkable difference.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't think people who never pulled with a HA/PP really understand and/or believe the "like a whole different trailer" thing.

For my trailer it made a dramatic difference in my "joy of driving".

I did read a post on here made by a poster who said they were selling their hitch because her husband didn't like the hitch and/or the extra foot or so the hitch added to the overall length.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And that extra more/less foot allows us to open the tailgate of our pickup with the trailer attached.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
And that extra more/less foot allows us to open the tailgate of our pickup with the trailer attached.
And SUV/minivan lift gates as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Agreed, I like being able to properly open my tailgate. The top edge had previously set right on top of my tongue jack.

One thing that did strike me when I first installed the hitch is how much more the trailer pressed down my truck before I set the WD jacks.

The extra length off the back of my truck made a big difference.

When I was pulling "on the ball" with my stiffly sprung 1/2 ton 4wd short bed with a short hitch shank I didn't NEED WD, with the extra length of the Hensley it did.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

I want to THANK you guys for reporting how it FEELs pulling with the PP/HAHA.

I have been satisfied with the old Reese dual cam for years that I set up correctly (level, etc.). That said, anything that makes driving much easier is always appreciated. We only tow 4-5 hours a day - and that is going cross country! Of course not having a time element to be concerned with helps.

I have printed out the PP page and am strongly considering it based on the many comments in the last few years; and I have been following this forum more than 10 years.

Thanks J Morgan et al .....
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Back to a point made a few posts up the page....

If I were to drop 130 large on a new heavy Airstream, having now tried the HA, there is no way I wouldn't spring for a HA/PP.

Am I mistaken in my brief observation that neither company uses a dealer network and only sells direct to customers?

If so, I can see where this strategy would maximize per unit profit, but they will miss a lot of sales as RV dealers will recommend hitches that they sell.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I can agree that the Hensley is a good hitch, but please do not let the fact you own one let you tow faster than you should. Additional speed can kill. Tow slow, tow safe. Use whatever hitch makes your trip more fun. Jim
Right. Change of hitch gear does not change physics of the rest of the "rig". The tires, axles, brakes, externally attatched drag generators, etc. I tow same speeds. 60-62 is sweet spot....if speed limit allows.

Generally I run just a bit UNDER posted up to 65...but don't hit 65 on purpose as that is faster than I like to tow. As always, there may be exceptions. When I tow on the toll road, speeds up to 80MPH, I just stay at 62. I still have to pass some folks who can't or won't drive over 55! (Not a Van Halen Groupie)

I tow my other trailers without ProPride.
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I'm not in favour or against the HA/PP...I have no experience with either. Like everyone else I've read numerous positive threads about it and I've received many direct recommendations for it. On the other hand I've also received direct (expert) advice from multiple people telling me its completely unnecessary and I wouldn't need it...."overkill" was used.

With this blurb I'm not trying to put anyones hitch/TV down, I'm also not looking to start a fight or for it to turn into a small TV vs large TV conversation. I'm merely trying to expand the conversion. Hear me out before you bash me

I'm curious about the relation of the hitch to the TV.

Some background...
I tow with what most people here would consider an under-sized setup (I'm within axle ratings). IMO, the dynamics of the vehicle are superb....low center of gravity, stiff lower profile tires (XL rated well above load limits), independent rear suspension, lots of power, powerful large brakes, good fuel economy etc etc etc. With the properly setup WD and custom hitch/receiver the AS feels like it's on rails...no exaggeration, not a HINT of sway. Even while towing a stubby (and tall) single axle white box (SOB) with an uber high centre of gravity JUST ON THE HITCH (with only a single simple friction sway controller) .....essentially the worst combination going.....did I ever feel unsafe or out of control. Towing the AS even feels miles better than that.

...to my point and what I believe "polarlyse" was partially getting at

Is it possible that the dynamics and associated towing experience of the TV before the HA/PP are translating to an "over-inflated" perception of it after the install? Maybe "over-inflated" isn't the correct wording, but I hope you know what I mean

Another way of putting it....perhaps some TV/TT combinations will see more benefit than others and it's not necessarily the "end all and be all" for everyone.

If you love it, and it's the crowning glory of hitches for you, keep using it, enjoy it. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just trying to say that it might not be the pinnacle for everyones towing needs. It may just be an unnecessary expense that is designed to fix a problem that isn't present with a particular combination.

[FRIENDS]
Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

I have towed for hundreds of thousands of miles, the change in the way my trailer tows with the HA is not wishful thinking.

Now, not trying to to start any trouble either, but in my observation, the folks who say these hitches really don't make any difference are the people who have never used one.

I have not seen a single first hand report from a HA/PP user that does not say they are unlike any other hitch, in a positive way.

<edit> i am not, and have not said that a HA/PP is NEDDED, I towed between twelve and fifteen thousand safe miles on the ball.

I am saying that these hitches make towing my Airstream much more pleasant and much less like work.