Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I see your edit now,,, but Even in view of what CWF said, I don't see the offense.

But now that you brought it up, what if these articulated hitches are better but you having no experience with them don't know it?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I cannot say what anyone else's experience is. Thanks to everyone for their mutual respect of this fact.

For myself, I know there is a significant difference with each level and type of hitch/tow experience.

The 'projected link' or whatever name is used in the Hensley and/or ProPride is a unique tow experience... from my experience with bumper pull to receiver to fifthwheel, gooseneck, inline horse trailers to stock, car, moving, boat trailers... about the only thing I have not towed is an 18 Wheeler or mobile home trailer...

The ProPride I own does a significantly improved job of managing 'sway' and directional control/stability/aggressive maneuver.

It was way more money than I wanted to spend, but had a 'money back' guarantee...so, what did I have to 'lose'?

Actually it was a real 'experiment'... my thoughts were/are... "ok.. prove it".

Me and my big mouth...

Now my wife pulls the AS with care, respect and an increased confidence she can handle whatever the road throws at us.

Compare that to her first experience towing the AS (she is an accomplished trailer tow) where we had the Eze WD and anti-sway to the ProPride and it is a 'whole new trailer'.

Compare the ability to perform very aggressive swerve moves where curb side tires were off the pavement and easy recovery back onto the pavement without the dreaded 'jerk' into oncoming traffic, it proved itself... several times.

Compare ability to just 'point' the tow vehicle to avoid roadway sinkholes and the AS falls in just fine...thanks ProPride...

Compare ProPride ability to not let trailer/tow vehicle get 'out of alignment' in the first place (some anti-sway products merely dampen the deflection rate).. thanks ProPride...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I never was really white knuckled with any of my setups (drawtite with friction, EQ, Reese Dual cam, maybe some others I just don't recall). None of them scared me, but PPP is the end all, be all...no question nor argument in my experience and opinion. That is all. Good night Grace.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is a difference.

With all other "bumper pull" hitches, any side forces the tongue places on the receiver are pivoted on the rear axle and felt at the steering axle. The Hensley/ProPride design works differently, any side forces the tongue places on the receiver are projected forward to the rear axle where they are stopped (similar to a fifth wheel trailer), never felt on the steering axle.

If on very slippery roads with friction sway control, the friction that resists the trailer moving out of alignment with the truck also resists it from returning to alignment if it does, creating an unstable condition. There is no friction sway control with the Hensley/ProPride design.

The result is a trailer that cannot move out of alignment with the truck in gusting side winds or passing semis, and no side movement sent to the front axle. An absolutely effortless driving experience in severe wind or traffic conditions.

So yes, the joy of driving is the Hensley/ProPride experience. Worth every penny.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Your note about it changing the way the trailer acts is dead on.

It is much more than sway control and WD.

(I have towed quite a bit too, big and small trucks, even a mobile home once.... But only about 15 miles and never fast)

Frankly I was shocked at the way the hitch totally changed the character of the trailer. Yea I read where others said it would, but I always wonder how much is true and how much is fluff. As far as my experience goes it is true.

These days I am pretty much a frugal kind of guy, If the hitch didn't make a big difference for me I would have put it back on eBay where I found it.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Please elaborate more on the different "feel" of a single vs dual axel as it relates to driving. All things being equal (proper set up and a wd hitch and sway control), is one inherently better, and why? Thanks in advance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Piggy bank,

We've had single and two axle Airstreams in recent years. Two axles seem to be more stable but I think that's mostly because the trailer is longer and the axles are farther behind the truck. With a ProPride/Hensley hitch you wouldn't notice any difference while towing.

The greater advantage of two or more axles is more load capacity and the ability to move ahead to a safe place to change a flat tire. Which may be more likely with single axle as some of them carry more weight per tire than even the largest Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
... as above... plus with additional axles you will find less tendency to swing/sway around the axis of the axles... they tend to neutralize each other.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Please elaborate more on the different "feel" of a single vs dual axel as it relates to driving. All things being equal (proper set up and a wd hitch and sway control), is one inherently better, and why? Thanks in advance.
A dual-axle trailer offers two advantages over a single-axle.

In the pitch axis, the dual axle averages bumps in the roadway over a longer distance (the distance between axles) and consequently rides a little smoother.

In the yaw axis, the dual axle causes the trailer to tend to roll in a straight line, providing sway damping in addition to that provided by the hitch setup.

This is quite visible if you stop the trailer in a sharp turn in a parking lot. The slip angle on the tires of the front axle is in the opposite direction from the slip angle on the tires of the rear axle. (Most visible with radial ply tires.) It looks quite odd the first time you notice it.

I have towed both single axle and dual axle Airstreams and if--as you postulated--the hitch is set up right, you probably won't notice much if any difference.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Check my edit.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I see your edit now,,, but Even in view of what CWF said, I don't see the offense.

But now that you brought it up, what if these articulated hitches are better but you having no experience with them don't know it?
That is a very good question! I do not have any experience with a Hensley or the ProPride and I would be open to a change of mind. My issue is with folks that have never had any experience with any other kind of hitch going out and telling everyone that theirs is the best. I respect those who have used other types and have come to that conclusion but I did have a bit of an issue with your post. You did sound like a salesman who has never driven any other product.

Another issue I have is that in my experience, I have never felt any of the terrible things that others describe. Perhaps I am very careful, keep my speed down, make sure all my equipment is in good order and have a dialed in WD system. I suppose if I had issues with what I am using I would look into other options. I am glad that there are lots of options out there and the Hensley does sound like a very good choice.

Never having used any other hitch I could start a thread about how great the Equalizer is and how I never have had any sway, can hook and unhook with ease, back up the trailer and unhitch in a flash. My wife can drive the truck with out issue, my children love it, we sleep well at night and the sun always shines on my garden. Of course I would have to add that I am not a manufacturer representative. Peace.

Thanks for letting me vent. The Hensley is a very good hitch, no doubt.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Towed SAME airstream trailer with SAME tow vehicle 'on the ball' with a Husky WD hitch up and down the Cajon pass in Southern California. White Knuckle ride even in the right lane at 55 MPH, especially downhill when the trailer was trying to push us where I did not want to go.

Installed a ProPride on the same rig set. Took the exact same trip--no wiggles, no push from semi's passing, no white knuckle ride, period.

Took it out on two trips from SoCal area to Alabama last year. Traveled through wind and rain, heavy traffic, and crazy drivers in Phoenix and Arizona area. Panic stops? no issue whatever...stayed straight whilst I was standing on brakes praying I would not run over the idiot that stopped short for NO reason.

The Husky is now for sale, and I NEVER would tow with anything other than a Hensley or the ProPride version of that design. I'm too darn old to be in white-knuckle mode on a long trip. With the ProPride, it stays in line and lets me drive---and if that makes me a shill, so be it--my experience and real-world tests prove the value of spending that much money on the hitch setup--especially when you consider the lives of my wife, my daughter, myself, and all 4 of our doggies were riding on that hardware...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Joy in driving.

Say I post a thread about how much more enjoyable it is to tow my Airstream now that it is equipped with a Hensley,,,, How is my doing so saying your hitch is bad?

And even if I did say your hitch sucks, (which I am not saying), without personally denigrating you, why would you care? Our opinions don't have to be the same do they?

Frankly I will have to admit to not really understanding your position.

Hell. Start your own hitch thread and see if I care.... .

What if I am so impressed with the hitch that I feel I must share?

It is possible that my enthusiasm is genuine and not rooted deeply in ego, mean spiritedness or self serving motivations right?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I can agree that the Hensley is a good hitch, but please do not let the fact you own one let you tow faster than you should. Additional speed can kill. Tow slow, tow safe. Use whatever hitch makes your trip more fun. Jim