Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #43
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Bingo!!!

Red,

....I had a notion you would answer. Guess nobody else feels it's that important.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08253.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	172298  

Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
All but 100lbs returned to the steering axle, tv & trl LEVEL.

Can anyone determine the ACTUAL tongue weight?

Analyzing the Rob't Cross Lash Up

TW of 13.6% at 1,160-lbs

So, since this rides on the definition of "actual", how was that determined? Best out of three via bathroom scale, SHERLINE scale or drops to the certified scale pad and calculating distance from jack to coupler center, etc?

I think "actual tongue weight" must be like used car dealers' "actual miles". Somewhere I heard that

1 actual mile = 1.78 statute miles

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The way I would define tongue weight is the weight on the jack when the trailer is unhooked from the tow. I am not sure how to figure or measure the force on the ball when hitched with a wd hitch. Seems to me you would need a load cell between the ball and the receiver. I hope the force there just becomes irrevalent and use the axle loadings instead.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Red,

....I had a notion you would answer. Guess nobody else feels it's that important.

Bob
A SHERLINE will be on my Xmas list this year.

Ron Gratz's chart is an easy fill-in-the-blanks-and-do-some-addition way of "seeing" a tow combination with a few passes across a certified scale.

And it's not the end (getting the "formula" correct), but a beginning for any small tweaks (as with your rig) where an experienced owner (could be any of us) dials in the last bits to his satisfaction.

I suppose the latest question is, what is the load per trailer wheel position with WDH applied?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You don't need to know what the weight on the ball is once you have the bars tensioned. The tounge weight is defined relative to the trailer only and it is to make it more stable. Measure the tounge weight and use the appropriate size bars for that weight.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
The way I would define tongue weight is the weight on the jack when the trailer is unhooked from the tow. I am not sure how to figure or measure the force on the ball when hitched with a wd hitch. Seems to me you would need a load cell between the ball and the receiver. I hope the force there just becomes irrevalent and use the axle loadings instead.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #48
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
How about agreement on the weight on the tongue is always there... the points supporting that weight are changed through weight distribution.

If that were not the case, hitch receivers would not have different ratings for dead tongue weight and weight distributed tongue weight.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
While the weight on all axles is changed by the WD hitch. The force on the ball and the coupler increases due to the loaded spring bars.
With WD I believe the side wall stress on all tires is increased significantly when turning, especially with the inclusion of anti sway.
It would be interesting to find tire failure data comparing trailers with and without WD and/or Anti Sway hitches.
I use neither on the 26' Argosy running 55# of Air in Tow Master tires. 18K miles with no tire or handling problems.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
While the weight on all axles is changed by the WD hitch. The force on the ball and the coupler increases due to the loaded spring bars.
With WD I believe the side wall stress on all tires is increased significantly when turning, especially with the inclusion of anti sway.
It would be interesting to find tire failure data comparing trailers with and without WD and/or Anti Sway hitches.
I use neither on the 26' Argosy running 55# of Air in Tow Master tires. 18K miles with no tire or handling problems.
Anti-sway can greatly REDUCE the sidewall stress at least on thr TV rear tires. I accidentally did an experiment that proved that recently, with an Airstream with a friction anti-sway device that I forgot to put on before the trip in the first hour the rear tires of my TV increased 6 psi from heat, then I stopped and put the anti-sway bar on and the tires dropped 2 psi (to remain 4 psi over the starting pressure) over the next 45 minutes were it stayed for the next 45 minutes and end of the trip.

So same weight, conditions, speeds and type of driving resulted in lower tire temps with anti-sway in use.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Less sway = less tire flex

Perry
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
All trailers wander [snake]. They'll try to pass the TV if given the opportunity (why cute trailer names are funny as hell when the b*#@! is on the way around . . . when Bambi becomes Godzilla).

The "requirement" for WDH is generally the TW, a value specified by the vehicle manufacturer. "Anti-sway" is recommended at that point. But if one wants the latter, then setting up the former can be done, even with light/short TT's.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Less sway = less tire flex

Perry
Also vice versa.

doug k
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I love my cushy car radials on my trailer. Sway has not been a problem.

Perry
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
S.E Lower Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Snip...

In my tyro towing days, I improperly closed the latch on my ball. I engaged the WD bars and they popped the trailer hitch completely off the ball. Nobody was hurt and I quickly lowered the tongue jack to stabilize this mess. I concluded that the spring bar engagement sockets on my truck's hitch bar accounted for much of the tongue weight transfer in my case.
This is not possible! When you draw up the chains, the force between the trailer coupler and the ball increases. There is no possible way that drawing up the chains and engaging the WD bars would cause the trailer to come off the ball. It simply is not physically possible.
Barney
Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneys View Post
This is not possible! When you draw up the chains, the force between the trailer coupler and the ball increases. There is no possible way that drawing up the chains and engaging the WD bars would cause the trailer to come off the ball. It simply is not physically possible.
Barney
When the tongue jack elevates the tongue and tow vehice, even with arms attached, opening the lock will cause the tow vehicle to drop away.

Andy