Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
2004 19' Bambi
O'Fallon , Illinois
Rodney - You are correct. It doesn't take that much effort, plus I already have one. I'm heading to Wisconsin in a week and will throw it might add 30 seconds to my setup time! :-) I've definitely got 30 seconds...

QwstnEvrythg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Big Trucks, Little Trailers and Sway Control

One fact is overlooked by the proponents of the "I don't need sway control, because my truck is big and my trailer is small" argument.

A trailer doesn't need the TV to participate in order to beat the heck out of itself by swaying. Yes, it is much less likely to cause a large TV to loose control, but wind, road conditions, driver actions, and many other things can induce sway in the trailer without lose of control of the TV.

The swaying of a smaller trailer can be set off by totally unpredictable factors and quickly become violent enough to cause unhitching in a very short time. I have seen it happen to an unloaded utility trailer towed by a large pickup. I don't think the driver even knew it happened until the trailer banged the rear of his truck.

Just a thought to ponder. Is it likely?, probably not. Is it possible?, most certainly.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Just my 2 cents .
Do ya need sway control wiff a 3/4 ton truck or Do ya gotta Use it. NOPE!
IS IT A GOOD IDEA ? YUP Definitely!
Even though thats a big truck, that Bambi can get really violent back there and upset the truck enough to cause the loss of control.
I agree wiff KEN
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Check the owners manual. It's pretty much standard that the vehicle manufacturer's REQUIRE WDH and RECOMMEND anti-sway at 350lbs TW and 5000-lbs of trailer.

That I CAN pull my trailer without WDH is beside the point. That I want to REDUCE or ELIMINATE "sway" is the point.

I'll never understand this as a question, as hitch rigging information -- in this instant Internet age -- is not hard to acquire. One only needs access to a certified scale, a camera and then report back to a thread where scale readings can be compared to photos of the hitch rigging to get best advice on the final adjustments.

There is no comparison that shows the lack of either WDH or anti-sway to be comparable to hitch rigging using both. The latter is superior, period. And moving up to a REESE Dual Cam, or, eliminating sway with a PP, HA or PR is cheap and easy. A no brainer considering the expense of the TT and TV.

The size of the trailer is irrelevant. The tail wags the dog. And a good hitch set-up goes well with any future trailer OR in selling the current one.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
When big 'gubmint decides to start regulating (and taxing) the snot out of this yet untapped RV market, the first thing they're going to do is mandate "pivot point projection" style hitches for TT's (which isn't a bad thing, except for we shouldn't need a nanny state protecting us from ourselves)

But, I digress..

I've experienced two types of nasty fishtailing. One was a slow, gradually increasing oscillation that was easy to tamp-out with the brake controller. The other was instantaneous- like cracking a whip. There is no chance of reacting in time.

Do the right thing.
Get a Hensley, ProPride, or Pullrite.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A blow out on a smaller trailer can cause instant severe fishtailing. That remote possiblity in itself is enough for me to have a sway bar.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Odd......Ford Motor Company in all there thousands and thousands of miles yearly towing trailers loaded to the max GVW do not use any type of hitch sway control. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
Safety,and common sense...two great things !
Rollerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
Safety,and common sense...two great things !
.......and two of the rarest things.
Dave and Felicia
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Odd......Ford Motor Company in all there thousands and thousands of miles yearly towing trailers loaded to the max GVW do not use any type of hitch sway control. Adios, John
Yesterday I followed a Ford 350 Dually short box down the back side of the Skyway bridge here in Ontario. It was a bumper mount with no sway control.
It was towing a flatbed with a small cottage loaded on it. The trailer started to sway and for a sec there I thought it was going to get out of control but the driver "lucked out", and it straightened out.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
sway control

Flat fronted trailers, offer huge air resistance, which in turn, acts like a sway control.

Airstream's, have a well designed rounded front, that minimizes the air resistance, which in turn, offers little sway control.

If the trailer is being held back by wind resistance, then more towing power must be used.

That, is at an absolute minimum towing an Airstream.

Therefore anything and everything that can be used to minimize any sway, or to defeat it, is the best thing to do, for those that are safety minded.

The drivers, should always be concerned about the safety of their passengers, who typically know nothing about towing and/or related sway control.

Most of us, have flown on a commercial airliner. We all assume that the pilot has concerns for the safety of their passengers.

Drivers towing a trailer, owe that same kind of consideration, and responsibilities to their passengers.

Safety, safety, and more safety, can never be kicked to the curb.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
Since we are new to towing (we traded up from a class A) we asked tech support about sway control. Their answer was that we probably would not notice much difference with and without sway control under most circumstances. On the other hand, they do recommend sway control because it helps control the trailer in emergency situations such as panic stops and blow outs.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
. , .
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Yesterday I followed a Ford 350 Dually short box...
must be a canadian thing, home built truck or some strange concoction...

ford does NOT offer a 350 dually with a short box.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have never seen a w/d or anti-sway setup on a trailer except a tt, and I see lots of trailers...

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote