Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Is Straight-Line Overkill?

Hi All,
I will be picking up a new 16' sport in the coming weeks and have a burning question. Is a Reese Straight Line Hitch overkill for controlling sway in a light trailer (3500# Max)?
Should I consider an Equal-i-zer or friction sway control instead?
Are there any other options I am not mentioning?

Thanks
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Why don't you try it with a regular hitch first? If it was 25' I'd say go for it.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
So your thinking try it with no WD or Sway Control?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boutdoors View Post
Hi All,
I will be picking up a new 16' sport in the coming weeks and have a burning question. Is a Reese Straight Line Hitch overkill for controlling sway in a light trailer (3500# Max)?
Should I consider an Equal-i-zer or friction sway control instead?
Are there any other options I am not mentioning?

Thanks
Torsion sway controls have a brain. The friction models do not.

The torsion type, help you to return to a straight line. The frictions cannot do that.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depending on what you are towing with you may get away without a WD hitch.

A single axle trailer will have a tendency to sway but if the TV is heavier than the trailer you might be OK. A full size pickup, Suburban, or equal. NO SUV.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
I should have put what my TV is. I will be towing with a Tacoma, 6cyl., 4x4, 6500# rating, 4130 Curb Weight.

Pulling 16' Sport 3500# GVWR

So, my vehicle will weigh more, I am definitely going to get WD, but have been told I could go without sway control by dealers.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We once saw a Ford Excursion towing a pop up. The pup up was waggin back and forth like a happy dog waggin it's tail.

The size and weight of your TV may or may not have anything to do with having a safe combination depending on circumstances.

The Reese SL is a great hitch and IMHO would work well with your TV.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sway

The type of tires (p metric vs LT {sidewall stiffness}) I have personally found afffects the tendency of the trailer to break into oscillation (sway).
My first van had P Metric radials on it and I almost lost it. LT tires took care of part of it, two friction type sway controls (one on each side) took care of it.
Follow Ebay for used stuff. Shop for a while and you will be able recgonize the old stuff from the old stuff. Stay strictly with the fully adjustable drawbar/ball mount.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
IMHO
If ya have the hitch use it. Do I think its over-kill A: NOPE
Like some one said short single axle trailers tend to walk around more than tandems, I would rather have the hitch and not need it than need it and not have it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
If you're already getting WD, it's really not a big deal or expense to add a friction sway control device - even if you don't go with the Straight-Line.

I don't have any complaints about towing my 3000 lb (loaded) 20' Argosy with an Eaz-Lift WD hitch and a friction sway control.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
...So, my vehicle will weigh more, I am definitely going to get WD, but have been told I could go without sway control by dealers.
the term overkill makes me cringe...

dead is dead.

UNDERkill is the issue.

the notion that heavy truck=control isn't sound or backed by reality.

see for your self....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-17986.html

i realize money may be an issue and towing HOME on the ball is often done,

but that didn't work out too well, in the example above, and there are 100s of outcomes like that.

these threads may help u,

different rig (with a MUCH better handling tv) but u r in the same stage of processing info and gathering the tools...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-do-21015.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-ii-21000.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ons-22445.html
________

there are 1000s of combinations and a seemingly endless spectrum of people towing with off the wall set ups....

and 100s of threads here on THIS one issue (do i need sway control?)...

the discussions are often HEATED and tangential but ALL of the useful info is there somewhere IN the hitch/tow vehicle forums.

the short answer is YES u do.

but many things contribute to that sway control

starting with tv tires and inflation, then moving right UP the equipment chain and out the back into the tongue and trailer...

and including the wingnuts behind the wheelz, who pack the trailer, hammer the pedals and steer the combo...

there is NO short simple cheap 1 stop catch all answer or solution that WORKs for every1.

do the background work, take NO shortcuts on the basics and assembly the tools for the task.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
So, my vehicle will weigh more, I am definitely going to get WD, but have been told I could go without sway control by dealers.
A GOOG RULE of THUMB is never believe anything a used car salesman tells you. RV dealers are just used car salesman that lost their auto dealership they worked for.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 815256
Why don't you try it with a regular hitch first? If it was 25' I'd say go for it.
Sure try it. What's the worst thing that can happen?

I'm not sure the trial by error method is the best way to go about this.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Find a table top model to fool around with. That will surely show you real life. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We have the same trailer you are going to pick up. We tow with a Ford F-150. I use just the hitch with no sway control and it tows like a dream. The trailer is so short and light weight that nothing other than a hitch and chains is needed. I do have a load level hitch with anti-sway bars and never used it with this trailer. No need for it. Enjoy the trailer!
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
I should have put what my TV is. I will be towing with a Tacoma, 6cyl., 4x4, 6500# rating, 4130 Curb Weight.

Pulling 16' Sport 3500# GVWR

While your TV may weigh more than the trailer there are other things to consider such as wheelbase and is the TV equipped with a tow package. The other thing many of us don't account for is the amount of stuff we carry with us when we travel. I'm the first one to raise my hand on this one. My trailers are loaded with cook wear, chairs, hiking gear, bikes, etc... and then there's the stuff in the TV as well. This extra weight adds up and affects your ability to tow safely.

The big thing for us is a "Safety Factor" . You'll never really appreciate having properly spec'd and functioning equipment until you find yourself having to make an emergency stop or swerve maneuver. There have been several times where we were required to do just that and thankfully there was no harm to anyone. Though I did have to change my shorts a time or two.

Safe Travels,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I use just the hitch with no sway control and it tows like a dream. The trailer is so short and light weight that nothing other than a hitch and chains is needed. I do have a load level hitch with anti-sway bars and never used it with this trailer. No need for it.
When my bh and I first met/dating we decided to go for a leisurely bike ride (pedal bikes). Because the plan was to take it very easy we left the helmets at home.

Well as fate would have it, and to make a long story short the lady ended up going over the handle bars, flying into a creek, and hitting the bridge abutment head first.
A hectic two hours later she was getting 26 stitches, securing a 3 inch head gash.

The safety equipment does no good unless one uses it. When and where you need it one never knows.

Lesson learned the hard way. Perhaps others will learn from our mistake.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I cannot speak to anyone else's setup, I only know what works well for mine. I'd say get the best hitch you can afford, and upgrade later if you feel it is not giving you adequate control. But don't mistake a heavier duty hitch for 'more control'. Try to get one that is properly rated for your trailers weight and tongue weight, so it will perform as intended without unnecessarily beating up your trailer with a stiff ride.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
My 2 cents worth

I couldn't agree more with STEFROPRTS but would like to add...

1. TV- 1990 F-150 overhauled and set up for towing. Weighs 5,060 lbs. loaded.

2. Wt. distribution hitch adds approx 100 lbs to TV's front axle.

3. The rig has gone from Denver, to Portland, to Quartzsite, to Denver, to Chicago, to North Carolina, to Tampa Bay, FL, to west Texas, to Denver, to Yuma, AZ, to Western Montana, to Denver, then to Timeless Travel Trailers for serious hail damage repair. The only "trouble" we have is the rig just barely pulls to the left as a truck overtakes us on our left. We rarely drive over 65MPH. It has stayed right behind me all that time.

4. The TT can officially carry 97 lbs. worth of our stuff, so we are usually overweight, approx. 250 lbs. Yes, we are addressing this but...

Bottom line-I suggest not skimping on hitch and sway control; you'll probably sleep better. Check the trailer's carrying capacity carefully and avoid costly upgrades.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #20
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the term overkill makes me cringe...

dead is dead.

UNDERkill is the issue.

-
Tu ne cede malis