Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Interesting, I went to Camping World this weekend

Just to see what they stocked for WD and SC. Technician there recommended sway control only
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
From what I have experienced at Camping World, and the many reports I have read from others, I wouldn't expect anything better!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
The tech rep at Tekonsha advised that the problem I was experiencing with my Prodigy brake controller was a wiring issue and that I should go to the nearest authorized dealer to correct the problem. Camping World fixed the issue at no charge. I have towed over 2,000 miles since the repair with no issues.
Thanks Camping World.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
I dont see the issue? I never use weight distribution when towing my Airstream......in the yard!
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Perhaps because you have air suspension? That will level the vehicle but not transfer weight, leaving the front steering axle dangerously light, especially on wet/icy roads. He should know better.

With a relatively short wheelbase, high center of gravity, solid axle rear suspension a Propride hitch would be a good choice.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa
Just to see what they stocked for WD and SC. Technician there recommended sway control only
What TV are you driving? My Chevy 2500 HD manual says WD is optional for my application.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
What TV are you driving? My Chevy 2500 HD manual says WD is optional for my application.
I would change the word "application" to "safety".

I would be very worried anytime safety is suggested to be ignored.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Your Chevy manual has no idea what you're towing, so it won't have the definitive answer for all cases. One can't look at just the tow vehicle in isolation, but only at the combination of tow vehicle and trailer, before deciding whether an "option" is actually a requirement.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
TV - 2012 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.3 HD towing package
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
TV - 2012 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.3 HD towing package
You have enough tow vehicle to tow the Queen Mary.

You also have enough tow vehicle to cause serious problems for that light trailer, unless you use the lightest load equalizing hitch made, and that still won't totally eliminate some damage. You will see that in time.

I would certainly suggest that you watch for things being popped open, thrown around and especially missing rivets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
"I would certainly suggest that you watch for things being popped open, thrown around and especially missing rivets."

What?!?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

I would change the word "application" to "safety".

I would be very worried anytime safety is suggested to be ignored.

Andy
Well you might want to direct that to GM (just reporting what I see). Page 9-95 has a table that says for the 2500/3500 truck with a trailer weight up to 18k lbs, use of a WD hitch is optional. What I meant by "my application" is that my 27FB is well under 18k lbs and therefore for me, GM is saying WD is optional.

I opted to get the ProPride primarily for sway elimination - I don't think the WD is as important for safety in my application. But I ordered the 1000 lb bars and will have the ability to transfer that weight if needed. Mostly, I just want to do as much as I can to prevent sway.

Certainly open to other thoughts here. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Your Chevy manual has no idea what you're towing, so it won't have the definitive answer for all cases. One can't look at just the tow vehicle in isolation, but only at the combination of tow vehicle and trailer, before deciding whether an "option" is actually a requirement.
Hi Protagonist - pls see my reply to Andy which clarifies exactly what I mean. I still opted for the PP hitch...just noting that the TV manufacturer says it's optional in their manual.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I think you are misreading the manual. Needing WD is a function of the tongue weight, not the total weight of the trailer.

My 2500hd is rated iok without WD to 1000lbs and then to 1500 lbs with WD. I've towed plenty of TT's with just the ball hitch to around 800 lbs without noticing any lightness on the front axle.

When you get heavy, you are usually getting long too, so you really have no choice but go with a good WD/anti-sway setup.

Center of gravity also plays a part - I have a car hauler trailer - about 24' long that sits low like an AS - tongue weight is around 1000lbs - I've not had need for sway control or WD on that one.

I wouldn't be foolish enough to advise any one to forgo a WD setup. But if you have a colossal truck, like a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, then depending on your trailer, you may be able to do without it.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher
I think you are misreading the manual. Needing WD is a function of the tongue weight, not the total weight of the trailer.

My 2500hd is rated iok without WD to 1000lbs and then to 1500 lbs with WD. I've towed plenty of TT's with just the ball hitch to around 800 lbs without noticing any lightness on the front axle.

When you get heavy, you are usually getting long too, so you really have no choice but go with a good WD/anti-sway setup.

Center of gravity also plays a part - I have a car hauler trailer - about 24' long that sits low like an AS - tongue weight is around 1000lbs - I've not had need for sway control or WD on that one.

I wouldn't be foolish enough to advise any one to forgo a WD setup. But if you have a colossal truck, like a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, then depending on your trailer, you may be able to do without it.
I certainly hope I'm not. The issue for me is moot as I opted to purchase the PP. However, attached are two snapshots of my user manual - if I am misreading something, please let me know. I've mentioned this fact before and would hate to be misrepresenting something I'm not understanding correctly! :gulp?:

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1235167119.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	181859   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-251225765.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	181860  

Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
I am learning quite a lot reading the posts on this thread so far- (it makes me second guess my setup) here is a related question maybe some could help me with:
I noticed in my service manual that "Tru Track Sway Control" was an option installed on some of the models. It says if equipped there is a box under the front gaucho. Is that what appears to be a black plastic cover? And how successful was this system on the Airstreams?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Those pages are poorly written. They are making an assumption of what the tongue weight would be - 10% to 15% of the total weight to determine if the WD is needed.

The manual for my truck is very different and presents the concept based on tongue weight, which is the correct way to describe it.

Think about it this way - the weight on the trailer's axles is 85% to 90% carried by them alone and is not transferred to your truck. The remaining weight is what you are trying to distribute to your trucks axles - hopefully fairly evenly, depending on your truck's configuration.

In no case would an 1800lb to 2500lb tongue weight for an 18000 lb trailers be acceptable on 2500/3500 truck even with WD. It would far exceed the hitch limits printed on the hardware. So that guideline in the manual is just garbage on the face of it.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher
Those pages are poorly written. They are making an assumption of what the tongue weight would be - 10% to 15% of the total weight to determine if the WD is needed.

The manual for my truck is very different and presents the concept based on tongue weight, which is the correct way to describe it.

Think about it this way - the weight on the trailer's axles is 85% to 90% carried by them alone and is not transferred to your truck. The remaining weight is what you are trying to distribute to your trucks axles - hopefully fairly evenly, depending on your truck's configuration.

In no case would an 1800lb to 2500lb tongue weight for an 18000 lb trailers be acceptable on 2500/3500 truck even with WD. It would far exceed the hitch limits printed on the hardware. So that guideline in the manual is just garbage on the face of it.
Most user manuals are poorly written but I don't see that I've misinterpreted the meaning. Below are the Chevy and Airstream manuals on tongue weight. Yes, Chevy is assuming 10-15% of the trailer weight as tongue weight (which the AS manual agrees with). The AS manual says in no case can the TW >1000 lbs and the Chevy manual says the max TW for the hitch is 1500 lbs. To your point, their own instructions would exceed their stated 1500 lb hitch capacity...

What I'm concluding from all this is the AS TW max is within the capacity of the TV hitch and Chevy is saying that the 1000 lbs on the hitch can OPTIONALLY be distributed at the user's discretion (perhaps because the suspension can handle that weight with minimal lift on the front axle but that's just a guess on my part).

That would leave 2 distinct questions:

1) is my interpretation of the manual accurate?
2) do we believe the manual itself is accurate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1839938575.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	181865   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1966590175.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	181866  

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Actually - the Duramax supplement says max trailer weight is 16.4k lbs (not 18,000) but the rest of the numbers apply...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared129 View Post
I am learning quite a lot reading the posts on this thread so far- (it makes me second guess my setup) here is a related question maybe some could help me with:
I noticed in my service manual that "Tru Track Sway Control" was an option installed on some of the models. It says if equipped there is a box under the front gaucho. Is that what appears to be a black plastic cover? And how successful was this system on the Airstreams?

Thanks!
(Before someone gets piXXed and points this out to me) I really ought to learn and do more research on the forums before posting silly questions that have been answered numerous times in years past! Sorry...