Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Installing a Hensley

Hi allI just picked up a very slightly used, three year old Hensley hitch. My question is the dealer who originally installed it put a two inch weld along the side of the mounting bracket. The instructions are specific in that they say no welding at all.
Are the shear holds enough or do others put a bit of weld for extra insurance.
The installation look straight forward. So far.
I think it was a great deal for$1,200.00. Hopefully no more sway. Anyone want a good Reese hitch?
Again I appreciate your replays
Thanks
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

NO WELDS!!!

Good possibility of severe damage if you get to the point of shear and they don't.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	195758  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
thanks Bob. that is exactly what I had thought. the instruction were very clear. the hitch that I bought was installed by the Airstream dealer in London Ontario, Canam. i beleive it is their normal practice to put a strip along one side of the mount. it was easy to remove with a grinder and a hammer so they didn't have much penetration. i will follow the instructions to the letter and go from there. i stsrted to install last night and ran out of daylight. so far it is pretty clear and simple.
thanks again
Pete
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Pete,

I'm a bit surprised that C-A would weld a Hensley.
They do follow their own road in many areas of towing, but are one of the best Airstream Dealers around. With the instructions being so clear on this part of the install, just wondering what the rational behind this is.

I was very pleased with the comprehensive install instructions supplied with the haha, less than a three hour install......BUT, mistakes can still be made.

Can you spot mine.....

Yes, the Honey Brown was a contributing factor.

POI...it will be easier to install the plate.....if you drill the holes for the bolts, thread them in, (to cut the threads before installing the plate), plenty of p-oil helps, clean well and install plate.
Good to have some spare bolts also.

Bob
Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Terry at Hensley ((800) 410-6580 ext 117) is an good resource if questions arise.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
bob
No problem with the Honey Brown but the jacks are on backwards, I think.... or mine are on backwards!!! Ran around to every fastener supplier in Ottawa area looking for 'self taping shear bolts" and no luck. Called Hensley and they said to use 3/8 x 1" lag screws. I give up. just need to drill holes, install bolts, torque it up and heading out Friday afternoon for some great fall camping.
when i was looking into Can Am I seem to remember that they put a very ligh bead with little to no penetration into the frame. i guess it does the same thing but I will stay with the manufacturer and put the bolts in......
thanks again to all.
Pete
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Hi allI just picked up a very slightly used, three year old Hensley hitch. My question is the dealer who originally installed it put a two inch weld along the side of the mounting bracket. The instructions are specific in that they say no welding at all.
Are the shear holds enough or do others put a bit of weld for extra insurance.
The installation look straight forward. So far.
I think it was a great deal for$1,200.00. Hopefully no more sway. Anyone want a good Reese hitch?
Again I appreciate your replays
Thanks
Pete
I'm interested in your Reese. Is it a dual cam?
Rockwell
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
bob
No problem with the Honey Brown but the jacks are on backwards, I think.... or mine are on backwards!!! Ran around to every fastener supplier in Ottawa area looking for 'self taping shear bolts" and no luck. Called Hensley and they said to use 3/8 x 1" lag screws. I give up. just need to drill holes, install bolts, torque it up and heading out Friday afternoon for some great fall camping.
when i was looking into Can Am I seem to remember that they put a very ligh bead with little to no penetration into the frame. i guess it does the same thing but I will stay with the manufacturer and put the bolts in......
thanks again to all.
Pete
The important thing to remember, they are called shear bolts for a reason....they shear.
Like I mentioned, cut the threads first before mounting the plate. Half turn in, back out, oil and repeat. Don't be in a hurry, it's not fun if one should break. Drill the proper size holes, (pilot hole first), a little larger will make it easier but defeat the purpose.

Yep...bass-akward jacks.

Bob
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
got 'er dun............ heading off to a great spot on the St. Laurance river this weekend.
thanks to all
great community
Pete
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
what an awsome hitch! traveling the 410, major highway at 65 mph. had 18 wheelers and a tour bus blow by me.... no sway no problem.. we hooked up at home and at the site on the return trip with no problems. we are still maried! thanks for all the help.
pete
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Sounds like you had success in installing and using your new hitch. Just check the strut bars for tightness once in awhile, add a little grease to the Zerk fittings and enjoy!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote