Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Question I visited bambi today...a level hitch question

Hi everyone,

I took a couple hours to go and tinker with the bambi today. Since we are still another 2 weeks away from our next camping trip, I needed my alumi-fix.

I decided to remeasure my equal-i-zer setup as many will remember, we put the hitch together during a crazy storm in a parking lot. To my (limited) surprise, my hitch ball height(unhitched) was quite different this time around. We had used the level on top of the electric tongue jack before and after today, I believe it is quite the opposite of a level. Using a carpenter's level on the frame my hitch ball height changed significantly.

2006 19' Bambi CCD

Level ball height with electric hitch level = 20.5"
Level ball height with carpenter's level = 17"

Re-checked the level on the floor of the bambi and the carpenter's level measurement came in as the right one.

A few of questions arise however.

1. What are the actual level hitch ball height measurements of other bambi owners for comparison?

2. Does anyone actually use the electric jack level? If not, what do you use?

3. Is the trailer floor or frame a reasonable (not laser-perfect, but acceptable) trailer level measurement spot?

I am going to head back out later this week and rebuild my Equal-i-zer with these new measurements. I would never have known I was "out" as the hitch worked flawlessly on our way home. I would be somewhat hesitant to even change it, but I'd rather be right-on with these things.

Another interesting quirk with the trailer is the electrical link between the vanity sink light and the lavatory light. You can't turn on the bathroom light without switching the vanity light on. There is a manual switch on the lavatory light buy without the vanity light switch on, you can't use the bathroom light. This created an issue with Nicole and I for a late evening "rest" break. I purchased a "DOT" LED light and stuck it to the wall in the lavatory to have a seperate source in the middle of the night. I assume this is because the light is linked to a GFI but let me know if I'm missing something.

thanks,
brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Brad.

I have never used or relied on the bubble level on the electric jack. I carry a small torpedo level with me that I keep in the lower shelf just to the left of the door.

I place the level close to the middle of the trailer, and level with the jack. It's more convenient to have a helper with booze in hand to let you know when you are level.

I have also found that if you place the torpedo level on the battery compartment top, that is about the same level-ness as putting it on tthe floor inside. It's more convenient too, but test one against the other.

As far as that light you write about, that's been a thorn in my ass forever. It would be real nice to just turn on a light in JUST the lav, instead of the whole coach, only to wake a cranky, growling wild beast, otherwise known as the wife.

My solution has been to use my AA Mag-lite flashlight, held in mouth while doing business, and hoping that it does not fall out injurying man-hood (what's left of it) or worse, illuminate the inner workings of the toilet!

Cheers.

Jonathan
Old 05-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
amazing dexterity...

Jonathan,

I wonder how my sewer solution would handle the mag light? Just how powerful is that little jet?

This is what I bought for the trailer today:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...s/Dotitlights/

Works great, I stuck it (it's removeable) to the door frame so that it shines against the curved aluminum. Illuminating what's necessary, skipping what's not .

Thanks for the info on the level spots, the battery box is a nice spot for a beer...and a level I suppose.

cheers,
brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Brad,

The first thing I did when I got my Bambi home was to level the trailer using a 4' and 6' level set on the interior floor and THEN adjust the 3 screws on the jack level to match. Once you do this AND keep away from further adjustments, the jack level will give you a pretty good idea if you are level....or close. I keep a magnetic torpedo level in the battery compartment just to be sure. I've been almost right on since.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Lights

I haven't looked into the lighting situation yet, but I'm sure that it will p*ss me off to no end until I find a solution for it. I'll keep you posted!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote