Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Husky vs Robin vs Reese / Drawtite Hitches

Well i just talked to my trailer pick up dealer and he says they are currently using Husky and Robin weight distribution/sway control hitches,which i don't think anyone has discussed on these forums. I still want to go with the Reese (straight line/dual cams)which they can get , but was curious if anyone has used these other hiches, and if so what do you think about them ? Thanks
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Strangely enough, I have used both. They are both lower-budget, made overseas hitches. From my experience, the Husky is somewhat better than the Robin. The Robin that I had was kind of sloppy, both fit-wise, and for longevity. I had to continually play with the head to get it to stay where it needed to be, it kept loosening while towing, and moving on me.
the Husky only needed to be adjusted into position once, and I never had to mess with it again.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hey Terry, thanks for reply.
Thats what i kinda thought (lower- budget hitches). This dealer usually includes hitch price/install when you purchase a rig from them. They get the best bang (for them) probably from lower priced hitches. My hitch was not included in trailer price so i have option of selecting exactly what i want.
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Hey Terry, thanks for reply.
Thats what i kinda thought (lower- budget hitches). This dealer usually includes hitch price/install when you purchase a rig from them. They get the best bang (for them) probably from lower priced hitches. My hitch was not included in trailer price so i have option of selecting exactly what i want.
Fred
Fred, that is the way to buy a hitch. I have seen the issue get confused too many times to count when the hitch is "thrown in with the deal." Unfortunately, when that happens, the hitch is usually the cheapest cost hitch availble at the time regardless of the brand.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
Fred, that is the way to buy a hitch. I have seen the issue get confused too many times to count when the hitch is "thrown in with the deal." Unfortunately, when that happens, the hitch is usually the cheapest cost hitch availble at the time regardless of the brand.
I've seen that also, and probably the best answer to this would be to ask for that amount of money off the price, and you can use that toward the hitch of your choice.