Old 09-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Husky Centerline Hitch... what d'ya think? (or recommend instead)

First thread, so... Greetings, all, and thanks so much for all the extremely valuable information and opinions you all share!

Some background information before I get to my question/topic:
We recently purchased a 25' 1972 Airstream Land Yacht Trade Wind. It has been gutted to the exterior skin (a frame-off restoration was done to the chassis --though there seems to be a bit of surface rust on parts of the frame, so it'll be interesting to see what I get into there; the documents that came with the trailer include invoices for gallons and gallons of POR-15 and all the various surface prep, etc., but...).

I purchased the Airstream in Indiana where my parents live, because the price was almost infinitely lower than a comparable Airstream out here in Colorado! I also purchased a tow vehicle in Indiana (identical to the vehicle we already have here in Colorado), so I don't have to drive out and drive back (we were in the market for a "newer" vehicle for my wife anyway).

I have only the previous owner's word to go on as to what has been done to the trailer, and when, so I am having Modern Trailer Sales in Anderson, IN, go over the Airstream (repack bearings, check brakes, check axles, check tires, etc.) before making the 1100 mile drive back to Denver.

The tow vehicle is a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). I'm not looking for anyone's opinion on the tow vehicle or if it's up to the task. Negative opinions regarding the CRD will be summarily ignored.

I am doing the restoration on the Airstream and will be paying particular attention to keeping it light (no hardwood floors, no tiled walls, no granite counter tops (!!!), etc.); the trailer (even when loaded) shouldn't exceed 5,000lbs.). Furthermore, the CRD towing capacity is rated at 5,000 lbs., thought the exact same vehicle (no modifications) in Europe is rated for 7,000 lbs. (and not just because of unit conversion!). I will also be utilizing Green Diesel Engineering's EcoTune, which has much better settings for when the vehicle shifts (especially with regard to towing), not to mention increased fuel economy, increased horse power, increased torque, etc. (185 HP and 335 ft*lb of torque).

I know the Jeep has a short wheelbase (104 in.). It's part of the reason I love the vehicle. However, I know it will also contribute significantly to sway and difficulty in maneuvering, so I want to be sure to address that (which brings this already wordy post to it's POINT).

Unfortunately I can't afford a Hensley or ProPride right now, so I'm looking for "what's best" in the $500 range.

After quite a bit of online research, I had settled on the Reese Dual Cam. However, when I asked the guys at Modern Trailer, they protested quite a bit, saying the set up on the Reese Dual Cam is so finicky (getting the settings just right) that it's extremely difficult to switch between vehicles and they just don't like them in general.

They suggested the Equalizer hitch, which I had already eliminated as a choice as a result of my copious research, but they also suggested the Husky Centerline, which I had not heard much about.

It seems to be priced similarly to the Equalizer and Reese, but I don't hear people talking much about their experience with the Husky Centerline hitch.

It looks pretty similar to the Equalizer Hitch, so I'm assuming it would have the same issues (super loud and too stiff, which is bad for the Airstream)?

Are there people here on the forums using this particular setup? If so, can you share your reasons for choosing the Husky Centerline and what your particular experience has been with it?

Thanks so much, in advance!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Welcome from Superior Colorado!

Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Remember, the internet is the place people like to complain, you do not always hear about he good stuff.

When it comes to these lower cost hitch set ups, I doubt there is much difference. I have the Equal-I-zer because it was easy to get hold of and it is easy to use. The centerline also appears easy to set up and easy to use. As does the blue Ox.

These are all passive sway limiting devices with WD capabilities. So, as I said above, I doubt there is much difference.

I am sure others can provide more quantitate information.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the group kidjedi. I did some research on the centerline before I purchased my equalizer. The one consistent think I seemed to keep coming across was the TV (tow vehicle) & trailer had to be quite level for connecting & disconnecting or it was a struggle to do either one. That was a deal breaker for me as I've been in many hilly campgrounds were my truck & trailer were anything but level with each other.
Good luck!
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I have a Husky Centre Line and love it. I did a lot of research before purchasing, and looked at several hitches. The hitch DOES require you to have the TV and trailer almost in a straight line to hook up, within about 3-4 degrees. I have not found an issue with height as a previous poster indicated. If that is not possible, I simply hook up and drive to where everything is straight. Not a big deal!!! The hitch itself is quite heavy and I bought one of the hitch carriers from Camping World to take it off and reinstall. I have pulled in some very windy conditions, both cross wind and at a 45 degree angle to the front of the trailer. Had semi's pass me and meet me on 2 lane roads in these winds with no felt or observed sway. I was lucky and was able to purchase a year old used hitch for about half price, as the PO sold his trailer without the hitch. Very easy to set up and very easy to hookup. Yes, I would recommend this hitch and would buy again. Good luck with whatever you choose for a hitch. Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The Husky Centerline has already caught my eye.

No I don't own one.

I think the issue about not being able to hook up the bars at an angle is its way of quietly saying that it wants to be in straight line.

My reading:
Bars (rating) can be changed w/o changing the head.
Bars are tapered. More like a spring element than a solid bar.
Head has spring element to return to tracking.

My equalizer uses steel on steel friction and it can wear the head where the sleeves pivot. It's already worn.

It's on my radar.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I like your Jeep. I also like your original choice of hitch. The Reese Dual Cam is excellent and is trouble free. I used one for 300,000 k towing a 25' Safari with a Jeep GC. It is now my stand by hitch. I have no doubt that I will put it to use again because it simply works. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have the Reese Dual Cam and like it. There is a detailed tread on the set up, but I don't have the link. I have a Chevy Silverado and a 25' Flying Cloud. The hitch was set up by the dealer, initially on another truck and worked well although they took some shortcuts. They set up the components on the trailer before I arrived and it would have been better to do the setup with the tow vehicle there. Reese has different instructions for mounting the brackets to the trailer if the TV is available. I changed trucks and spent a couple of hours adjusting the hitch and it worked well. I then changed from 1200# bars to 800# bars, spent another couple of hours and it still works well. I think that changing to a different TV will require some time changing the set up. I can't imagine that any hitch set up can be moved to another TV and not need some adjusting. It does have some noise with tight turns but I have gotten use to it. I had a Husky WD hitch with round bars and a friction antisway bar on our previous 19'. The hitch length was longer with the Husky than the Reese. I can't open my tailgate with the Reese, but having the hitch ball closer to the vehicle should be better. I have talked to several RV techs and they don't seem all that helpful or knowledgable about the hitches. I am sure there are others with more experience than me, who might give you better information.
Dale
Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the replies, everyone. So, the big deal it would seem, is that the cheaper "non Reese" hitches use friction instead of torsion. The Center Line actually *does* use torsion, which seems to be optimal (shock and force are not transferred to the AS by the stiff and unbending/ungiving arms of hitches like the Equalizer and Eaz). The Husky Center Line is looking good, though I have questions about the different models (if there are mechanical differences, or just capacity variations). I have contacted several dealers for answers and will post when I hear back!

edit: To be more specific... the *newer* Husky hitch, the Center Line, uses torsion. The older "round bar" model uses friction, and is thus, not as desirable.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I have a Husky Centre Line and love it. I did a lot of research before purchasing, and looked at several hitches. The hitch DOES require you to have the TV and trailer almost in a straight line to hook up, within about 3-4 degrees.
I'm thinking having the TV and AS in a straight line doesn't worry me that much (especially with the Jeep's crazy turning radius), so it's good to hear that THAT is the real issue (not the AS and TV being completely level to make it work). Thanks for the input!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
I assume people have seen this, but thought it would be worth posting a link:

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/towing_myths.pdf

It was written in February of 2009. Evidently the Hensley was new to the market at that point, so the author doesn't really say whether or not he endorses it. I find it very interesting how the author speaks specifically about the Reese Dual Cam really being the only affordable option, because it utilizes (real) torsion instead of friction. Transitively, this seems to be a nod in the direction of the Husky Center Line (which didn't exist when the article was written).

The author (an employee at Inland RV) does go as far as saying that the Equalizer is unusable (because of the damage it will do to the trailer), and the Eazlift claims to use torsion without really using much torsion to transfer force (and will cause further problems when it doesn't function as it should).

If nothing else, it's a very interesting read.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Here is another thread on the Husky Center-Line hitch from August (just last month), but it's closed, and I'm not sure why! Seems like there is some interesting conversation going on there that could contribute to the Husky CL debate. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-139367-3.html

I was going to post this paragraph from the article in the Nov. 2012 issue of Diesel Power. It's probably more of an ad than an actual article, but still, it at least lays out why Husky claims their hitch is better. :-)

"Breaking away from the equalizing hitches used over the last 30 years, Husky’s Center Line weight-distribution hitch system is self-centering. This means that rather than reacting to trailer sway by attempting to damp it, it opposes it—stopping sway before it begins. According to Husky, passing trucks, wind, and road conditions won’t unsettle the trailer you’re towing. The Center Line utilizes compression cylinder action to accomplish this and is also noticeably quieter than systems of the past."
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I assume people have seen this, but thought it would be worth posting a link:

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/towing_myths.pdf

It was written in February of 2009. Evidently the Hensley was new to the market at that point, so the author doesn't really say whether or not he endorses it. I find it very interesting how the author speaks specifically about the Reese Dual Cam really being the only affordable option, because it utilizes (real) torsion instead of friction. Transitively, this seems to be a nod in the direction of the Husky Center Line (which didn't exist when the article was written).

The author (an employee at Inland RV) does go as far as saying that the Equalizer is unusable (because of the damage it will do to the trailer), and the Eazlift claims to use torsion without really using much torsion to transfer force (and will cause further problems when it doesn't function as it should).

If nothing else, it's a very interesting read.
Remember, opinions vary.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love my Equal-i-zer, but...
It is persnickety to set up, too.
It took me 2 years of trial and error to find the "sweet spot".
I would love to have a ProPride, but it is not top priority since the Equal-i-zer is doing well.
I had an EazLift before the Equal-i-zer. It was a really good hitch and very easy to set up, but was more steps/work to couple/uncouple.
Another well-liked hitch on 'Forums is the Blue Ox Sway Pro.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center line, eazlift, equalizer, husky center-line, reese dual cam, wd hitch