Old 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Arrow What hitch to use

Hi, I have been an RVer for 30 years, always with a TT. I have used a Reese for about 5 years and a Hensley for about 25 years. The Hensley simply does what it claims beautifully. Having said that, it has some drawbacks. It is HEAVY, did I mention it is HEAVY? It takes some practice to hook up, not the easiest I have had. It is EXPENSIVE!! However, it lives up to its claims. I have pulled a 12,000 lb TT to Alaske and back without any difficulties. I now have an Anderson hitch that is both load equalizing and anti-sway. It costs about $450 on Amazon. I am currently pulling a 25' TT that weighs 5500 dry and 550 lb tongue weight. It works as well on this TT as the Hensley did on the 12,000+ TT. It has none of the Hensley drawbacks and is as easy to hook-up as any Reese or other conventional ball type hitch. Look on the Anderson web site for complete information and videos of this "new" type of hitch. I would highly recommend this hitch.
By the way, I have no connection with the Anderson Hitch company.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
I have the Husky Centerline and I've used it for 20K miles of towing this year to some pretty remote areas (I participate in very long distance BP matches). Here's my take:
1) The unit is VERY heavy
2) It actually works very, very well
3) I like the relatively easy set-up (dealer screwed it up, watch the You Tube video, fixed it myself)
4) The system is based on POSITIVE & ACTIVE sway control; the side pistons are always working to center the camper; in fact, that's why you need to line yourself up correctly because the bars actually have to be 'pushed' into their respective holders.

With regard to having to be straight - yes, you do need to have your vehicle in a straight line to make your life easier. When I'm in a tight spot, I hitch up and maneuver out to where I am in a straight line and then complete the hitching process and activate the bars.

I have hitched and unhitched on ground that was no where near level (remember, I end up in fields a lot). Never had an issue with that. You must be lined up - but never encountered issues with slopes.

Would I buy again - right now the answer is ABSOLUTELY! However, in ten years as my body starts to betray me, the weight may become an issue; did I mention it's heavy?

Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for your input, LongShot.

The more I read and hear, the more I think the Husky Center-Line TS is the way to go. There are also a lot of comments about how "quiet" it is. I didn't realize I needed to worry about my hitch being loud!

The only negative seems to be "heavy," but it seems like heavy often means stronger, especially with equipment like this. From what I understand, both the Hensley and ProPride are incredibly heavy. I have also read in more than one place from more than one user who have had both the ProPride and the Huskythat the Husky is a lot like the ProPride but a little lighter and maybe even a little better (and only 1/3 of the price!).

In this thread [http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...s-85341-2.html] ggoat!!! expresses his love of the Husky hitch so strongly, I have to assume he owns stock in Husky!

Same with 75thBambi in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ch-125343.html (gaga for the Husky!)

However, that same thread also has vwilleford saying:

"I have had my Husky Center Line for 5 years. My square 'D' pins bend and recently one broke off. Makes me nervous. Manufacturer says this is NOT supposed to happen....but had no answers. Thinking of replacing ....."

...so there's a negative for the Husky unless vwilleford has something set up wrong. If not, hopefully Husky has addressed the issue in the past five years?

The guys I'm having look over my Airstream before I drive it home quoted me $429 for the Husky Center Line TS 32217 (600-800# tongue weight, up to 8,000# trailer), with only $88 for install labor. The hitch is $406 on Amazon, so I'm going to take them up on their offer (especially since they've installed many of them, and I've installed exactly 0 --and also, evidently, they're HEAVY!).

There is an "Equalizer Users" thread active on these forums right now. It makes me wonder why anyone would ever use an Equalizer. Maybe I'm missing something? They just seem like a LOT of work and maintenance (seems like TONS of greasing and upkeep?) for a hitch that has solid bars that transfer shock to the Airstream (not good for the Airstream). Again, I only know what I've learned from a couple of weeks of research (no first hand experience), but...

It also seems like the Andersen hitch isn't as good as it has chains instead of bars/springs, and there doesn't seem to be much to the "active mechanics" that make the Hensley, ProPride, and I guess the Husky (!) superior (especially in regard to "centering" the trailer).

By the way, the difference between the 32217 ($406) and the 31390 ($650) is that the 31390 is $244 more and is MISSING the trunnion bars (they cost extra)! Evidently the TS is the new line. It's cheaper than the 31390 and supposedly every bit as good (for a lot less money).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
You said that you did some research that suggested the Equalizer was a bad deal. I would be very interested to know where that was. I have had a Reese, and experienced trailer sway on a short-wheelbase vehicle after setting it up exactly by the book. I now have an Equal-I-Zer (last time I am going to use that), and the my AS 27' Eddie Bauer acts like it is a part of the TV. I had no difficulties setting up the Equalizer, it was actually quite simple from my perspective. I have hooked up to the Equalizer in an extremely varied set of angles and slopes with no problem.

Let me say here that the way I hook up to the Equalizer is not by using the pry-bar but simply by dropping the hitch on the ball, fastening the hitch, and then using the trailer jack to get the friction/torsion arms high enough that they easily go onto their mounts on the trailer. Then I just lower the jack and all is well. No matter how far out of straight and level we were when I started, the system then straightens out and is fully functional from there on.

I did grease the hitch ball and get the noise reduction saddle pads for where the bars mount on the trailer frame, and that reduced the noise to a very acceptable level even when backing at sharp angles on uneven ground.

Before I chose the Equalizer, I did a very thorough search in an attempt to find a single loss-of-control accident when using that hitch. To date I have found none. I have found a host of people who, like me, have towed for thousands of miles in difficult conditions without a single control or sway issue. I am sure the Hensley and Pro-Pride folks can say the same thing (and do), but with a hitch that is a heck of a lot heavier and more expensive.

I recently had the opportunity to look at about an acre of recently wrecked travel trailers. Most had clearly gone over on their sides while being towed. Not one had an Equalizer, Pro-Pride, or Hensley hitch mounting brackets. Several were set up for Reese hitches.

All in all the apparent absence of a single complaint and, so far, no evidence of a loss-of-control accident is a pretty strong argument.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
You said that you did some research that suggested the Equalizer was a bad deal. I would be very interested to know where that was.
There's just lots of information on the way the Equalizer functions being bad for the Airstream. Because the friction bars don't give (they are stiff with no absorption), any shock from road hazards (or bad driving!) is transferred to the AS, and that's bad. It makes sense to be that torsion is much preferred to friction.

I'm also looking at the upkeep and maintenance, and the number of people who've switched away from the Equalizer (and been happier with other options).

The Hensley, ProPride, and Husky Center Line also have active "mechanics" that center the trailer, which it doesn't seem like the Equalizer does.

And like I mentioned, the "Equalizer Owners Thread" that's running on these forums right now did a bit to turn me off to that hitch!

Obviously there are people that are perfectly happy with their Equalizers, I am just trying to make sure I make the most informed decision when buying the hitch I will be using for the next 20 or so years!

While I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Husky, I think my second choice would still be the Reese Dual Cam; one just needs to know how to set it up properly (which I understand can be a pain).
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Two different Husky Centerline hitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
First thread, so... Greetings, all, and thanks so much for all the extremely valuable information and opinions you all share!

Some background information before I get to my question/topic:
We recently purchased a 25' 1972 Airstream Land Yacht Trade Wind. It has been gutted to the exterior skin (a frame-off restoration was done to the chassis --though there seems to be a bit of surface rust on parts of the frame, so it'll be interesting to see what I get into there; the documents that came with the trailer include invoices for gallons and gallons of POR-15 and all the various surface prep, etc., but...).

I purchased the Airstream in Indiana where my parents live, because the price was almost infinitely lower than a comparable Airstream out here in Colorado! I also purchased a tow vehicle in Indiana (identical to the vehicle we already have here in Colorado), so I don't have to drive out and drive back (we were in the market for a "newer" vehicle for my wife anyway).

I have only the previous owner's word to go on as to what has been done to the trailer, and when, so I am having Modern Trailer Sales in Anderson, IN, go over the Airstream (repack bearings, check brakes, check axles, check tires, etc.) before making the 1100 mile drive back to Denver.

The tow vehicle is a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). I'm not looking for anyone's opinion on the tow vehicle or if it's up to the task. Negative opinions regarding the CRD will be summarily ignored.

I am doing the restoration on the Airstream and will be paying particular attention to keeping it light (no hardwood floors, no tiled walls, no granite counter tops (!!!), etc.); the trailer (even when loaded) shouldn't exceed 5,000lbs.). Furthermore, the CRD towing capacity is rated at 5,000 lbs., thought the exact same vehicle (no modifications) in Europe is rated for 7,000 lbs. (and not just because of unit conversion!). I will also be utilizing Green Diesel Engineering's EcoTune, which has much better settings for when the vehicle shifts (especially with regard to towing), not to mention increased fuel economy, increased horse power, increased torque, etc. (185 HP and 335 ft*lb of torque).

I know the Jeep has a short wheelbase (104 in.). It's part of the reason I love the vehicle. However, I know it will also contribute significantly to sway and difficulty in maneuvering, so I want to be sure to address that (which brings this already wordy post to it's POINT).

Unfortunately I can't afford a Hensley or ProPride right now, so I'm looking for "what's best" in the $500 range.

After quite a bit of online research, I had settled on the Reese Dual Cam. However, when I asked the guys at Modern Trailer, they protested quite a bit, saying the set up on the Reese Dual Cam is so finicky (getting the settings just right) that it's extremely difficult to switch between vehicles and they just don't like them in general.

They suggested the Equalizer hitch, which I had already eliminated as a choice as a result of my copious research, but they also suggested the Husky Centerline, which I had not heard much about.

It seems to be priced similarly to the Equalizer and Reese, but I don't hear people talking much about their experience with the Husky Centerline hitch.

It looks pretty similar to the Equalizer Hitch, so I'm assuming it would have the same issues (super loud and too stiff, which is bad for the Airstream)?

Are there people here on the forums using this particular setup? If so, can you share your reasons for choosing the Husky Centerline and what your particular experience has been with it?

Thanks so much, in advance!!!
Welcome to the forums from Longmont, Colorado.

I think some of the posts here are getting confused between two different hitches.

Husky came out with the Center Line some years ago. It has disk-type springs in the head that push the trailer back toward straight when it gets out of line. On their website now, they call this the Center Line Towing System.

They have a new hitch called the Center Line TS. I have not seen one in person, but going by the pictures on the Husky web site, it does not have the springs. It seems like a clone of the Equal-I-Zer.

I have never used either model.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Installed the Hensley Arrow hitch on our 2013 25FB International Serenity and towed it home with a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. Once all the stuff was loaded for camping and the wife was also in the car, the CAT scale numbers ruled the car out as a tow vehicle. A 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel took over the towing responsibility. I kept the Hensley when the 25FB was sold.

We ordered the second generation design Hensley hitch called a ProPride for the ordered 2014 31' Classic. Many improvements to the Jim Hensley design that I really like.

We then also acquired a 2015 23D International Serenity and installed the Hensley Arrow I had in storage, I towed the 23D nearly 2,000 miles to a modification facility with the same Mercedes. This seems to be a better fit for the car. The Hensley performed as expected.

Both of these hitches prevent sway by their design, not by a friction device. The weight distribution arms are flexible to allow for vertical movement of the hitch assembly going over bumps and road undulations with less stress to both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
They have a new hitch called the Center Line TS. I have not seen one in person, but going by the pictures on the Husky web site, it does not have the springs. It seems like a clone of the Equal-I-Zer.
The Husky Center Line TS is very different from the Equalizer. The Equalizer uses friction bars (not torsion). The Husky definitely has "springs" (in the form of torsion trunnions) and functions in a very similar manner to the Hensley and ProPride (which are two different brands; ProPride was developed by a former employee of Hensley, but he is definitely no longer with them).

Edit: When I spoke to the dealer, he informed me that the 3221_ series (32216, 32217, 32218) called "Center Line TS" replaced the older, larger, heavier 31390 "Center Line" model. He suggested that both have the same "head," but the new TS line comes with the Torsion/Spring Bars (instead of having to ad them).

Looking more closely at pictures in reviews and magazine articles, it would seem that the Center Line has a "compression cylinder" in the head (more similar to Hensley and ProPride) that the TS lacks. This does lead me to believe that the TS is more like the Equalizer (without the additional mechanical components in the head).

It's also pretty infuriating (confusing!) that one is called the Center Line Towing System and the other is called the Center Line TS (uh... TS... "towing system?"). Why would ANYONE assume that those two things are different?!

So, at this point I don't really believe the guy at the dealer who told me the Center Line Towing System and Center Line TS are the same. If you look at the hitch head, they are clearly VERY different.

GRRRRRR.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Installed the Hensley Arrow hitch..........
And the rest of the comment discussed nothing about the Husky.

I'd like to see this thread be a dicsussion for the Husky Centerline hitch. Every other hitch has had multiple threads and as a reminder this is the OP's opening final question.

If so, can you share your reasons for choosing the Husky Centerline and what your particular experience has been with it?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
SSquared. I absolutely agree with you.

Husky Center Line Towing System:
This has been the Husky prime product for some time, it uses the compression cylinders in the WD head.

Husky Center Line TS:
This is the new product that DOES NOT use the compression cylinders.

I don't see how the new is better than the old, it seems like a very generic set up with horrible marketing crap to wade through. I don't see how it took 3 years to develop...

Maybe it has been designed to address the lower $$$ market???
Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
And the rest of the comment discussed nothing about the Husky.

I'd like to see this thread be a dicsussion for the Husky Centerline hitch. Every other hitch has had multiple threads and as a reminder this is the OP's opening final question.
To be fair, the title of the thread ends with "(or recommend instead)." Yes there are tons of threads on hitches, but they are spread far and wide, and trying to gather information from all of them is a painful task (I've spent weeks), so if we have a thread that focuses on the Husky (my main question), but gives some information about the positives/negatives of other hitches, I'd be very happy with that.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
So here is the response I received about the difference between the 31390 and 3221_ series from Modern Trailer in Anderson, IN:

"I do keep them in stock" (literally all that was in the e-mail)

AWESOME.

Here's the response from Husky (at least it includes an answer, basically, the TS is friction based [like the Equalizer] and the other is active [like Hensley and ProPride]):

"
Thanks into the difference between our two systems. The difference between to two is one is active & the other one isnít . If you could test drive the two the CL TS is a little more jerky because with a friction sway device it tries to hold the trailer at any given point during turning. Whereas the Hd version is active and more subtle as you donít feel that kind of response in the system. I will also include instructions on both systems."

So, evidently the 31390 is referred to by Husky as the HD? It took me a long time to find this hitch listed "HD" anywhere else, but it seems to be the case, so let's refer to the different husky hitches as HD (active) and TS (friction based).

In my opinion (based solely on research -no personal experience with the products), there is no advantage to the TS system over other friction based systems (Equalizer, et al). If I purchase a Husky, it will be the more expensive and much heavier HD, which is more like Hensley/ProPride with a greatly reduced price tag ($650, complete, on Amazon).

Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Husky Center Line Towing System:
This has been the Husky prime product for some time, it uses the compression cylinders in the WD head.

Husky Center Line TS:
This is the new product that DOES NOT use the compression cylinders.

I don't see how the new is better than the old, it seems like a very generic set up with horrible marketing crap to wade through. I don't see how it took 3 years to develop...

Maybe it has been designed to address the lower $$$ market???
Agreed. What in the world did "three years of research" result in? A product just like products already on the market (but a bit more expensive).

I think their original HD (with compression cylinders) is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #28
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Husky Centerline Hitch... what d'ya think? (or recommend instead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
To be fair, the title of the thread ends with "(or recommend instead)." .

Re read title and I see your point.

A hitch thread that includes or recommended can create a wandering life of its own, we've certainly seen that.

Somebody start a husky owners thread that owns one. We got an equalizer one running right now, ha ha has one and the Anderson one too.

This thread has shown you owners are out there.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center line, eazlift, equalizer, husky center-line, reese dual cam, wd hitch