Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Husky centerline hitch

Hello, some one have the Husky centerline hitch? New your coments on the anti sway...Thanks
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another hitch thread, this will get fun. Stand by for the same old comments from Hensley, propride fan boys.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I do not own a Husky Centerline, so these are comments and opinions only.

The cam heads using belleville springs as a centering and return to straight line just make sense to me. The industry that I work in relies on a version of the belleville spring and its unique characteristics. Also IIRC, you can use different bar ratings w/o a different head.

I'd also like to hear owners comments about this hitch.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Another hitch thread, this will get fun. Stand by for the same old comments from Hensley, propride fan boys.
Hey, don't forget us Andersen hitch lovers.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I too, am interested to hear from users of this hitch. I looked at one today in Winnipeg and liked what I saw. Have read several reports on other sites, mostly good, but am curious if many of us Airstream owners have them. Price seems to be midway between a HA/PP and the other brands. Quoted $1200 here, but see them priced less across the border. Will have to make a decision on a new hitch before spring, and trying to check all the options. Thank you
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
I've been towing my 2006 75th Anniversary Winick Prototype 19ft Bambi now for about 4 years and about 20 to 30 thousand miles with my Chevrolet SSR using the Husky Centerline hitch.

I LOVE it. The best hitch I've ever used. My truck rides and drives BETTER towing my trailer with this hitch. It PERFORMS.

When I first purchased this latest trailer I was going to go with an Equalizer, but the reports of loud pops and noises had me concerned. I hadn't even HEARD of the Husky Centerline hitch, and basically stumbled across one at an RV dealership in New Orleans. The first thing that struck me was how the hitch looked; it was meticulously finished, and just LOOKED good. So, it got my interest. I researched what I initially thought was an Equalizer copy when I learned about the compression discs and how they eliminate sway...while also eliminating the noises caused by the friction aspect of the Equalizer. I decided to try the Centerline, with the 600lb bars for my 19ft 75th Prototype.

My local dealer matched the cheapest online price I could find. The hitch has a lifetime warranty. I DID have the widely reported problem with broken compression discs as there was a batch of the hitch heads made with a soft metal problem upon initial release in 2010. However, this issue was taken care of immediately and I received a brand new hitch head which has traveled thousands of miles without a problem.

The absolute lack of sway is amazing with this hitch. I've NEVER felt that familiar sucking motion when trucks pass. Out west in windstorms I've never felt the trailer wander or gyrate whatsoever. My SSR actually rides BETTER when towing the Airstream with the properly meticulously set-up Centerline (which took quite a while to get it exactly right). There are no harsh bumps, no hitch binding clanks, no squeaks, no rattles, no creaks, no moans. The hitch is nearly completely noise-free.

The only negative thing I've found about the hitch is the weight of the hitch head. It is huge. And, it weighs a ton. I have a long Eaz-Lift 18" drawbar (that fits deep underneath my SSR) and the combined weight of that and the huge Centerline head is astonishing. It's difficult to get it up under the truck to mount it. However, it IS super solidly built...you could pull a train with it. But, with all that heft on the head is some great engineering. Tilting the head could not be easier...there are no ridiculous washers and spacers to install. The Centerline uses a notched square washer system that is simple and a design completely along the lines of "why didn't everyone else think of that" in that you simply move the washer in or out one tooth at a time to angle the hitch head. No need to completely disassemble the head to change the angle. It was actually FUN setting up this hitch...except for lifting the thing. I reiterate...the head is HUGE and feels it. I've never lifted a hitch head/drawbar so heavy.

I can't recommend this hitch enough. For anyone who wants an Equalizer type hitch but without the noise and more primitive design, the Husky Centerline seems to be the natural technological evolution. The compression cylinders are genius...and did I mention that there's no noise???

Basically, to sum up...the Centerline is like an updated improved Equalizer with nearly no noise and with anti-sway compression cylinders that actually work (i.e., the hitch doesn't work completely on friction like an Equalizer does-but it does that TOO). No cams to adjust, no bolts to break off, no risk of damage from too-tight turns.

Again, and I can't stress it enough...the ONLY problem with the Husky Centerline is the size, heft, and sheer weight of the head; it is literally HUGE and weighs an unbelievable amount even WITHOUT the shank; I need help lifting it into position and I bought it when I was 37 (I'm now 41 and it hasn't gotten easier); that's the only drawback I can see to it.

Just to give you an idea of how huge and massive (and did I mention freakin' HEAVY!!??!) the Husky Centerline hitch head is, here is a picture of it in its box before installation, with my boot included for comparision. Keep in mind these boots are also HUGE and a size 12...the hitch makes my huge clob boots look small!

But, all in all...a GREAT hitch. If you like the ease and simplicity of the Equalizer, you'd love the Centerline...provided you're after less noise and better sway control. Just be sure you can LIFT the thing.

Bottom line...the Husky Centerline is an effortless hitch which has modernized the Equalizer...including a great wrinkle finish that doesn't turn to a white chalk encrusted rusty mess.

Hope this helps someone!
Jeff
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Thanks for the report...Nice
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Jeff,

First, welcome to Airforums. A collection of very enthusiastic owners and lots and lots of experiences.

Several topics are shall we just call it Hot Topics and leave it at that. Hitches and tires lead the pack but don't forget towing from micro-tow vehicles to medium duty sometimes. I forgot gas vs. diesel too.

I run an Equal I Zer because it came with the rig. If you hooked up the hitch to the trailer w/o a TV attached and were able to twist the head to simulate a turn, the Equal I Zer would stay where you left it, doesn't return to center. The Husky with its compression springs (the bellevile springs) first requires force to go off center and then it wants to return to center. I think (remember never driven one or own one) this is a big part of its design.

Thanks for the info, now if we could just find a 30' trailer report.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Thanks for the welcome, Gary!

...in fact, however, I've actually been here for years and years.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Ho yes! A 30´ trailer report will be good...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Thank you for the infor Jeff, very informative. Hopefully we will get a report from a 30' or longer rig. I agree with your thoughts of weight, but still a lot lighter than a couple of other brands out there. Everthing I have read so far is positive.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
30 ft trailer report

I have had my Husky Center Line for 5 years. My square 'D' pins bend and recently one broke off. Makes me nervous. Manufacturer says this is NOT supposed to happen....but had no answers. Thinking of replacing .....

FYI, mine does pop once in awhile. No big deal.
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Is that the "L" pin as #10 in the parts list, that holds the spring bar on the lift bracket? How many miles on the hitch? Thank you, Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Chris, I see why one shouldn't post in two places... Sorry.
No, my L brackets are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwilleford View Post
I have had my Husky Center Line for 5 years. My square 'D' pins bend and recently one broke off. Makes me nervous. Manufacturer says this is NOT supposed to happen....but had no answers. Thinking of replacing .....

FYI, mine does pop once in awhile. No big deal.

Pictures of broken parts?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75TH BAMBI View Post
I've been towing my 2006 75th Anniversary Winick Prototype 19ft Bambi now for about 4 years and about 20 to 30 thousand miles with my Chevrolet SSR using the Husky Centerline hitch.

I LOVE it. The best hitch I've ever used. My truck rides and drives BETTER towing my trailer with this hitch. It PERFORMS.

[...]
So, evidently 75th Bambi and ggoat!!! are the same person (Jeff?), as this same Husky Hitch review is copied word for word from another thread. However, there is additional information and extra photos in this thread, so thanks for the update, Jeff!

I just wanted to clarify that Jeff has the "HD" (31390). Husky makes a TS (3221_) model that is friction based, just like the Equalizer (loud with pops and creaks, transfers shock to the AS, etc.). The HD is much better, because it has the compression cylinders in the head (which is also why the head is so heavy... there are more mechanicals in the active system).

The Husky Center Line HD (31390) functions much more like Hensley and ProPride, for a much reduced price tag. I think it is what I will be going with for my 25' Trade Wind.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote