Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Howard Hughes

There was a post about a "Hitch Helper" aka- a slimp wheel set up.

These are not new- even though the manufacturer is advertising it with a patent pending.

Here is a photo of Howard Hughes own trailer, custom made for him, and it used a set of front tires that were much like an aircraft landing wheel set up. This trailer is currently owned by Vince at the Auburn Trailer Collection, a half hour outside of Sacramento...

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	22319

I've seen at least 10 older trailers with slimps, including Vagabonds and Spartans. This manufacturer is selling them for over $600, about what some of the trailers cost in the 40's when they were originally built- times sure have changed!
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Ive read about this trailer on an outside of the forums website quite a while back and I believe its in the "ready to roll "publication hardback book .It was sais in the book that it was a home made trailer from someone who sourced the aluminum from the place of employment .Yes it is Vinces trailer ,but never heard anything about it being Howard hughes trailer ,or anything like that .Does not say that in the book as I have a copy.That sling dolly as it's actually called was common back in the day as the toe vehicals could in no way handle the tongue weights of those trailers ,as the longer the better was king back then .In the long long trailer movie ,that NEW MOON trailer used the sling dolly ,the mechanic explains it partly to Desi Arnez in the film as he's reeling from all the expenses ,good movie.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
With the placement of the axle that far back, more weight was put on the front of the trailer including the hitch. As time went on, companies learned to balance the weight better by bring the axle(s) forward.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Ive read about this trailer on an outside of the forums website quite a while back and I believe its in the "ready to roll "publication hardback book .It was sais in the book that it was a home made trailer from someone who sourced the aluminum from the place of employment .Yes it is Vinces trailer ,but never heard anything about it being Howard hughes trailer ,or anything like that .Does not say that in the book as I have a copy.That sling dolly as it's actually called was common back in the day as the toe vehicals could in no way handle the tongue weights of those trailers ,as the longer the better was king back then .In the long long trailer movie ,that NEW MOON trailer used the sling dolly ,the mechanic explains it partly to Desi Arnez in the film as he's reeling from all the expenses ,good movie.

Scott of scottanlily
"That sling dolly as it's actually called was common back in the day as the toe vehicals"

Vince calls it a slimp, so do some other guys- Vince is kind of like The God Of Trailers, so if he says its slimp- it may also be dolly, but slimp is good enough for me. I don't need one anyway- I have a really big "toe vehical".

This one, on what is supposed to be Howard Hughes trailer, is wider than most I've seen.
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Oh I know as I have heard the term before ,no biggie ,I believe the book Ready to Roll stated and it can be seen ,that the sling dolly really is an aircraft strut landing gear wheel setup and it does look it .Again ,sound like folklore on that howard hughs ownership thing .I will say if Howard Hughes
the perfectionist as he was ,and the hollywood movie portrayde him also as such ,that trailer would be constructed to perfection and it isn't and how did you tow it ? .By the way H H buick complete with a 24 volt airplane starting system in the trunk,and a air purifying sytem that filters all outside air ,as he was germaphobic ,went for , ready....... $ 4 million dollars at barrett jackson auction in scottsdale az, can you believe it .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote