Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I made no mention of hitches in the original post - neither did the videographer. The oscillation ostensibly caused by the lighter hitch load is quite visible in the video. It is up to you to draw your own conclusions. I have mine!

I posted it only because my wife said that -to her - it was clear that she could see the tail wagging the dog in the video - much the same as we have observed on other trailers being towed down the road ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Watch This

You need to watch this and get GVW and actual weight of your trailer before making any decisions. Search other Airstream forums for info on CAT scales to get your weights first.
Remember that Tongue weight and tire loads are CRITICAL!!!!

suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
1). TARE weight of vehicle. Driver only plus max fuel and gear kept permanently aboard. Scale values against door sticker limits.

2). Andy T’s article on setting T-bars (at home).

3). Three Pass Scale Method.

Steer Axle to same value in One & Three of that. TT tires to max value. TV tire pressure to actual load.

Test braking distances from One & Three. Should be better in One.

Other than this is typical ignorance. Or, what’s to be seen on road or at campground. Wrong TV folllwed by wrong hitch rigging.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote