Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have seen these used in my area for people who have multiple trailers and need a fast height adjustment. It would require you changing the hitch head prior to going into your driveway.

Amazon.com: Andersen Manufacturing, Inc. 3410 2" X 2 5/16" x 5 1/2" Aluminum Drop Rapid Hitch: Automotive

The professional mobile home movers have hydraulic cylinder moving ball mount systems that they use to hitch up the big homes, but they would be overkill in your case.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Are your axles good? Sagged out axles often make what you need to do, difficult.
Thanks for the suggestion but my axles are essentially brand new. I did get a bit of a lift installing them but not enough. There is a pretty large amount of overhang at the back end of a 31' Airstream.

Malcolm

Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I like the Powermovers but there is no way that I could use one until after I was in my driveway. The road out in front of my house is a 4 lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. There is no place for me to switch from my tow vehicle to a Powermover before entering my driveway.

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
Would it be possible to fill in the low spot with crushed stone?
It would be nice but part of the low spot in on the shoulder of the 4 lane road in front of my house. I don't think I can add anything there permanently.

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I am hoping to avoid having to completely swap out the hitch ball mount or any other piece of hardware when I am lowering the tongue. It is not unusual to be coming home in the evening after a long drive. By then I am tired and I just want to get home. I want something that is as quick and easy as possible - especially if it also happens to be raining at the time.

So far the best option seems to be to use an adjustable hitch ball mount where the two pieces do not completely separate from each other when the adjustment locking pin is pulled. That way there would at least not be any danger of the two items getting out of alignment when I was lowering the tongue with the tongue jack.

I am on vacation away from home for a few more days. When I get home I want to take some measurements and see where the hitch ball is now with respect to the receiver socket on the truck. Right now I can tell by looking at hitch ball mounts which ones might have the right amount of travel.

I am still open to better solutions. I wondered for example if I could install adjustable air shocks on the back axle that I could pump up when I needed to raise the back end.

Keep the ideas coming...

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Air shocks would probably be the best easiest install. My latest hotrod, a 51 Ford woodie, has an air suspension all the way around and it is great.

Another option is to sell the house and move to a better neighborhood friendly area
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Air shocks would probably be the best easiest install. My latest hotrod, a 51 Ford woodie, has an air suspension all the way around and it is great.

Another option is to sell the house and move to a better neighborhood friendly area
Do you think air shocks could be found that would fit the Airstream? How would I determine what size to get? The shocks seem relatively close to the frame. I wonder if it would be OK to put them just on the back axle? I wonder too if I would I be able to get enough lift by taking that approach?

I have thought about selling the house too and we may eventually do that so the solution may be short lived but I still could use a solution for now. As it is I am reluctant to take the Airstream out because it is potentially dificult and even dangergous to get it back in place - depending on the trafic.

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I would put the air shocks on the truck, change the ball height that way.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I would put the air shocks on the truck, change the ball height that way.
The idea is to be able to increase the ground clearance at the back of the trailer for easier driveway entrance and exit. I want to either lower the ball height temporarily at least 6" or raise the back of the trailer. I don't think putting the air shocks on the back of the truck would work for lowering the ball height. I suppose if I had air shocks on the trailer and the truck that I might be able to raise the whole trailer higher.

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I think this might have been mentioned, how about a second ball and hitch that is set way lower. You hook up your AS, pull it down the road to close parking lot, and then switch out your normal hitch and WD kit?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Actually you would have a lower ball height then raise the trailer to level for pulling, then lower the shocks when going into drive which would in turn lower the ball raising the back end...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Actually you would have a lower ball height then raise the trailer to level for pulling, then lower the shocks when going into drive which would in turn lower the ball raising the back end...
Yes that seems like it could work in principle. The problem though is that I have a 1-ton pickup that is already more than stiff enough in the back end even when towing the airstream. Also the truck currently rides pretty much level as is. I don't think it would be a good idea for the back end to be 6" higher for normal driving.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What about low rider hydraulics?
Low. Ride. Er. Don't drive too fast, now.
Hit dem switches.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What about low rider hydraulics?
Low. Ride. Er. Don't drive too fast, now.
Hit dem switches.
I might end up dragging the tail of the pickup instead of the tail of the airstream bit otherwise that could work. I had been hoping for a quick, simple and inexpensive solution though. I also don't want to make my pickup so cool that it becomes a target for car thieves.