Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
How to lock her when we unhitch

When we leave our gal how do you recommend we lock her at the hitch or do you think she is safe. Also shall we put a sign in our window dog aboard? tx, gail
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Be sure the 12 volt is disconnected should you have a power jack. A hitch lock is good as well as a lock assembly between the wheels. Take care.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gail, Check out this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f112...tle-46816.html

After reading that thread you will know what you can buy and why you should.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a vehicle parked in front of my trailer. A theif would have to move the vehicle before getting to the trailer. My boat trailer has a coupler lock and a locked steel cable throught the front and rear wheels.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
I had a booth next the a small company called Starlights, Inc. They have a motion sensing light to replace the porch light on your trailer. I thought it was a great idea. They're not affiliated with Hensley in any way, but it looks like a great security item. Here's the link: Star Lights, Inc. | RV Motion Lights | The Smart Light.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Thanks for the heads up on the motion sensing light, Ron. I suppose the housing could be painted silver so it would match our trailers.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
A hitch lock deters thieves from dropping your trailer onto a ball... but it is still possible to steal a trailer just using chains. To keep the trailer from moving, I believe there are chock locks. A variation of the chock lock is the tire boot. A variation of this is a J lock. I guess it depends on how secure you want your Airstream to be. Any mechanical lock can be defeated... the value is making it hard for thieves. If you have a restored trailer worth tens of thousands of dollars, you may want to consider going whole hog and putting in a Lo Jack. I'm sure the system could be modified for RV use.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What we need is a taser gun with a wire connected to the front hitch, so when someone goes to lock it on the ball of their TV WHAM>>>>

I wonder if Colorado "Make my day law" counts for an trailer?

For all you none Colorado people. We have a law that if you feel your life is threatened and the person is in, or just brakes the plane (as of the ruling on a case) of your home, you can shot them.

Some poor really drunk guy got shot, because he was braking into a home he thought was his.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
Just stencil "FEMA" on the front. No one will steal it then.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Colorado's "Make-my-day" law raises a lot of questions. It speaks of a "dwelling", so offices, for example, are not covered. In fact there is a separate law permitting the use of "reasonable and appropriate physical force" when you "reasonably believe" an "unlawful trespass" is attempted or taking place when the property is not a dwelling, but is other real estate. Non-lethal force generally cannot be met with lethal force.

The Make-my-day law permits "deadly physical force" in defense of a dwelling when you "reasonably believe" when there is (1) "an unlawful entry into the dwelling" and (2) you have a "reasonable belief" that the intruder (a) "has committed a crime in the dwelling", or (b) "is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property", and (3) "the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant." Note an entry is required. If someone is on the steps, but has not "entered", that's not good enough.

So, a "feeling" isn't enough. A belief requires some logical thought and can be objectively analyzed. A feeling is subjective. Some people are panicky for example, but unreasonable fear is not enough to shot someone.

What is a "dwelling"? This law does not define it. Common law burglary was defined as entering a dwelling at night. Colorado statutes have in some instances broadened burglary to include other real estate, but "dwelling" is not well defined in the cases and statutes on burglary. A cursory review indicates an attached garage is part of a dwelling. What about an unattached garage? A hotel room is covered under the law covering the entry into real estate allowing non-lethal force, but doesn't seem to be a dwelling.

Thus what is a trailer? It is not real estate, it is personal property, so perhaps the law about using non-lethal means to defend real estate from trespass does not apply at all to trailers. A hotel is real estate, for example. Yet someone may "dwell" in it either full or short time and the Make-my-day law does not mention real estate. Tax law allows a trailer to be treated as a second home, but that's not criminal law and only provides some, perhaps weak, guidance to answering the question.

So, this is an interesting question and I don't think there is clear answer. A jury is more likely to see trailer as a dwelling, especially in a conservative county, but there's no assurance of that. These cases are often resolved when the DA decides whether or not to prosecute the occupant. Maybe there's a criminal lawyer out there who has more knowledge of the question of what is a "dwelling" and need it be attached to the ground.

Attaching a taser gun to the hitch with a wire would fit the legal definition of a "spring gun". There's a lot of common law cases on that, but having one inside or outside the "dwelling" probably would get you in a lot of trouble. The Make-my-day laws are to protect occupants, not personal property, and they do not protect the exterior. No spring guns please.

Purman, you raised a good question. I have seen threads where people had problems with drunks banging on trailers and being generally obnoxious. Don't shoot them. Some may attempt entry. It's too bad there's no easy way to see outside the door in our Safari and the tendency is to open it when someone knocks. I think the chance that someone is trying to enter with criminal intent is very, very small. More likely it's a drunk who is stupid, but not particularly dangerous, and it's best to keep the door locked. It's good to have a cellphone and thus you could call the campground office is there is trouble outside. I know there are people here in rural Colorado (and I'm sure elsewhere) who think they can shoot you for trespass to land. They are wrong.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I wonder if you could electrify the step into your trailer, or door knob. Just throw the switch, WHAM they get a nice little 12v jolt. Just like I have had from working on cars and my tractor a few times. Not lethal but sure gets your attention

I think if you are worried about your trailer being stolen and have it parked for long periods put it up on jacks and take the tires off. It won't go anywhere then.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I finally got around to taking some pictures of what I do. Remember that nothing will deter the person that REALLY wants the trailer but I want to slow them down as much as possible. Here is the sequence.

I remove the hitch from the receiver. Put the ball in the trailer tongue and latch it. I think bring the chains from my equalizing bars up to the latch and put a padlock through them all. My father put some tangs to hang the bars on so the ends are near the front during storage. I then take my receiver lock and put it through the hitch and lock it.

The thief cannot simply hook up the the tongue. They cannot put the hitch in their receiver either.

Makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	84523   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	84524  

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
In this day of portable generators and power grinders you have to more, a lot more. As mentioned earlier, shutting off the 12 volt so the jack is inoperable is a good idea, next, put all the trailer supports down and put some load on them. Get a latch lock that is really difficult to defeat, one that prevents the ball from engaging in the tongue. Next, if you know the weather is going to not be windy, extend the awning at least a couple feet. You want to create the appearance that it is going to take a considerable and time consuming effort to steal your trailer.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a good tongue lock or coupler lock helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 436 (Large).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	84545  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
That's the very same model I use.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees View Post
I finally got around to taking some pictures of what I do. Remember that nothing will deter the person that REALLY wants the trailer but I want to slow them down as much as possible. Here is the sequence.

I remove the hitch from the receiver. Put the ball in the trailer tongue and latch it. I think bring the chains from my equalizing bars up to the latch and put a padlock through them all. My father put some tangs to hang the bars on so the ends are near the front during storage. I then take my receiver lock and put it through the hitch and lock it.

The thief cannot simply hook up the the tongue. They cannot put the hitch in their receiver either.

Makes me feel better.
I hadn't thought about the chains, great idea to incorporate them into the whole locked-up spaghetti-tangle. I also take the handle off my manual jack, making it just that much harder for someone to raise or lower the front end. I also love the idea of the FEMA sticker in the window!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Sandpoint , Idaho
Lock Brand

Robertsunrus: Did I miss it, or did you not mention the name/brand of hitch lock you prefer?
(Every time I follow-up on one and read the reviews, there's usually someone claiming it wasn't of much help, or gave false sense of security, etc. They liked it right up until their AS was stolen.)
kathy@bocinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We have our first electric hitch. What do you do to keep a kid from messing with the switch?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
We have our first electric hitch. What do you do to keep a kid from messing with the switch?
Add a remote for your use, then use negative therapy to electrify the switch to touch so non-intended users are conditioned not to use.

Action