Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
How much tongue weight? And other questions.

Getting everything loaded and ready to go next week. Nervous!
I read that the bulk of the weight is supposed to be in the front of the trailer to keep fishtailing to a minimum. My hitch has stabilizer bars so that should help. But right now I've got a lot of weight under the front two couches (should I move those trays to the drawers under the bed, which is in the center?
I'm going to read my owners manual again but I'd like advice from you folks too

Also, my first interior door (between the bedroom and the living area) is broken so it doesnt stay shut, not a problem because I want it closed. I want to lock my cats in the back half while we're moving so I'm going to take the locking pin thing out so it can't lock shut, and then figure out some way to prop it open (since the lock is on the bedroom side). Any thoughts?

Also going to rig up something to wedge between the outside handle next to the door to make sure it doesnt pop open. I'm thinking a rubber door stopper with a rope attached somehow...bungee maybe.

Oh, I don't know if this is the right place, but my table doesnt lock down. It folds down, and then just flops around. What's up with that? Any ideas on how to attach it....maybe bungee cord for that too, but I'm not sure what it could hook to.
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I believe that your trailer [all travel trailers] should have 10% to 15% of the total weight on the tongue. It should be this way while it's empty and stay this way while loaded normally. I would avoid trying to put too much weight in the front or any other place. Too much tongue weight could cause other problems. [overload the receiver etc.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
As to loading, I agree with “robertsunsus” in that 10% to 15% should be on the tongue.

If the tongue has too much weight bearing on the rear of the TV it will cause the front wheels to be lifted which will compromise steering wheel traction which will allow “the tail to wag the front of the dog”, i.e. sway.

Conversely, if there is too little weight on the rear of the TV it will cause the rear wheels to be lifted which will compromise rear wheel traction which will allow “the tail to wag the rear of the dog”, again sway.

When you say “stabilizer bars” I ASSume you mean “weight distribution bars”, which will re-distribute the weight on the tongue/rear of the TV to both the TV front wheels AND the trailer wheels, thereby off-loading the TV rear wheels. This re-distribution MUST be done correctly or you may not transfer enough of a heavy tongue weight; or if your tongue weight is initially too light it will further exacerbate/lighten it.

If you don’t understand the above you should find someone to help you with it before traveling.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The heavy items should go as close to the axles in the trailer as possible. This helps with the center of gravity.

The statement of 10-15% total weight = tongue weight is correct otherwise you induce another set of issues.

I wouldn't recommend penning the cats in the trailer. The ride will still not be as pleasant as in the TV, and they may well "freak out" If it is possible to keep them with you in the truck that would be optimal.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I wouldn't recommend penning the cats in the trailer. The ride will still not be as pleasant as in the TV, and they may well "freak out" If it is possible to keep them with you in the truck that would be optimal.
There's seven cats, and they do really well, they've been across the country twice It's my dogs who freak out about traveling, go figure!!

I guess I need to try to figure out a percentage of the weight, uggh!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
You should always travel with your table up and folded to the smallest size. With it down it will pull the hinges off where it is attached with the weight of the table bouncing.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
You should always travel with your table up and folded to the smallest size. With it down it will pull the hinges off where it is attached with the weight of the table bouncing.

Now that's the first time I've read that! It is good to know , but opposite of what I believed. This last trip is the first time I have traveled with my table in the open/up position - mostly out of laziness.

MonaxLisa - I'd suggest that, after loading your trailer for a trip (with weight placed near axle, and added weight distributed left-to-right as equal as possible), you pass into a CAT scale location and take some weights. There are lots of threads on the site explaining how to do it and what to look for. It will help you set your WD hitch appropriately for the safest towing. For me, this process was pretty intimidating but it provided me a wealth of information. I used the scales at a large local, commercial moving company and the weigh master assisted! Also, if you don't already, get a copy of the hitching procedure for your WD hitch. Many are on-line.

I travel with that bedroom door divider, and all window coverings, fully open. I found that I can see through the trailer to the vehicles behind me. Sometimes they are sooooo dang close to my arse that I can't see them in any of my tow mirrors! Buggars.

Here's a couple pics of door *stays* that I copied from this forum.

Laura
Attached Images

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Never thought about traveling with the table up. I travel with mine down and it did pull off the hinge. Screws into the edge of particleboard. I expect my repair to hold and will possibly continue with the table down. We travel with heavy stuff under the couch. I put in new drawer glides and put blocking under the drawer so that when the bottom sags it is supported. I like a little extra weight on the front. No real place to put stuff over the axles. If you dump a lot of weight in the drawr it will take out the 1/8 inch bottom or make it sag a bit.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
don't be surprised

Mona...Even with all your preparations and study.....you will be amazed at things that pop off, jump around, open up, etc., etc. Be ready for it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Good luck with your trip! Still coming to the Trinidad, Colo. area? You'll like it!
We have one cat that we travel with, and she does not like being in the TV AT ALL, she looks for places to hide and get away from the scenery rushing by the windows and is freaked out the entire time. So- we put her in the AS now, where there are plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in (her favorite is down beneath the gaucho) and of course she has her food, water, and litter box. I don't really know how she likes it but I do know that it is 100% better for our nerves up front in the TV. It seems like some cats like traveling and some hate it; with 7 of them, you'll probably have some of each. Good luck! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Thanks for the feedback I'm trying to figure out how to weigh it, I can't think of anything except on the freeway, and they're always pretty packed. I know that I'm going to be at capacity, so may be better for my nerves if I don't weigh it :-p

As for the table, that's what I was asking. It folds up (and down) against the cabinet/wall, but it doesn't lock up against the wall, so it flops back and forth, pretty weird?

I am SO stressed out about weight distribution now, I know the front is going to be heavier than the rest, just because I've got two dogs in the front (about 300pounds) and a bunch of canned food. I think I feel my hair turning grey already.

Oh, and yep, eventually up to Trinidad, but not until better weather!!

I just did a search for CAT scale to see about how to go about it and didn't see anything that seemed to help...what search term should I use?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
err, that's 200pounds worth of dogs
Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
OMG, are you really putting your dogs in the trailer too?

This is a fine thread about weighing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html
otherwise, search on "scales" and "weight".... though I found some very useful threads under "CAT Scales".

I THOUGHT I was close to maxed out on weight but was surprised that I wasn't too bad. It also gave me confidence to know where to set my WD hitch to get the optimum setting/safety. That was a huge relief. And I set my hitch per the mfg instructions. Now I know that I'm hitched the best as possible with the equipment I have.

Here's a CAT scale locator: CAT Scale Search
And this lists more places (not necessarily CAT associated): Truck Scales and Weigh Stations Locator for Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies at Truckstops

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
My dogs don't fit in a vehicle :/ One is a Great Dane who has anxiety traveling and tries to crawl into your lap. Let me tell you, 135 pounds of frantic dog trying to fit on on your lap while you're trying to stay on the road is NOT fun! He does really well in the camper we have (cab-over) with the curtains closed and his special doggy drugs.
Thanks for the scale locator link! There's a Pilot about an hour from here that has scales, I could stop there, I'll probably need gas by then anyway :-p
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
_

. , .
load the heaviest stuff OVER or just in front of the trailer axles, not in the nose.

secure things on the floor, otherwise it will ALL slide around.

don't obsess over the w/d just don't make the trailer REAR END heavy.

yes the nose should be 10-15% of the total weight,

but WITHOUT scale readings u r totally guessing, so just go with that.

fill the lp tanks and carry water in the fresh tank.

even if not full, water down low in the fresh tank helps.

of course if the axles are shot and brakes bad and lights iffy and hitch suspect...

well what the heck, u only live once.
_________

they are your pets so do as u please, but ANY critters in the trailer is a really bad idea.

(except for frozen fish in the fridge)

if you haven't ridden a travel trailer, well it's NOTHING like a horse trailer or moho...

that thing will be bouncing and weaving like mad (recall lucy in the LLT?)

and there will be carbon monoxide in the stream too.

lastly putting stuff like LIVE animals in the back end of the stream is adding insult to injury.

the back end bounces MUCH worse than the front, as in 6-16 inches UP/down and side2side ...

things left on a rear bed OFTEN bounce off then roll around.

many threads on the critter issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ide-26862.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ide-38575.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ids-21995.html

pets riding in a shell ON the truck is much different than riding in the trailer.
_________

obviously money is tight, but consider renting a van or other vehicle to carry critters

and serve as a back up when things start happening to the stream.

---IMAGINE being broken down on the roadside with no help for hours...

or getting help only to THEN need 2 sort out how to deal with the critters.

a second vehicle nearby/traveling along is better than having a cell phone or on star.

going south on i5 over the siskiyous is a big deal anytime of the year...

but right now is windy, cold, icy, and with fast crazy drivers...

every time i drive that pass there is at least ONE uhaul or rv laying in the median or over the side rail.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
I really wish I could keep my seven cats and two dogs in my truck, but it just isn't gonna happen. Even with a shell it will be way too cold for them. They have to be in the trailer, no other options