Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
had the trailer been 'rotated' as suggested, with enough force...this would be a supernatural towing event, right?
2air,

All I'm questioning is; why, in the video, did the guy rotate trailer with the standard set-up more than the one with the haha? He grabbed the haha trailer like he was picking up a marshmallow.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
... The viewer has no way of knowing the conparative performance based on watching this video.
byamc'

we don't disagree!

and i'll go one further the demo is useless! ok except for chat room fodder..

perhaps the mock up would have broken or collapsed?
how about 'no grip' on the toy wheels?
and so on...

it is like watching video of a guy with a badge whack on a fella without one...

define 'excessive/sufficient/necessary force'...

regardless IF you want or need to understand how a haha works don't waste time on u-tube...

YET...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
I may be oversimplifying the effect of the Hensley, but from my perspective it makes a travel trailer behave like a 5th wheel. The pivot point of a 5th wheel is over the rear axle, eliminating any leverage caused by having the pivot point behind the bumper. A Hensley essentially does the same thing with its trapezoidal linkage that creates a virtual pivot point farther forward - perhaps ahead of the rear axle for a tow vehicle with a very short rear overhang. So I don't think the Hensley can be described as a system for masking sway..
If I wanted a fifth wheel airstream, I'd buy a Pullrite hitch. A little less than a Hensley, and easier to hook up. Still thinking about one, actually.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
If I wanted a fifth wheel airstream, I'd buy a Pullrite hitch. A little less than a Hensley, and easier to hook up. Still thinking about one, actually.
Touche'

An all too often forgotten and better solution. If you TV has the ground clearance to mount a Pullrite they are the answer to most towing questions.

As mentioned I am currently haveing sway problems with my new TV. If I can not overcome them thanks for reminding me of the Pullrite.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
_

. , .
pullrite pricing...

isn't exactly that much less than a haha...

i rode in a pr setup and nearly purchased one...

till the details were clear.

-each hitch is 'custom' made for the specific tv...

-and generally NOT transferable to any other brand/model of tv...

-they need YOUR tv model info to make the hitch...

-exhaust may need to be moved/rerouted at YOUR cost...

-spare tire may need to be moved; again an owner issue....

-no return policy, except for defects...

-aftermarket tv mods (especially exhaust or suspension) may require a new hitch or return/modify of current hitch..

-some mud flaps are an issue...

-resale is again tv specific (so a unit that fits a 90s f-250 will NOT fit a newer 250)

-base price did NOT include tweaks or shipping...

also i vaguely recall capacity was less than a haha (1200/12000 vs 1400/14000 ?)...

i've forgotten the other things but resale and upgrades and no returns were deal breakers for me...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
haha vs pullrite vs conventional hitch

Folks,

I might be one of the very few AS's on these forums who have towed with all three hitches listed above.

my first experience was with a chev astro van towing a 27 ft SOB Award trailer. The experience was downright dangerous. I towed the rig from NH to MT without going over 55 because it became unstable and headed for the ditch at 60.

when we returned from MT I purchased a pullrite. The pullrite worked wonderfully and we used the rig for another 7 years. with the pullrite, pivot point is moved forward to just behind the rear axel. just like a fifth wheel.

when we purchased the AS we purchased a new tow vehicle.

I was unwilling to put the pullrite on the suburban because I would loose the spare. I purchased the hensley.

the 30ft classic is probably the most unstable trailers that AS builds. If you research closely in these threads, you will find an underlying theme of the unstable nature of the 30, 31, and 34.

I tow with a marginal vehicle because I need the vehicle for other purposes and an HD diesel Pickup is just not financially practical for me. I converted the 3.73 rear end to a 4.10 and all my tow issues were solved.

We had an experience many of you have had while towing at freeway speads with a severe crosswind. We were on I 40 in New Mexico with a strong wind from the south. The entire rig, tow vehicle and trailer were locked as one straight unit driving down the road. with the wind, the entire 50+ foot unit was canted in the wind. the trailer did not bend at the hitch. The hensley is a rigid link between the trailer and tv. The only the way the rig will bend in the middle is if the tow vehicle initiates a turn. the trailer cannot initiate a bend.

sometimes i ramble, i would much rather ramble down the road with my AS in tow. I would never give up my hensley.

Mark
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Hello,

Regarding the rigid link between TV and Hensley: if an excessive force were applied to the side of the trailer, such as someone running a red light and T-boning your trailer or someone changing lanes into your trailer, would there be a breakaway, or would that force be applied to the TV and lift you off your course and cause you to lose complete control?

Certainly odd-case scenarios but it could happen. The Hensley sounds like a smooth cruising hitch but from what I understand of it and how it transfers lateral movement to the frame and drive system of the TV, the worst case scenario depicted seems to be pretty nasty compared the reaction if towing with the WD hitch. ??

Cheers,

Doug
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
2air,

All I'm questioning is; why, in the video, did the guy rotate trailer with the standard set-up more than the one with the haha? He grabbed the haha trailer like he was picking up a marshmallow.
Hi, from what I got out of this bogus video, length wise, the conventional hitch was a Jeep CJ-5 towing a 34'er and the Hensley hitched set up was a F-350 crew cab towing a Bambi. I don't own a Hensley, I don't need a Hensley, I don't want a Hensley, But I think Hensley should sue this person for makeing a great hitch look like a joke.
Has anyone towed the same trailer, with the same tow vehicle, with a Hensley Arrow, a pullrite, and a ?????????? hitch? Unless I missed it, what was the regular hitch? Or was it just a coupler and ball connection?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
The video is a joke. The hitch depicted was a ..NO hitch at all. Just a ball. For the life of Me I cannot get anything out of the video. The Hensley is a great hitch I am sure of it. I am also sure the video should be scrapped by Hensley...it makes them look like they are trying to pull the wool over somebodys eyes.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #24

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
I may be oversimplifying the effect of the Hensley, but from my perspective it makes a travel trailer behave like a 5th wheel. The pivot point of a 5th wheel is over the rear axle, eliminating any leverage caused by having the pivot point behind the bumper. A Hensley essentially does the same thing with its trapezoidal linkage that creates a virtual pivot point farther forward - perhaps ahead of the rear axle for a tow vehicle with a very short rear overhang. So I don't think the Hensley can be described as a system for masking sway.

Effective hitch setup involves using all four tires of the tow vehicle to absorb and cancel sway. For that, you need sufficient WDH tension to put weight on the front tires. A low centre of gravity, stiff tires and a suspension system with lots of lateral stability all help.
You nailed it. The Hensley and Pull Right mimick a 5th wheel by moving the pivot forward. The pull right is easy to see because there is a real pivot, the Hensly uses a virtual pivot via the 4 bar linkage. Neither are magic and just like an 18 wheel truck, they both can do a jack knife. They just aren't as prone to sideload induced oscillations.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
just like an 18 wheel truck, they both can do a jack knife. ...
hi hosilver!

this is not so.

for the haha

in addition the 'virtual pivot point recedes during turns while the 5er and semi do not...

5'er and semi have a FIXED freely moving pivot over/infront of the drive axles...

haha has a moving virtual pivot which can ONLY be rotated from the front...

the hitch needs to fail/break loose in order to jack knife, going forward.

because the haha has so much turning potential (165-170 degrees approx) backing up can get to the 'jack knife' stage.

cheers
2air'

Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Pullrites are available in three models:
70 degree with 10K/1K weight capacity and 90 degree with both 10K/1K and 20k/2k.
the 90/10k is $2350, the 90/20K is $2915. Close to the HaHa.

2Air is correct about some of the disadvantages...depends on the TV if things need to be moved.
They've been in business since 1952 and have made some adjustments for newer models.

Just fwiw.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #27

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Just for fun

I got my GI Joe helicopter to photo my new green Mini cooper (slight overspray on the windows) with my brand new 'Himsley' hitch towing the '29 footer that I fixed the window leak problem (no windows) .
Tows Great in a straight line!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #28

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Humm, the photo went into cyberspace. I guess I'll have to live by the rules and properly size the thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hensley 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	47917