Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
I tried hitch shop. Nothing. Will search more. The dealer will only sell and set up Reese. I very specifically asked. The Anderson is so simple even I could set it up. But read varying reports about its WD ability. But if buying Chevy 2500 longbed with Duramax would mainly benefit from sway control. It's simple to use and weighs 60 lbs. Like I said, interesting.

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
As stated towed 28ft Airstream over 180k miles with the Reese dual cam so am ok with it....however also tow large work trailers and boat without the dual cam hitch (just ball only) and can say that turning off truck's (Ford) auto sway control does negatively change towing in gusty cross winds although it's not noticeable (either on or off) when towing with the dual cam. Suggest if buying new tow vehicle maybe lean toward auto sway control if available, sure helps can't hurt...only down side is it is default "on", you have to turn it "off" if you don't want it.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Can you elaborate on small movements you mention with Reese and/or other WD hitches?

Dan
A small amount of sway, never too bad. Never felt it with the Propride but have just 10k miles so things are still new.

My dealer set up my Propride as I had it shipped to them. At the time somebody here on the forum said that I should do it myself so that I truly understand it and can make adjustments down the road. I just did not have time, in retrospect I wish installed it myself to know everything about it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I installed my ProPride with the assistance of a bottle jack and my teen-age daughter. Followed the directions carefully. Did need to get a 250 foot-pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight to put the stinger together. Other than that, took a couple hours to install, set up, and adjust.

I appreciate the lack of sway, have no issues hooking up, even at extreme angles (60 degree or more one time) and it keeps me very happy on the safety side as well. Happy camper ( no pun intended) 😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

I like your use of the as a way to back out of an inflammatory comment. It is sort of like Fox News saying something and then later posting a retraction.

You may rest assured that I have no intent of posting a retraction...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

Why does everyone get butt hurt talking about hitches?

I thought I was crazy till I started reading here. And I am BTW. Been tested and everything.

Starting to love this acronym talk. OMG. HMU. BFD. SMF. Etc.

Just say what you like or don't like about the different models.

Nothing personal involved when discussing varying designs of steel objects.

Obviously they all work in varying degrees.

Any of you fragile flowers have an opinion on the Anderson Hitch?

Tissues in hand.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yes - I have an opinion on the Andersen.

(I'm not a user - I base this on what I've read in the forums...)

The Andersen can be a good option for those who have relatively light trailers/tongue weight and heavy duty tow vehicles because it apparently doesn't move tons of weight to the front axle of your toe vehicle - so with a heavy duty truck, you might not need more than 50% front axle load restoration (FALR).

Users of it claim it is much better with "porpoising" and it's lightweight and easy to install - not to mention relatively affordable.

That free advice is with everything you paid for it!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

Thanks man/woman. If buying 30' AS and Chevy 2500 longbox, would the Anderson be a poor choice in your opinion?

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Everything you every wanted to know about the Anderson and then some:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When it comes to hitches I am more like a strong weed than a fragile flower.

As one of the early users of the Andersen and the poster of the tread here that took such vehement criticism from those who now know they over spent for their hitch I will say this.

I just came in, and saw this post, from spending 2 or 3 minutes hooking up my 34 ft 8,900 lbs trailer using my Andersen hitch. That is normal how ever I am parked.

Having towed for more than 45 years, during which time I designed a Reese Dual Cam system, to work with a trailer with surge brakes, have used several versions of the Dual Cam, of which I suggested several design changes to Reese, and the Straight Line system, again suggesting design changes to Reese. Given that history I saw and changed to the Andersen system 3 years ago.

I had been told by Reese and the maker of the trailer with surge brakes that what I wanted to do could not be done. Worked great.

So I for one tend not to listen to the "Nay Sayers" especially when they are using out date requirements for their comments. If you are towing with a truck, not a soft sprung car, you can use the Andersen and take advantage of it's advantages,

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Thanks man/woman. If buying 30' AS and Chevy 2500 longbox, would the Anderson be a poor choice in your opinion?

Dan

As an FYI - I thought my wife and I would both use this account and that never panned out. I'm a guy 😃

Bad choice? Depends on your goals. I've said before - any of the major brands set up properly will likely serve you well.

What's the tongue weight on the 30?

Your Chevy 2500 probably (check your manual) only asks for 50% FALR. Assume attaching the trailer lifts 500# off your front axle, you would need only 250# put back on the axle and the Andersen can likely do that. Reduced porpoising could make the ride very comfy. Lightweight and easy to use- what's not to love about that?

Its sway reaction is friction based. There are pros and cons to that and their version of it is unique.

Looks very innovative and most users seem very happy with it.

Have you figured out what your criteria are yet? That's the only way to know whether any particular answer is a good or bad choice.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Forgot to mention as I was called to dinner. My daughter's trailer uses and Andersen. There is NO effort involved when hooking up other than sliding the pins in place, connecting the umbilical cord, and draping the chains.

The original design did not provide for lifting the combination high enough to not have to use the wrench. That has been changed.

Now I will admit the above description is under straight on conditions TV to trailer. Those condition don't always happen in a campground with tight sites or changes in terrain. Should you have these conditions it would require loosing the tension chains on the Andersen to allow swinging the triangular plate into position with respect to the ball shaft. That could add an additional minute to your hook up time and wold require use of the supplied socket wrench.

It comes down to these consideration. Cost, 1/4 of a PePe. Ease of hitching, minutes instead of up to an hour. Lack of porpoising, all bar systems have a resonate frequency about equal to the tar strips in the highway at 60 mph. No need for frequent readjustments. Ease of installation. Lack of noise. No restrictions on backing up. No grease. Less weight.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
The Anderson WD hitch looks like a very interesting design.

Dan
The Anderson WD Anti-Sway is for small units with low tongue weight.

Prior to buying the 2015 Bunk I called and spoke to Anderson at length describing the TV, Trailer and tongue weight and he convinced me it would work well. I had the AS dealer install it. It is the worst tow experience I have ever had. Immediately after I arrived home I called Anderson back and spoke to the same sales rep and he blamed it on the TV and tongue weight like we had never had the previous conversation. I put it on Craig's List for half what I paid for it and went to the PP. You can only compress the high density rubber (springs) a certain amount (light load) or it losses all its effectiveness. I should have gone with my gut instead of the snow (sales) job. What I deduced from the second conversation with Anderson is under 23' and maybe 300-400 pounds. Live and Learn! With that said I am glad it happened otherwise I would not have bought the PP.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

One thing I like about the Anderson is it looks very easy to use with a lifted truck. Two size hitches, which can be mounted up or down. My truck will have 2-4" lift kit with 35x12.5x18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Likely silver Chevy 2500 4x4 crew Duramax longbox.

2012FB,

What tow vehicle were you using with the Anderson?

Steve, thanks MAN.

Howie,

Strong weed, love it. Sounds like you and many others are enjoying the Anderson. I read a lot of old post last night from that Moby Dick Anderson Hitch thread. Puzzles me how so many folks towing similar sized rigs have such contrasting views of the Anderson. I've read of many folks towing huge Airstreams and loving the Anderson. Then read things like above saying its fit for Bambi's. I have to wonder what role the tow vehicle plays, which was not apparent in most the old threads. There is a disconnect somewhere, that's for sure.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Anderson hitch is basically an expensive friction sway control device, it is completely inept at distributing weight. Tried to tighten the weight distribution chains and after a long trip the urethane bushings were bulged to no effectiveness and the friction material was squeezing out of the socket. The chains had worn partially through (greasing helped) and the chrome was worn off the ball, the steel was then wearing.

In operation it may control sway, but like all friction sway control the trailer was pushed around by semi's and crosswinds (badly). With the urethane bushings completely compressed trying (and failing) to get weight distribution, it had virtually no flexibility (and thereby less porpoising) and a lower banana wrap panel at the front pulled the rivets loose on the Airstream. The steering on our truck was dangerously light on rain-soaked roads.

Then I learned the Andersen is not compatible with the Airstream hitch coupler, will wear the latch and possibly disconnect the Airstream from the truck. Andersen now includes that warning in the package but no other advisory. The solution is to cut off your Airstream coupler and weld on a compatible model.

Enough. I called Sean and ordered a ProPride, vastly superior in every way and exceptionally easy to use. The retailer (not Anderson) refunded my money for the Andersen.

Airstream 25' Flying Cloud and 2012 Ram 1500 pickup.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
By the way, porpoising is normally caused by insufficient weight distribution, not weight distribution bars. Get a capable weight distribution hitch, set it up properly, and porpoising is of no concern.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think anyone with the least amount of the knowledge of physics will question the statement that porpoising if a function of static load rather than the resonant frequency of the supporting material.

Those of you that live in areas of good roads most likely don't even know what porpoising is thankfully. However we in the northeast are not as lucky and thus the consideration.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The only place(s) my rig has ever porpoised was on a concrete road surface with raised expansion joints, say The Atchafalaya Viaduct.

I suspect if it was related to weight distribution it would either happen a lot or never happen...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:

Howie,

Strong weed, love it. Sounds like you and many others are enjoying the Anderson. I read a lot of old post last night from that Moby Dick Anderson Hitch thread. Puzzles me how so many folks towing similar sized rigs have such contrasting views of the Anderson. I've read of many folks towing huge Airstreams and loving the Anderson. Then read things like above saying its fit for Bambi's. I have to wonder what role the tow vehicle plays, which was not apparent in most the old threads. There is a disconnect somewhere, that's for sure.

Dan
You would have to go back to the original Andersen tread and follow those interested in the money. Yes there are many of us towing large Airstreams with the Andersen. And yes I have repeatedly stated that softly sprung vehicles that were the originally intended uses for the bar type WD hitch can not take advantage of the Andersen technology. The Andersen was designed for todays needs not those of 50 years ago.

I will have to leave it to the opposition for now as i am going on vacation towing my big Airstream with my Andersen. See you in a few weeks.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #180
4 Rivet Member

Have a great trip man.

I'm going to buy the Pro Pride.

Sorry, PP3P

Dan

- Nancy Newhall