Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Sorry, meant Dan.

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Chances are you'll buy a trailer, they'll install whatever hitch they sell, and it will work perfectly.
A ProPride ( PP, PPP, or whatever) will take a little more forethought- you will order it from Sean, have it shipped to the dealer, and they will install-
Follow all of PharmGeek's posts on the decision process, purchasing a tow vehicle, etc. That man had over 1,000 posts on 'Forums before he even bought his trailer. He did his homework, due diligence, research, etc. PharmGeek ended up with a FC (there I go with that jargon again) 30' bunk and a Ram diesel 2500 for his family of 4 and a smaller breed dog. He was 30 when he purchased his rig. The sooner you can start living the dream the better-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a Reese with the friction sway (not dual cam). It works, but it has two issues:
1. It's easy to set the friction bar too strong or too loose when you're hooking up. I've done it a few times.
2. The directions state you should loosen it if towing in the rain, but we still need sway control in the rain! I believe the reason you're supposed to loosen it is because they can rust and jam.

That said, now that I have it set up correctly, trucks passing me is a nonevent. I occasionally drive on a two-lane road, with 55 mph speed limit, and only a yellow line separating the directions of traffic, and when a truck blows by there isn't even a wiggle.

Still, I wouldn't recommend our hitch because of what I said above. Get at least a dual cam system. I intend to replace ours someday with a ProPride, because the reviews are excellent, you see very few available used (which implies to me that people buy them and keep them), and the owner, Sean, occasionally pops into AIR Forums to help answer questions, which is customer service worth supporting. That said, I don't believe my hitch is in any way unsafe. Sub-optimal? Probably. But not unsafe.

The most important thing, no matter what brand/type: Make sure it's set up correctly.

Don't assume your dealer will set up the hitch correctly (even ones they sell!); they often don't. It's not hard to find threads around here where the dealer put far too heavy lifter bars on it, didn't actually apply any weight to the lifter bars, etc. And those are just the ones where the owner realized something was amiss - how many others are floating around that are wrong?

One suggestion I have would be to find someone in your area who is familiar with hitches to look over the setup when you have it. Airstream rallies (WBCCI or other) are great for this. If I rolled into a rally with a badly-set-up hitch, I'd probably have a couple people stop by to ask if I needed help. In general, you're looking for a level rig - the truck is level front to back, the trailer is level front to back. There's more to it than that, but a level trailer means you're at least in the right ballpark.

Good luck!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Dan,
In regards to distance towed with the Reese,
there was no mistake made when I bought it.
In regards to the AirSafe, I've used it for 5 years and am very pleased with it.
Go ahead and buy your own and figure it out
I'm confident that with your insight you will manage quite well.
Oh yes the mayo and 'mater sammich was great.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Thanks Larry.

I see in your signature line you are using an Air-safe along with Reese DC. Was curious if you would share your thoughts on that. It was suggested to me earlier, in reference to being easier on the TT, but I have not heard much about them otherwise.

Sounds like buying a RDC from my local AS dealer is your suggestion. Wondering what role an Airsafe would play in that setup.

I really felt compelled to use AS for Airsafe, but was afraid someone would think I meant Airstream by using AS.

And you suggest going to local dealer and making my own mistake, but I told you in my original post that all they sold and set up was Reese WD hitches.

You have reported towing with a Reese WD hitch over 200,000 miles. Are you being sarcastic, or are you literally telling me that buying the same WD hitch you own is a mistake?

When you finish your spam and mater sandwich HMU.

Hit me up, kids use it texting.

Dan
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #145
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
I appreciate the criticism. I'm carrying an infant and toddler, and will just happen to be also towing a camper. Safety is my only priority. In the remainder of my post you didn't quote I was very specifically asking what realistic percentage of weight would be applied to front axles and trailer axles.

Layman's math suggest a transfer of 100 lbs now, 250-300 lbs later as kids grow, would have me within safety specs from manufacturers. Your quote only carries forward the background data, and does not include my actual question.

As for the purpose of that post, a very specific question. Which is, how much weight would a properly set up WD hitch distribute to front tow vehicle axle, to trailer axles, and how much TW would remain on rear tow vehicle axle.

Dan
Dan, there is a "show us your weights" thread somewhere with weight scale readings. That might give you some idea.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
This book typically comes with the new trailer in the documentation bag. I suggest splurging, buying and reading it before the trailer arrives. Lots of good information and no distracting comments from the peanut gallery!

Newbies Guide to Airstreaming - Airstream Life store

This chap also published a very good magazine (Airstream Life) among his other activities.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
So, I use a Reese dual cam, old style. And I had the 'twitchy' problem mentioned way above. The twitchy problem is actually why I bought a ProPride. No twitch with a ProPride.

HOWEVER, the Reese dual cam was twitchy because i did not have it set up right.

To set up the reese dual cam you need to adjust it so in a straight line of car and trailer the bar cradle sets exactly onto the lower arm. This is an easy adjustment. You put the bars on and under load. Then loosen the lower arm brackets and the arm will move, almost snap, (because it's under load) exactly into the bar cradle. Then tighten the brackets (u-bolts).

Once I did this adjustment THERE WAS NO TWITCH IN THE REESE DUAL CAM.

And then i sold the ProPride cause I just did not need it.

One trick to remember is to mark your bars for what side they belong on. There can be very minor length differences between bars so mark them and keep them on the sides that you have adjusted them for.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I don't get the anger against these Hensley designed hitches...

If a person likes theirs, they like to talk about them.

I like them because they do EXACTLY as they are advertised to do. This is rare indeed these days.

I also like them because they are designed and built by small businesses right here in America...

I see the day when many who complain about their cost will buy one when they are made offshore and sold for half the price....

I wonder how many "competing" hitch brands are made offshore?
Anger? No anger directed at the hitch, it has more to do with the owners who need to justify their expenditures by telling the rest of us our choice is "obsolete", "unsafe" and that, by insinuation, we are making the wrong decision to purchase anything other than a HA or a PP. You might be surprised to know that some others are also made in America.

I like your use of the as a way to back out of an inflammatory comment. It is sort of like Fox News saying something and then later posting a retraction.

Dan,

I have absolutely no experience with a Reese but after reading this much too long thread I see where there are some posters who have and they have great things to say. A couple even mentioned that they had used a PP and liked the Reese better. There are some very good hitches out there that have been around a long time and have gone through many improvements. You will be pulling the best trailer on the road when it comes to stability going down the highway. My feeling is the same as an earlier post. Pick a hitch and get it set up correctly for your combination. You should have it weighed to determine what correct is.

If you want an HA or a PP then go out and get one. They are very good hitches. If you go with the Reese or Equalizer then go that way.

I have an Equalizer and have towed over 30K with it without a single incident. It is easy to hook and unhook and I have never experienced sway even under a lot of different situations. That said, I would never be presumptuous enough to tell others that mine is the best.

Research is a great thing but there comes the time when you have to make a decision. Make it and then move on. Don't let the pressure from a vocal few influence you.

Best wishes,

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you folks getting this thread back on track. All of your replies are valued. I intentionally ruffled some selective feathers yesterday so the blowhards and crayon eaters would go away.

I listed names specifically thanking folks that had helped, hoping they might stick around and move the conversation forward. Sorry if I left out a few names, like Larry, whom I did appreciate responses from.

This is not a brand name pissing contest. I'm trying to buy something that even with my limited insights can appreciate as a crucial item regarding towing safety. To the extent possible, I want to avoid any mistakes as I'm selecting Airstream, truck, and WD hitch at the same time.

It's hard being this dumb and I thank you all.

I'm dying for a mater and mayo sandwich...

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Dan, there is a "show us your weights" thread somewhere with weight scale readings. That might give you some idea.
Thanks.

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

I tow my 28ft International with a 2015 F350 SuperCrew w/8ft box.Most people don't realize that the newer 1 ton trucks will also squat when hooked to a trailer with a 1000- 1200lbs tongue weight so yes a WD hitch is needed.With these later model HD trucks they have very light primary leaf springs thus a smother ride unloaded unlike their predecessors but as you load the suspension the other springs come into play as needed in graduated increments.It is also my experience that when a WD hitch is used the overall ride quality is diminished due to the wheelbarrow effect created.this I also found true when pulling the same trailer with a 2010 F150 Supercrew with a 1750 lbs payload rating.I installed a Airsafe hitch that allows the Airstream tongue float and move up and down independent of the truck.I have used a Equalizer 4pt WD in conjunction with this setup for 60,000 miles of hassle free towing.Last year near the south rim of the Grand Canyon we experienced crosswinds that exceeded 70mph for almost 80 miles.I have passed thousands f semi's.cross crossed the Rocky Mtns.Driven thru unexpected ice storms and snow.I have performed many accident avoidance maneuvers and recovered gracefully.Returning from the BWAC in northern Mn two years ago we had to back up a 1/2 a mile on a narrow county road that was closed due to flooding.
For my application I could not ask for a better setup.
I cannot speak for the PP or Hensley as they will not work with a Airsafe hitch.But I can say that the Airsafe hitch helps the ride quality for the tow vehicle and the Airstream when it's connected .With the Equalizer I experience no sway at any speed to 75mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #152
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I have a Reese with the friction sway (not dual cam). It works, but it has two issues:
1. It's easy to set the friction bar too strong or too loose when you're hooking up. I've done it a few times.
2. The directions state you should loosen it if towing in the rain, but we still need sway control in the rain! I believe the reason you're supposed to loosen it is because they can rust and jam.

That said, now that I have it set up correctly, trucks passing me is a nonevent. I occasionally drive on a two-lane road, with 55 mph speed limit, and only a yellow line separating the directions of traffic, and when a truck blows by there isn't even a wiggle.

Still, I wouldn't recommend our hitch because of what I said above. Get at least a dual cam system. I intend to replace ours someday with a ProPride, because the reviews are excellent, you see very few available used (which implies to me that people buy them and keep them), and the owner, Sean, occasionally pops into AIR Forums to help answer questions, which is customer service worth supporting. That said, I don't believe my hitch is in any way unsafe. Sub-optimal? Probably. But not unsafe.

The most important thing, no matter what brand/type: Make sure it's set up correctly.

Don't assume your dealer will set up the hitch correctly (even ones they sell!); they often don't. It's not hard to find threads around here where the dealer put far too heavy lifter bars on it, didn't actually apply any weight to the lifter bars, etc. And those are just the ones where the owner realized something was amiss - how many others are floating around that are wrong?

One suggestion I have would be to find someone in your area who is familiar with hitches to look over the setup when you have it. Airstream rallies (WBCCI or other) are great for this. If I rolled into a rally with a badly-set-up hitch, I'd probably have a couple people stop by to ask if I needed help. In general, you're looking for a level rig - the truck is level front to back, the trailer is level front to back. There's more to it than that, but a level trailer means you're at least in the right ballpark.

Good luck!

That's great info and reveals part of the problem. At this time the only place I know that sells, and sets up, WD hitches is the AS dealer. They solely use Reese, so that's my only option. What other kind of businesses would sell WD hitches? Would be great to see a PP or HA in person.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Mo

Airsafe and HA/PP incompatibility info appreciated. The Reese dual cam is popular with some folks I respect here, Boldadventure, Larry, and others, and it's available at my local dealer which is attractive. Using the Airsafe with RDC sounds interesting, but it's an idea I don't fully understand yet.

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #154
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhh View Post
So, I use a Reese dual cam, old style. And I had the 'twitchy' problem mentioned way above. The twitchy problem is actually why I bought a ProPride. No twitch with a ProPride.

HOWEVER, the Reese dual cam was twitchy because i did not have it set up right.

To set up the reese dual cam you need to adjust it so in a straight line of car and trailer the bar cradle sets exactly onto the lower arm. This is an easy adjustment. You put the bars on and under load. Then loosen the lower arm brackets and the arm will move, almost snap, (because it's under load) exactly into the bar cradle. Then tighten the brackets (u-bolts).

Once I did this adjustment THERE WAS NO TWITCH IN THE REESE DUAL CAM.

And then i sold the ProPride cause I just did not need it.

One trick to remember is to mark your bars for what side they belong on. There can be very minor length differences between bars so mark them and keep them on the sides that you have adjusted them for.

John H

Thank you for the adjustment insights. Very helpful.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

Research is a great thing but there comes the time when you have to make a decision. Make it and then move on.

Thanks for your post Dick.

But I just started researching WD hitches 5 days ago

Tough crowd. Ha ha.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The biggest difference between Hensley and Propride in my opinion is the hitch bar. Hensley is welded solid and not adjustable, Propride is a bolted fabrication and completely adjustable.

At first, since I work with structural engineers, I was completely sold on the Hensley. Welded connections transfer the types of forces these hitch bars see much better than bolted connections.

Then I talked to Sean, thought he was a stand up guy. I also came to terms with the fact that bolted connections may be just fine, perhaps not as optimal as a weld, but so be it. We are not building skyscrapers.

So I bought a Propride. The guys here saying no matter what hitch you buy it is most important that it is set up right are correct. The adjustability in the Propride is by far one of its greatest attributes. I am still dialing it in, see my other Thread here. What I am finding is that not only can you raise and lower the hitch to match the delta between the tow vehical and trailer, but you can add wedge to the hitch bar and level the hitch relative to the amount of weight distribution applied. So there is a high level of fine tuning that can be done with the Propride.

Someone asked the difference between Propride and Hensley - if you are hung up on the solid welded hitch bar, which by all means is a justified concern, then Hensley is your bird. But if you really want to dial the hitch in, the Propride is the way to go. Both are outstanding hitches.

I have towed with Reese, and assortment of construction trailers. There is no question these hitches (Hensley and Propride) are and excellent investment. I often get small movements with the construction and cargo trailers which I am used to. Never do I see or feel that with the Propride.

I was passed today with my Airstream by a Tundra towing a Jayco and noticed a conventional hitch. When it crossed back into my lane there was a slight sway which I have seen so many times before. You will never experience that with a Hensley/ Propride.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

Ted,

Great info. Thanks.

Can you elaborate on small movements you mention with Reese and/or other WD hitches?

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #158
4 Rivet Member

The Anderson WD hitch looks like a very interesting design.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
That's great info and reveals part of the problem. At this time the only place I know that sells, and sets up, WD hitches is the AS dealer. They solely use Reese, so that's my only option. What other kind of businesses would sell WD hitches? Would be great to see a PP or HA in person.

Dan
You can buy another hitch and have the dealer install it.
PharmGeek ordered a ProPride, had Sean ship it to the dealer, and the dealer installed it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

Dan

Not to be silly, but hitch shops. They tend to sell other things like utility trailers, tow dollies, truck/trailer accessories, etc. But I think PP is only available via their website. I think Hensley sells through dealers too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote