Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like our ProPride but Andrew Thomson from Can-Am has said he prefers a few things about the Hensley but didn't say what they were. He has set up many of both, wonder what he has in mind.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
So, I tow with the BlueOx SwayPro and here is what they say:

"Prevent Sway Before It Starts Most hitches on the market use 50 year old technology with clunky steel cams or friction sway controls that correct sway after it begins. SwayPro’s built-in optimized sway prevention uses the geometry and tension of a 4 point system to hold the trailer in line. Intelligent pitch angle of the head’s design works with the spring steel bars and latch attachments to prevent sway from starting."

Same claim as PP and, based on my experience, I have no reason to doubt it. Notice, I am not comparing the two hitches, having never owned a PP.

Cost is in line with the Reese. I think I paid my dealer $500 to install with trailer purchase. No greasy bars to deal with the a unique way to load the bars using rotating latches.

Might be another option. My dealer did not carry the hitch; they dealt with Equalizer/Reese, etc. But, he ordered it for me, liked it so much, that now he offers this as well.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have an opinion on almost everything - which one do you want to hear

I am currently using a HA hitch. I only have a small experience (couple hundred miles) with a Reese Dual Cam and a Reese WD with only a friction bar. One way I can explain the difference is that the Reese in either configuration felt "twitchy" in comparison to the HA. With the Reese I could feel the wind to a much greater extent by passing trucks or traveling on windy days. With every move by the steering wheel I could watch the trailer react very quickly (almost too quick) and you could feel it in the truck.
With the HA the trailer movements seem to be much smoother where the trailer feels more "disconnected" from the truck. So if the trailer hits some bad pavement it doesn't seem to rock the truck as much.
Passing trucks or cross winds tend to move the entire rig (HA) vs just effecting the truck or trailer individually (other hitches).
My initial reason for getting the HA is because I was using two different tow vehicles and the sway prevention is mutually exclusive to the weight bars. I bought my hitch used (budget), refurbished it, customized the stinger (adjustable) and it was the best money I could spend on a hitch that will last me as long as I own a travel trailer and still have resale value.
Other hitches seem to work fine for other folks but I know where my recommendation lies (ppp hitch).

Alright. What's the deal pickle?

First line you say HA.

Last line you say PPP.

To all, well, you know who you are..

I'm staring to think you guys are intentionally trying to confuse me

Read the replies twice or more times and there are about 15 replies here (out of 125) where some of you polite and intelligent types actually tried answering my question, and I thank you. Loden, Boldadventure, Switz, Slowmover, Ponz, Doug, Rongatz, among several others. Thank you!

The rest of you blowhards and crayon eaters are wasting not only my time, but that of ever poor soul that runs across this thread in the future. You sound like high school chicks bumping your gums in the bathroom between classe.

I'm trying to buy a truck, camper, and the ever important connecting WD hitch so I can safely take my family into the Smoky Mountains with an Airstream. If I had the experience or insights on how to best do that safely, I wouldn't be here begging for help. It's implied your answers are important, is my point.

Either way, would be great if you guys and gals would stop with all the dang acronyms!!! Type 300 words, add an acronym or two, and your post is 100% useless if I can't find the secret decoder ring.

I've stated several times this is my first camper, never towed anything heavy, never seen WD hitch in person, and on twice ask you guys to use LAYMANS TERMS. I couldn't be more humble in my request for your assistance.

Nobody here looks smarter by refusing to use the English language, I assure you. Quite the opposite. This is directed to all, not Crispyboy. I'm certain I'm not the only person reading this that doesn't know your long list of unapproved abbreviations.

Use your words people. This is something I have to remind my two year old son of.

Approved abbreviation list:

HA- Hensley arrow
PP- ProPride

My thread, or it was, so my rules

Tongue in cheek is my baseline, and typed dialogue is very difficult for you sensitive types. Obviously so is reading comprehension.

But please, get on topic guys. This is perhaps the most important decision I have to make. Would really value more of the thoughtful replies that populated this thread early on.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

Which reminds me, of your 7-8 posts here, did you ever say what WD hitch you use and why??

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
PPP in that context meant Pivot Point Projection hitch - of which there are 2 the HA or HaHa (Hensley Arrow) or PP (ProPride). Oddly enough - that makes it the PP PPP.

For simplicity's sake - any of the tried and true products should serve you well.

I think Slowmover summed it up for you in the very first reply to this thread. You see that folks are passionate about their equipment and those that use a Pivot Point Projection hitch tend to recommend it highly - not because it's expensive and not because it's "flaw free". EVERY hitch has pros, cons and trade offs. So it's hard to make it really simple because of all the factors that go in to why you will make your ultimate decision - but with all the possible caveats that could apply, I'd confidently tell you to go with the ProPride and don't look back (while I don my asbestos vest awaiting the chorus of non-PPP users to slam my "biased" view).

For the record - not that it matters to me or the trolls (and frankly, I'm baffled at the hate that gets spewed over an inanimate object like this) but I am in no way connected with related to employed by in debt to in business with or compensated by ProPride or Sean in any way shape or form.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

Thanks man. Or woman. Not sure which of you, ha. Steve/Sue.. But I agree, who in their right mind takes personal offense to another WD hitch. Geesh. Sean and PPPHRBUYFDFBKjN3 seems highly regarded and that has not escaped my attention. Slowmover and others seem to feel confident about HA, which certainly carries weight. However, I heard PP was a redesign of HA reflecting changes from Mr Hensley himself. How anyone could support one, but not the other, confuses me. Same guy. Same idea. One old, one updated. Anyway. Tried asking about differences. No luck

PP is Pro Pride to me.

PPP is Pro Pride 3P to me.

This lack of understanding renders half the replies here obsolete.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I can sum it up nicely for you:

1. A properly setup Reese Sway control hitch is used by many with excellent results
2. A properly setup Equal-i-zer hitch is used by many with excellent results
3. A properly setup ProPride/Hensley Arrow hitch is used by many with excellent results
4. A properly setup Blue Ox SwayPro hitch is used by many with excellent results

There are some TV/Trailer combinations where a proper setup cannot be achieved with one hitch, but can with another.

All these hitches can provide safety and security when towing when the conditions are respected.

#3 probably has better engineering than the others, but that does not make the others unsafe.

There is a separate thread on all of these hitches with hundreds or thousands of posts per thread. Read them, learn the pros and cons and decide for yourself what works best for you and your combination.

There is no "best" hitch in the lot for ALL TV/Trailer combinations and all conditions. In life, there are very few absolutes.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Alright. What's the deal pickle?

First line you say HA.

Last line you say PPP.

To all, well, you know who you are..

I'm staring to think you guys are intentionally trying to confuse me

Read the replies twice or more times and there are about 15 replies here (out of 125) where some of you polite and intelligent types actually tried answering my question, and I thank you. Loden, Boldadventure, Switz, Slowmover, Ponz, Doug, Rongatz, among several others. Thank you!

The rest of you blowhards and crayon eaters are wasting not only my time, but that of ever poor soul that runs across this thread in the future. You sound like high school chicks bumping your gums in the bathroom between classe.

I'm trying to buy a truck, camper, and the ever important connecting WD hitch so I can safely take my family into the Smoky Mountains with an Airstream. If I had the experience or insights on how to best do that safely, I wouldn't be here begging for help. It's implied your answers are important, is my point.

Either way, would be great if you guys and gals would stop with all the dang acronyms!!! Type 300 words, add an acronym or two, and your post is 100% useless if I can't find the secret decoder ring.

I've stated several times this is my first camper, never towed anything heavy, never seen WD hitch in person, and on twice ask you guys to use LAYMANS TERMS. I couldn't be more humble in my request for your assistance.

Nobody here looks smarter by refusing to use the English language, I assure you. Quite the opposite. This is directed to all, not Crispyboy. I'm certain I'm not the only person reading this that doesn't know your long list of unapproved abbreviations.

Use your words people. This is something I have to remind my two year old son of.

Approved abbreviation list:

HA- Hensley arrow
PP- ProPride

My thread, or it was, so my rules

Tongue in cheek is my baseline, and typed dialogue is very difficult for you sensitive types. Obviously so is reading comprehension.

But please, get on topic guys. This is perhaps the most important decision I have to make. Would really value more of the thoughtful replies that populated this thread early on.

Dan

PPP = Pivot Point Projection
PP = ProPride
So- does PPPPP = ProPride Pivot Point Projection?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post

There is no "best" hitch in the lot for ALL TV/Trailer combinations and all conditions. In life, there are very few absolutes.

Agreed. And thank you. That's why I specifically listed truck and camper I'm considering. Thought that might narrow the responses, mistakenly.

Thanks for your contribution here now, and earlier.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
PPP = Pivot Point Projection
PP = ProPride
So- does PPPPP = ProPride Pivot Point Projection?

Why stop there? The model is 3P.

PPPP3P

This is ridiculous.

Maybe you guys been speaking jargon so long it seems normal.

But it isn't.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
I can sum it up nicely for you:

1. A properly setup Reese Sway control hitch is used by many with excellent results
2. A properly setup Equal-i-zer hitch is used by many with excellent results
3. A properly setup ProPride/Hensley Arrow hitch is used by many with excellent results
4. A properly setup Blue Ox SwayPro hitch is used by many with excellent results

There are some TV/Trailer combinations where a proper setup cannot be achieved with one hitch, but can with another.

All these hitches can provide safety and security when towing when the conditions are respected.

#3 probably has better engineering than the others, but that does not make the others unsafe.

There is a separate thread on all of these hitches with hundreds or thousands of posts per thread. Read them, learn the pros and cons and decide for yourself what works best for you and your combination.

Can we nominate post of the year? If so - this is it. Well done!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I agree. Great post.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just don't consider ANY hitch that does not have some form of sway control.....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
3/4 dodge with 6.7 with a Reese with the cams, had a Hensley which was good but it went with my old as, I like the Reese as much, if buying another it would be the Reese ...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
At this point, I think the only advice I could offer you, is for you to go to your favorite dealer, and buy whatever the hell you want, and make your own mistakes, as many before you have done.
Once you become humbled a bit, I'm quite sure you will find your magic combination, and become an expert, just like about 90% of the others whom you choose to refuse to listen to.

Good luck!

Larry C

Quote:

PPPP3P

This is ridiculous.

But it isn't.

Dan
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

PPPP3P

This is ridiculous.

But it isn't.

Dan

I don't always speak all the jargon-
A TV to me is still a television-
I ain't yet never seen nobody tow a trailer with a television-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Somewhere on here, or maybe in "The Newbie's Guide to Airstreaming" is a "glossary of terma".

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #138
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
At this point, I think the only advice I could offer you, is for you to go to your favorite dealer, and buy whatever the hell you want, and make your own mistakes, as many before you have done.
Once you become humbled a bit, I'm quite sure you will find your magic combination, and become an expert, just like about 90% of the others whom you choose to refuse to listen to.

Good luck!

Larry C
Yes, what Larry said!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post

Good luck!

Larry C

Thanks Larry.

I see in your signature line you are using an Air-safe along with Reese DC. Was curious if you would share your thoughts on that. It was suggested to me earlier, in reference to being easier on the TT, but I have not heard much about them otherwise.

Sounds like buying a RDC from my local AS dealer is your suggestion. Wondering what role an Airsafe would play in that setup.

I really felt compelled to use AS for Airsafe, but was afraid someone would think I meant Airstream by using AS.

And you suggest going to local dealer and making my own mistake, but I told you in my original post that all they sold and set up was Reese WD hitches.

You have reported towing with a Reese WD hitch over 200,000 miles. Are you being sarcastic, or are you literally telling me that buying the same WD hitch you own is a mistake?

When you finish your spam and mater sandwich HMU.

Hit me up, kids use it texting.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Somewhere on here, or maybe in "The Newbie's Guide to Airstreaming" is a "glossary of terma".
Thanks Mike. I'm just feeling particularly persnickety today. I know most all of the acronyms at this point. It is amazing how stupid it sounds to speak out loud using them though. Curious whatever made folks think that typing them was any less so.

D

- Nancy Newhall