Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
J Morgan, you never towed with a wd or sway control and then got a Hensley. I bet if you had gone with any quality wd sway control hitch you may have been equally impressed. Just thinkin since you appear to have nothing to compare it with. Post 66.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

Maybe, and maybe not.

I have done a lot of towing, a whole lot, enough that I can appreciate the way the Hensley changed the whole character of the combination.

It not only eliminates sway, it changes the way the unit feels. It makes it tow like a well set up fifth wheel but maybe even better. I don't think friction bars etc. can create this same effect, but I reserve the right to be wrong..

My purchase was among the best $1,200 I ever spent.

I disclosed right up front that I have no experience with other devices, which leaves my position as not a critique of other products but an endorsement of what Hensley designed products can do for me.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
J Morgan, you never towed with a wd or sway control and then got a Hensley. I bet if you had gone with any quality wd sway control hitch you may have been equally impressed. Just thinkin since you appear to have nothing to compare it with. Post 66.
Interesting comment. Interesting because having never towed with a Hensley, how could you possibly know that he would be equally impressed? Just thinkin...
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've only towed with an Equalizer so I can't compare. But being new to towing the Equalizer has done its job and towing has been uneventful. No sway in strong crosswinds or passing trucks. The only complaint is keeping it greased to prevent grinding and other noises.

The question I have regarding Hensley and Propride owners who have switched from a friction WDH, do you find the tow vehicle and trailer combination corners better? I've seen CanAm's slalom videos but I don't think they were using a Hensely or ProPride system in those videos.

Kelvin
Old 08-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Dan you answered your own question in Post 53.

I don't care about gas mileage. I don't care if I go uphill or downhill at slower speeds than others. My ONLY concern, that I hope you will evaluate, is safety. Staying upright and out of ditches. Slow is fine. 8-10 mpg towing is fine. Main use is weekend trips to Smoky Mountains 4-5 hours away.

Payload of around 1500 lbs per door jamb sticker is the issue that previously concerned me, but if nothing in Escalade but human and dog weight, 650 lbs now, but 800 lbs in few years, with TW of 30' twin estimated at 1000 lbs, got nothing more to go on. Can you more seasoned guys give a quick yeah/neah with this amount of info?

So you want SAFETY but according to the second paragraph you TV is overloaded with just the passengers, dog and tongue weight.

1500# useful load and 1650-1800# of load precious cargo. It isn't about towing it's about the load....

I appreciate the criticism. I'm carrying an infant and toddler, and will just happen to be also towing a camper. Safety is my only priority. In the remainder of my post you didn't quote I was very specifically asking what realistic percentage of weight would be applied to front axles and trailer axles.

Layman's math suggest a transfer of 100 lbs now, 250-300 lbs later as kids grow, would have me within safety specs from manufacturers. Your quote only carries forward the background data, and does not include my actual question.

As for the purpose of that post, a very specific question. Which is, how much weight would a properly set up WD hitch distribute to front tow vehicle axle, to trailer axles, and how much TW would remain on rear tow vehicle axle.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Hensley vs ProPride..

I understand that Hensley was original and PP is end result of many updates to the original design. Updates made by the creator of the Hensley if I recall.

By that assessment you Hensley users must think the changes to the original design were not warranted. Why would you all not desire PP otherwise.

Curious how the original Hensley and updated PP vary. What features would make you choose one over the other?

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've only towed with an Equalizer so I can't compare. But being new to towing the Equalizer has done its job and towing has been uneventful. No sway in strong crosswinds or passing trucks. The only complaint is keeping it greased to prevent grinding and other noises.

The question I have regarding Hensley and Propride owners who have switched from a friction WDH, do you find the tow vehicle and trailer combination corners better? I've seen CanAm's slalom videos but I don't think they were using a Hensely or ProPride system in those videos.

Kelvin
I've towed a popup on the ball, ball with friction bar. 22 foot sob with ez lift and friction. 30' AS with eq, Reese DC, and Hensley. I can't really say that there is any noticeable difference in higher speed cornering with any of them, other than reduced wiggle with a sway control device during steering corrections.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope you were not hurt badly. Regarding the accident, what tow vehicle and camper size did you have? Curious what specifics may have led to the accident. Rain, speed, grade, other vehicles, etc.
I was driving a Toyota FJ Cruiser pulling a R-Pod 177. The R-Pod was well within the towing limits of the FJ, and was 18' long. I was decelerating, having taken my foot off the pedal, on a downhill stretch traveling at about 50mph in the right land of a narrow, undivided 4-lane highway. The speed limit had just dropped from 70mph to 55 as the highway approached a town. An 18 wheeler went by me in the left land traveling a LOT faster than I was and so close that when I felt the trailer jump, I thought the 18 wheeler had hit it. The trailer jumped laterally, yanking the rear of the car, just as the front of the truck went by. The timing of the passage amplified the lateral motion of the FJ. As the 18 wheeler trailer passed the R-Pod, again the timing was such that the R-Pod was already swinging back and was sucked left. I found myself aimed at the ditch and corrected. That resulted in a reverse swing with me nearly crossing the center line into oncoming traffic. My turn to the right to avoid a head-on collision was the last controlling input I made. The next thing I knew I was in the cedar trees off the road facing back the way I had come. The trailer had rolled onto its side and was attached by the chains.

I had towed that trailer behind the FJ for three years and many, many miles and never had a "significant" sway event. As I wrote above, I simply did not realize that I was routinely having marginal control events until I hooked up my new Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax to a Eddie Bauer 27' with an equalizer hitch and headed down the road. Other than the extra "bump" as the trailer wheels passed over uneven places on the road and the momentum difference, it was like there was no trailer back there. I drove through extremely narrow stretches of I-35 with 18 wheelers going by like rocket ships and never experienced the sense of lateral drifting that was so routine with the FJ-R-Pod combination.

I have since made a point of asking people I see with variations of standard trailer hitches who pull travel trailers and apparently that "drifting" feeling is pretty standard for them as it was for me. Most have experienced "snaking" as the academic literature calls it. All of them, as I once did, thought of it as just a normal part of pulling a travel trailer.

The "drifting" feeling is very much the same as when one is traveling at highway speeds and hit a patch of water on the road. Just for a moment there is the sense that the vehicle is no longer solidly tracking down the road as the rear end drifts slightly to one side or the other. I now comprehend that was my trailer making one or two small wags. As I have driven on the Interstate since, I have noticed that slight "wag" as travel trailers (other than mine) change lanes or let off on the accelerator as they head down hill.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Hensley vs ProPride..

I understand that Hensley was original and PP is end result of many updates to the original design. Updates made by the creator of the Hensley if I recall.

By that assessment you Hensley users must think the changes to the original design were not warranted. Why would you all not desire PP otherwise.

Curious how the original Hensley and updated PP vary. What features would make you choose one over the other?

Dan

I bought a Hensley used because it was priced fairly...

I would have bought a ProPride had I found one cheaper.

I would now pay full price if I had to.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hensley vs ProPride..

Dan

I bought the HA a few weeks before PP came out. Would rather have it.

Buying a used hitch is not always a good idea due to unknown wear or a wreck. But it's been a good way for many to have a VPP hitch.

Comparisons to other types is laughable. HA has a 60-day money back guarantee. Naysayers can put it on the line.

Of course it'd help if they perfected their current WDH on a scale. Most don't ever seem to do that either. Do that first and do a VPP the same way.
100% FALR is a good start.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

Quote:
I appreciate the criticism. I'm carrying an infant and toddler, and will just happen to be also towing a camper. Safety is my only priority. In the remainder of my post you didn't quote I was very specifically asking what realistic percentage of weight would be applied to front axles and trailer axles.

Layman's math suggest a transfer of 100 lbs now, 250-300 lbs later as kids grow, would have me within safety specs from manufacturers. Your quote only carries forward the background data, and does not include my actual question.

As for the purpose of that post, a very specific question. Which is, how much weight would a properly set up WD hitch distribute to front tow vehicle axle, to trailer axles, and how much TW would remain on rear tow vehicle axle.

Dan

About 65-75% of TW will remain on TV after WD is set. One might be over "rating" but that's a marketing thing. The real limit is axle/tire/wheel. Somewhere in between isn't a concern, overall.

If you want to mess with it, figure 80%. But nothing much changes with these guesstimates. A few hundred pounds is not a delineator of concern.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
As far as I know, there are not that many changes to the PP over the Hensley. PP likes to say it is the "New Design" which I suppose is technically true, but the changes are minor, again as far as I know. I admittedly can not say for certain.

I believe that from a function point of view, the no-sway design has not changed so it would not warrant a change for me.

I also offered to buy one from PP, but they did not budge on price at retail, which is certainly their choice. Ending up trading the HH hitch that was on my trailer (it was rode hard by the previous owner) and buying a reconditioned hitch. Considerably less cost than buying a PP hitch.

Having said that, PP owner do like the design and I have no doubt it works well, the design to eliminate sway is very solid in either.
Centerville, OH
Old 08-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
Yes it does corner better. I am not technically capable or interested in arguing why (though I believe I understand why), but yes it will out corner any normal hitch. I assume the PP will also, the mechanics are the same.
Centerville, OH
Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If the Escalade is rated to pull 8200# you might look for either a lighter Airstream, or a heavier tow vehicle. That 30' Airstream, by the time you are loaded for a trip is going to weigh close to or possibly a bit more than 9,000 pounds.
Now I'm sure there will be conflicting ideas on that, but check it out. Any of the hitches that have been discussed here will do the job well, as long as it is properly setup to begin with.....I do lean towards the Reese Dual Cam, (Strait Line), as I've towed somewhere north of 200,000 miles with them.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

Quote:
^^^^ Thanks Bill and Howie!!

This is my last hail marry before reluctantly accepting that I must buy a truck.

Ok guys. Saw the video of sedan yanking Airstream all over the road and slamming on brakes. Nobody died. If buying a HA or PP, would towing a 30' twin be safely doable with a new extended Escalade with 6.2L? I'm curious what such a hitch would add to that tow vehicle and camper combo.

I don't care about gas mileage. I don't care if I go uphill or downhill at slower speeds than others. My ONLY concern, that I hope you will evaluate, is safety. Staying upright and out of ditches. Slow is fine. 8-10 mpg towing is fine. Main use is weekend trips to Smoky Mountains 4-5 hours away.

Nothing scientific. Don't need a complete thread derail, as others will enjoy your insightful WD hitch info here in the future. Would like PMs if anyone willing to give me their honest opinion. That's often easier without being second guessed. Again, I'm off track from the thread. But I've clearly got the ear of many folks in the know. I've had to read some of these posts 2-3x to better understand them.

Extended Escalade rated to tow 8100 lbs as I recall. 8 speed transmission with tow/haul manual gear selecting, transmission cooler, oil cooler, true 4WD, not AWD, etc. The 6.2 L makes 420 HP and 460 ft/lbs as I recall. The Escalade has magnetic ride control, if that matters. Sounds nice, but I lack details on it. Auto leveling rear air is option, if not standard. Wired for trailer brake.

Payload of around 1500 lbs per door jamb sticker is the issue that previously concerned me, but if nothing in Escalade but human and dog weight, 650 lbs now, but 800 lbs in few years, with TW of 30' twin estimated at 1000 lbs, got nothing more to go on. Can you more seasoned guys give a quick yeah/neah with this amount of info?

What's the realistic amount of weight a HA/PP might transfer to front TV axle, and back to TT axles? These numbers seem to have the ability to make an iffy tow vehicle, within spec, or that's my thought. Is this a possible combo or am I once again barking up wrong tree.

PMs or replies here greatly appreciated.

Dan

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote