Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
What's the realistic amount of weight a HA/PP might transfer to front TV axle, and back to TT axles? These numbers seem to have the ability to make an iffy tow vehicle, within spec, or that's my thought.
For an Escalade ESV with a HA/PP hitched to a 30' Airstream with no WD applied,
a load equal to approximately 58% of tongue weight will be removed from the TV's front axle, and a load equal to approximately 158% of tongue weight will be added to the rear axle.

When using a WDH, Cadillac implies the WD should be adjusted to cause the front end height to be restored to the unhitched value.
This implies 100% front axle load restoration.

Therefore, the amount of load which needs to be transferred to the TV's front axle is equal to approximately 58% of tongue weight.
The corresponding amount of load which needs to be transferred to the TT's axles is equal to approximately 23% of tongue weight.

This assumes TV's wheelbase = 130", distance from TV's rear axle to ball = 75", and distance from ball to midpoint of TT's axle group = 250".

The value of 58% is derived from:TV front axle ratio = 75/130 = 0.577.
The value of 23% comes from: TT axles ratio = 75/(75+250) = 0.231.
If you have better values for the estimated dimension, plug them into the above equations to refine the estimates.

Ron

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois
Reese WD

I'm a newbie who bought a package deal that included the TV and hitch a few months back. It was an old Reese settup to pull a 28ft Excella.
I drove it from Tuscon to north of St. Louis with little towing experience. I was amazed how rock steady it was. Even on two lane highways meeting tractor trailers, I hardly fealt any buffeting.
It's good enough for me.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I have had the experience of the trailer pulling the tow vehicle. In my case the trailer was a mass of splinters and twisted steel and the TV was totaled. In retrospect I noticed a certain "driftiness" prior to the event, i.e. I felt like I was being shifted laterally a bit from time to time. I was using a load leveling trailer hitch, and had been doing so successfully for several years. I experienced that momentary lateral drift from time to time over the period and just thought it was normal.

I now have a much larger tow vehicle (Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4) and am pulling a 27' Eddie Bauer with an equalizer hitch. The "driftiness" is gone. The TV and the AS move down the road as a single unit. Yes, I feel the "push-pull" as an 18 wheeler goes by at a significant speed differential, but there is never any feeling of drifting laterally, almost as if the vehicle was hydroplaning.

Any instability at all in crosswinds or when being passed is a red flag. The Hensley, Pro-Pride, or Equalizer hitches if set up properly pulling a well-balanced Airstream should NEVER produce that white-knuckled sense that things could get out of control. That sensation is unfortunately just part of life when pulling using a inferior hitch and a non-airflow stabilized trailer.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Twice before Saturday. 😉

I'd enjoy having this problem set.

1990 Silver Streak
Likely

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Never say never......

Nobody's perfect.

Bob
Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
I have had the experience of the trailer pulling the tow vehicle. In my case the trailer was a mass of splinters and twisted steel and the TV was totaled. In retrospect I noticed a certain "driftiness" prior to the event, i.e. I felt like I was being shifted laterally a bit from time to time. I was using a load leveling trailer hitch, and had been doing so successfully for several years. I experienced that momentary lateral drift from time to time over the period and just thought it was normal.

I now have a much larger tow vehicle (Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4) and am pulling a 27' Eddie Bauer with an equalizer hitch. The "driftiness" is gone. The TV and the AS move down the road as a single unit. Yes, I feel the "push-pull" as an 18 wheeler goes by at a significant speed differential, but there is never any feeling of drifting laterally, almost as if the vehicle was hydroplaning.

Any instability at all in crosswinds or when being passed is a red flag. The Hensley, Pro-Pride, or Equalizer hitches if set up properly pulling a well-balanced Airstream should NEVER produce that white-knuckled sense that things could get out of control. That sensation is unfortunately just part of life when pulling using a inferior hitch and a non-airflow stabilized trailer.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope you were not hurt badly. Regarding the accident, what tow vehicle and camper size did you have? Curious what specifics may have led to the accident. Rain, speed, grade, other vehicles, etc.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the 31' Flying Cloud and both International models have a GVW of 8,800 pounds. A vehicle rated for towing 8,100 pound trailer would require giving up 700 pounds of payload in the trailer

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Referring to post 59. Did you have any sway control? What trailer and TV? Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I am no expert on sway, but I believe there is a lot more to it than the type of hitch, ie the wheel base of the TV,weight of TV, weight distribution of the TV, distance from rear axle to the ball, TV tires, air pressure in trailer and TV tires, hitch set up, etc. though I concede that the hitch set up can help and maybe overcome the situations we create with the above factors. I have been towing the same vintage A/S for 27 years with an old fashioned Reese, spring bar/friction slide sway bar and can honestly say my experiences vary from absolutely no sway at speeds up to 75 mph to near disaster from sway at speeds as low as 55. There have been times I wished for a hitch that would compensate for the stupid mistakes I made in my set ups. Being older now and retired and probably no wiser I seldom exceed 60 mph on any highway and I just don't worry much about sway at that speed but going slower does not compensate for poor set up.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

As far as my experience goes, my trailer WILL NOT sway with its Hensley period. Cross winds? Don't really notice them, the same goes for passing trucks.

I pretty much drive the speed limit, weather permitting.

Pre Hensley, my trailer was subject to sway above 62 MPH, especially going down a grade and when affected by the bow wave of passing vehicles.

I have no experience with other WD or anti-sway, but I can say that my Hensley has changed my towing experience from white knuckle two handed always ready to take action work to a joy.

This is true with my 1/2 ton Silverado and my Tahoe.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Oh, the hitch has changed my wife from a nervous passenger to a sometimes tower.

How much is that worth?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Reese dual cam hitches, have a brain, if you wish.

When you make a turn, one bar moves forward and the other bar moves rearward.

That makes the tension on each bar increase, but that increase is very unequal, telling the tow vehicle which way back to minimum tension or the straight line.

Ball park, up to about a 20 degree turn, taking hands off the steering wheel, will allow the Reese dual cam to straighten out the rig, all by itself.

However, proper rated bars, properly installed, plays a big part of that feature.

Andyt
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
People who say that "what I have is good enough" are kind of like people who say "I will never need a smoke detector" Never met a person involved in an accident (have met a few) who said, "yep, knew that was going to happen, came here anyway"...
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Dan you answered your own question in Post 53.

I don't care about gas mileage. I don't care if I go uphill or downhill at slower speeds than others. My ONLY concern, that I hope you will evaluate, is safety. Staying upright and out of ditches. Slow is fine. 8-10 mpg towing is fine. Main use is weekend trips to Smoky Mountains 4-5 hours away.

Payload of around 1500 lbs per door jamb sticker is the issue that previously concerned me, but if nothing in Escalade but human and dog weight, 650 lbs now, but 800 lbs in few years, with TW of 30' twin estimated at 1000 lbs, got nothing more to go on. Can you more seasoned guys give a quick yeah/neah with this amount of info?

So you want SAFETY but according to the second paragraph you TV is overloaded with just the passengers, dog and tongue weight.

1500# useful load and 1650-1800# of load precious cargo. It isn't about towing it's about the load....

ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote