Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

Research is a great thing but there comes the time when you have to make a decision. Make it and then move on.

Thanks for your post Dick.

But I just started researching WD hitches 5 days ago

Tough crowd. Ha ha.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The biggest difference between Hensley and Propride in my opinion is the hitch bar. Hensley is welded solid and not adjustable, Propride is a bolted fabrication and completely adjustable.

At first, since I work with structural engineers, I was completely sold on the Hensley. Welded connections transfer the types of forces these hitch bars see much better than bolted connections.

Then I talked to Sean, thought he was a stand up guy. I also came to terms with the fact that bolted connections may be just fine, perhaps not as optimal as a weld, but so be it. We are not building skyscrapers.

So I bought a Propride. The guys here saying no matter what hitch you buy it is most important that it is set up right are correct. The adjustability in the Propride is by far one of its greatest attributes. I am still dialing it in, see my other Thread here. What I am finding is that not only can you raise and lower the hitch to match the delta between the tow vehical and trailer, but you can add wedge to the hitch bar and level the hitch relative to the amount of weight distribution applied. So there is a high level of fine tuning that can be done with the Propride.

Someone asked the difference between Propride and Hensley - if you are hung up on the solid welded hitch bar, which by all means is a justified concern, then Hensley is your bird. But if you really want to dial the hitch in, the Propride is the way to go. Both are outstanding hitches.

I have towed with Reese, and assortment of construction trailers. There is no question these hitches (Hensley and Propride) are and excellent investment. I often get small movements with the construction and cargo trailers which I am used to. Never do I see or feel that with the Propride.

I was passed today with my Airstream by a Tundra towing a Jayco and noticed a conventional hitch. When it crossed back into my lane there was a slight sway which I have seen so many times before. You will never experience that with a Hensley/ Propride.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

Ted,

Great info. Thanks.

Can you elaborate on small movements you mention with Reese and/or other WD hitches?

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #158
4 Rivet Member

The Anderson WD hitch looks like a very interesting design.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
That's great info and reveals part of the problem. At this time the only place I know that sells, and sets up, WD hitches is the AS dealer. They solely use Reese, so that's my only option. What other kind of businesses would sell WD hitches? Would be great to see a PP or HA in person.

Dan
You can buy another hitch and have the dealer install it.
PharmGeek ordered a ProPride, had Sean ship it to the dealer, and the dealer installed it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
That's great info and reveals part of the problem. At this time the only place I know that sells, and sets up, WD hitches is the AS dealer. They solely use Reese, so that's my only option. What other kind of businesses would sell WD hitches? Would be great to see a PP or HA in person.

Dan

Not to be silly, but hitch shops. They tend to sell other things like utility trailers, tow dollies, truck/trailer accessories, etc. But I think PP is only available via their website. I think Hensley sells through dealers too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

I tried hitch shop. Nothing. Will search more. The dealer will only sell and set up Reese. I very specifically asked. The Anderson is so simple even I could set it up. But read varying reports about its WD ability. But if buying Chevy 2500 longbed with Duramax would mainly benefit from sway control. It's simple to use and weighs 60 lbs. Like I said, interesting.

Dan
Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
As stated towed 28ft Airstream over 180k miles with the Reese dual cam so am ok with it....however also tow large work trailers and boat without the dual cam hitch (just ball only) and can say that turning off truck's (Ford) auto sway control does negatively change towing in gusty cross winds although it's not noticeable (either on or off) when towing with the dual cam. Suggest if buying new tow vehicle maybe lean toward auto sway control if available, sure helps can't hurt...only down side is it is default "on", you have to turn it "off" if you don't want it.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Can you elaborate on small movements you mention with Reese and/or other WD hitches?

Dan
A small amount of sway, never too bad. Never felt it with the Propride but have just 10k miles so things are still new.

My dealer set up my Propride as I had it shipped to them. At the time somebody here on the forum said that I should do it myself so that I truly understand it and can make adjustments down the road. I just did not have time, in retrospect I wish installed it myself to know everything about it.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I installed my ProPride with the assistance of a bottle jack and my teen-age daughter. Followed the directions carefully. Did need to get a 250 foot-pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight to put the stinger together. Other than that, took a couple hours to install, set up, and adjust.

I appreciate the lack of sway, have no issues hooking up, even at extreme angles (60 degree or more one time) and it keeps me very happy on the safety side as well. Happy camper ( no pun intended) 😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

I like your use of the as a way to back out of an inflammatory comment. It is sort of like Fox News saying something and then later posting a retraction.

You may rest assured that I have no intent of posting a retraction...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

Why does everyone get butt hurt talking about hitches?

I thought I was crazy till I started reading here. And I am BTW. Been tested and everything.

Starting to love this acronym talk. OMG. HMU. BFD. SMF. Etc.

Just say what you like or don't like about the different models.

Nothing personal involved when discussing varying designs of steel objects.

Obviously they all work in varying degrees.

Any of you fragile flowers have an opinion on the Anderson Hitch?

Tissues in hand.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yes - I have an opinion on the Andersen.

(I'm not a user - I base this on what I've read in the forums...)

The Andersen can be a good option for those who have relatively light trailers/tongue weight and heavy duty tow vehicles because it apparently doesn't move tons of weight to the front axle of your toe vehicle - so with a heavy duty truck, you might not need more than 50% front axle load restoration (FALR).

Users of it claim it is much better with "porpoising" and it's lightweight and easy to install - not to mention relatively affordable.

That free advice is with everything you paid for it!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

Thanks man/woman. If buying 30' AS and Chevy 2500 longbox, would the Anderson be a poor choice in your opinion?

Dan

- Nancy Newhall