Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Sergei,

It looks to me like the cam arm is located too far forward.

If you snug up the chains a few more links and if the tow vehicle and trailer are in a straight line, the cam should ride in the center of the cam notch that was welded onto the bar.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Don,

Yes, I too had noticed that looking at the photos earlier today.

The old Reese literature gives very specific instructions on how to drive the rig in a straight line and then make sure that the Cam Arm is making contact on BOTH sides of the Cam.

When I do the final, final set up, once the Mini is aboard, I will be careful to take all these things into account.

Sergei

Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I guess it's withstood the test of time but the welding on the spring arms scares me. My question about the hooks on the tongue was if there is a moving bail that you insert a bar in to "snap" the chains up into place. Some set-ups I've seen just have fixed hooks on the A frame which means you have to jack the trailer up after it's attached to the ball in order to set the chains. When you let it back down the chains are tensioned. I always jack the trailer up some rather than using a pry bar to put all the tension on the chains. I'm even more careful to take tension off the chains with the hitch before releasing the chains. The pry bar can snap back with a nasty kick!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
The lady that runs the factory has been there 39 years. I think she said my style of hitch stopped being made in 1973.

She said everything was in good shape and advised to always use a good quantity of good quality fiber grease in the cups.
Well I guess I just missed out on the L/R arms. I think my parents bought their horse trailer in '74 (pulled it with a '72 Pontiac Safari station wagon) and I think I bought my first WD hitch in '79.

Grease is important. The challenge is keeping the dirt out. Just be sure to have a rag or sock handy to cover the ends of the bars. The challenge with the cups is you can't really see or get in there to clean it out. If you're careful about wiping off the ends of the bars and re-greasing at regular intervals that should take care of it.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
It's

It turned out that the Hi-Low shank I got last week didnít have enough range. It would have worked to move the trailer this week but it wouldnít have worked once I got the Mini up on the Sprinterís deck.

So I went back to the Eaz-Lift factory in London, Ontario to see if I could change it out for the drop only Extra Low shank.

Even though Eaz-Lift is not set up to deal direct with the public Lynda Aristone, the General manager, very nicely agreed to swap pieces with me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lynda.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	60570

This is Lynda, 39 years with the company.

The U channel Lynda gave me was last week welded onto my old hitch ball mount. Itíll be painted before I go out on the road.

Name:	wd.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	60571

I used 5 washers to get the correct angle for the ball.

Luckily, I installed this out front of Wiltsieís truck body place. The top most bolt with the serrated washers needs to be torqued to 260 pounds. Iíd read somewhere on the VAL list that someone had paid $12.00 for a torque wrench. I donít know how that is possible. When I drove the truck to the back of the plant to have Brad torque it for me the wrench turned out to be about 4 feet long and looked like it cost a couple of hundred dollars minimum.

Name:	cam.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	60572

Don, note that we moved the Cam Lever back about an inch on the frame. The cam is seated correctly now and the chains hang straight down too.

Bernie, I used good grease and will make a pair of socks to cover the bars when I am storing them, probably in my new bumper box.
I donít worry about the welded cams. Upon inspection, they look as strong as the bars to me.

We will do this set up all over again when the truck deck is finished. Now I know how to do it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help given.

Sergei
Old 05-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #20
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Sergei, we have a similars setup on our Ford. One thing to keep in mind: If you decide to take the truck for a tour on back roads (sans Airstream), take the hitch off. We dragged bottom on ours several times when going through low-water crossings and over rocks.

Lynn
Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Lynn, thanks.

I guess Iíll be doing the back roads in the Mini but Iíll be removing the hitch and locking it up in one of the possum belly tool chests on the truck when Iím unhitched.

I am also going to have someone cut that 1-1/2Ē or 2Ē of unused shank off with a band saw later.

Sergei
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
It turned out that the Hi-Low shank I got last week didnít have enough range. It would have worked to move the trailer this week but it wouldnít have worked once I got the Mini up on the Sprinterís deck.
Sergei,
I don't get it? It sounds like you traded for a hitch that extends down farther but when you load the Mini on the truck won't that have the effect of lowering the ball? Anyway, I think the hitch height recommendation makes the assumtion that you're going to "even out" the tongue weight with the WD hitch. With a cargo van like your Sprinter I think you're going to want to let the rear take a good percentage of the load, at least when you don't have the Mini on the truck. It's definitely a whole different ball game towing with or without the Mini.

-Bernie
Old 05-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Mea Culpa

Bernie, thanks for spotting the error I made in trying to explain things.

I wrote one sentence exactly backwards.

In actual fact, the Hi Low shank would have worked with the MINI loaded. The trouble was that I couldnít get the ball and receiver closer than about 2Ē apart without load on the truck.

Although I might rarely pull the trailer without the Mini aboard, and had actually toyed with the idea of pulling the trailer the short distance to the park like that, I decided to make everything correct and exchange the shank.

Maybe I made the writing mistake either because I wrote too early in the morning or too late at night.

You can see that the Extra Low shank sits very low. Thatís why I am going to band saw off the unused couple of inches at the bottom.

The standard shanks have a maximum drop of 5 3/4Ē. I needed around 7Ē but you have to buy the 9 1/2Ē drop to get that.

Sergei
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"You can see that the Extra Long shank sits very low. That’s why I am going to band saw off the unused couple of inches at the bottom."

Might also consider one of the "skid rollers" that can be attached to hit the ground and allow you to keep moving (keep from digging in).

Paktron Weld-On Rollers

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote