Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Lynn, thanks.

I guess I’ll be doing the back roads in the Mini but I’ll be removing the hitch and locking it up in one of the possum belly tool chests on the truck when I’m unhitched.

I am also going to have someone cut that 1-1/2” or 2” of unused shank off with a band saw later.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
It turned out that the Hi-Low shank I got last week didn’t have enough range. It would have worked to move the trailer this week but it wouldn’t have worked once I got the Mini up on the Sprinter’s deck.
Sergei,
I don't get it? It sounds like you traded for a hitch that extends down farther but when you load the Mini on the truck won't that have the effect of lowering the ball? Anyway, I think the hitch height recommendation makes the assumtion that you're going to "even out" the tongue weight with the WD hitch. With a cargo van like your Sprinter I think you're going to want to let the rear take a good percentage of the load, at least when you don't have the Mini on the truck. It's definitely a whole different ball game towing with or without the Mini.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Mea Culpa

Bernie, thanks for spotting the error I made in trying to explain things.

I wrote one sentence exactly backwards.

In actual fact, the Hi Low shank would have worked with the MINI loaded. The trouble was that I couldn’t get the ball and receiver closer than about 2” apart without load on the truck.

Although I might rarely pull the trailer without the Mini aboard, and had actually toyed with the idea of pulling the trailer the short distance to the park like that, I decided to make everything correct and exchange the shank.

Maybe I made the writing mistake either because I wrote too early in the morning or too late at night.

You can see that the Extra Low shank sits very low. That’s why I am going to band saw off the unused couple of inches at the bottom.

The standard shanks have a maximum drop of 5 3/4”. I needed around 7” but you have to buy the 9 1/2” drop to get that.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"You can see that the Extra Long shank sits very low. That’s why I am going to band saw off the unused couple of inches at the bottom."

Might also consider one of the "skid rollers" that can be attached to hit the ground and allow you to keep moving (keep from digging in).

Paktron Weld-On Rollers
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote