Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
How and When to Measure Hitch Height

Hi All,

I recently bought a new-to-me 2006 19' Safari. Today is the day I spend a few hours getting everything setup right.

The first thing I'm going to tackle is the tow setup.

It looks like my ball height should be 17 3/4". The trailer came with an anti-sway and weight distribution setup. I've read through some posts on the forums but want to make sure I completely understand all the specifics before I get started.

Here it goes, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything:
  • Ball height is measured at the top of the ball
  • The desired height (17 3/4 in my case) is the measurement that I'm trying to hit AFTER the WD is in place and my car is loaded with the normal amount of people and stuff that usually travels with me.
  • If I can't hit the measurement exactly, I'd rather the hitch be slightly high than slightly low
  • The tolerance is about 1"
  • My ultimate goal is a level airstream

Are all of those statements correct? Anything major I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lynn
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That sounds about right.

There are a few of us in Austin, so if you'd like one of us to come and look over your hitch set-up, we'd be happy to.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park
That sounds about right.

There are a few of us in Austin, so if you'd like one of us to come and look over your hitch set-up, we'd be happy to.
Thanks Dave! I'm heading out to work on it right now. If I run into problems, I'd love to take-up the offer of having someone help. I'm in central Austin, right at Barton Springs and Lamar.
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
Hi All,

I recently bought a new-to-me 2006 19' Safari. Today is the day I spend a few hours getting everything setup right.

The first thing I'm going to tackle is the tow setup.

It looks like my ball height should be 17 3/4". The trailer came with an anti-sway and weight distribution setup. I've read through some posts on the forums but want to make sure I completely understand all the specifics before I get started.

Here it goes, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything:
  • Ball height is measured at the top of the ball
  • The desired height (17 3/4 in my case) is the measurement that I'm trying to hit AFTER the WD is in place and my car is loaded with the normal amount of people and stuff that usually travels with me.
  • If I can't hit the measurement exactly, I'd rather the hitch be slightly high than slightly low
  • The tolerance is about 1"
  • My ultimate goal is a level airstream
Are all of those statements correct? Anything major I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lynn
These are my ideas on the subject:

Ball height is actually variable depending on the loading of the trailer. What is published by Airstream is nominal.

It is best to get the trailer loaded as close to how you will be towing it as practical. Then adjust the hitch and weight distribution to get both the trailer and the tow vehicle level (parallel to the ground).

It is a trial and error process and you may have to tow it a couple of times before you get the best settings.

I am not sure that I agree with your preference of slightly high in the front versus slight low. Generally a trailer is more unstable with front high than when rear high. In addition when going over uneven surfaces, the rear of the trailer is more likely to drag than the front.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm in Round Rock but I have wheels. I'm free 2.00-3.30pm today and all day tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I am not sure that I agree with your preference of slightly high in the front versus slight low. Generally a trailer is more unstable with front high than when rear high. In addition when going over uneven surfaces, the rear of the trailer is more likely to drag than the front.

Regards,

Ken
Hii Ken,

I'm glad to hear you say that. I feel like it tows a little better slightly low as opposed to slightly high.

Lynn
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park
I'm in Round Rock but I have wheels. I'm free 2.00-3.30pm today and all day tomorrow.
Thanks for the offer Dave. As suspected, things are moving slower than usual. Heading go a friends to borrow gigantic wrenches.
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
One more question for you guys. How much should I be lifting with the WD devices? In other words, applying the tork lifts the hitch some, is there a goal for how much that should be?

Thanks,

Lynn
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
One more question for you guys. How much should I be lifting with the WD devices? In other words, applying the tork lifts the hitch some, is there a goal for how much that should be?

Thanks,

Lynn
Lynn.

A proper rated, properly installed load equalizing hitch, should level the tow vehicle and the trailer, with respect to itself.

The load equalizing hitch torsion bars, should also be of a rating that allows the trailer to have a soft ride, when either the tow vehicle or trailer hits a bump.

Rigid bars will have a negative effect on the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Lynn,

I have a lot of free time tomorrow. If you like I can come over and check the set-up, make sure everything's working properly. I only have experience with a few WD systems, but I have a good sense of balance (thanks 2air) - though this will never match the info you'd get from going to some public scales.

I'll PM my details to you so you can contact me if you need to.