Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Greenbank , Washington
Honda Pilot Tow Package

Neophyte here. Bought a 1979 Argosy Minuet 20' and got a tow package put in my 2005 Honda Pilot. The hitch does not seem adequate. There is no place to attach the levelling bars. So do they sell the right hitch for a Honda Pilot?
MartyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The tow package should include a 2"x2" square receiver.

The weight distribution (leveling) bars attach to a matching head that fits in the square receiver opening. Weight distribution hitches are usually sold as a package including leveling bars, the hitch head, and other necessary hardware, and the heads must match the manufacturer and model of the leveling bars (in most cases). If your Minuet came with weight distribution bars you should have received a hitch head, too, otherwise you're going to have to identify the bars and purchase a matchingi head, or buy a complete new weight distributing hitch for around $300 or so.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
I'm a bit confused. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot towing a '77 Minuet. A Honda dealer install the tow package -- which included the receiver rated for 3500/4500 pounds tow weight and 450 pounds hitch weight. Perhaps you are trying to use the hollow shank and hitch ball that came with the tow package. If so, that is only good for a small utility trailer. The package also included a transmission cooler.

We had the electric brake wiring and controller installed at a trailer place.

I purchased the hitch package was purchased separately (it's not part of the Honda tow package) -- it's a Reese dual cam with 600 pound bars. There are other good systems as well (a whole 'nother subject).

Do you have a solid shank, a hitch head designed for load leveling bars and light weight bars? A photo of what you have would be helpful.

Geo...
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Greenbank , Washington
Thanks, and . . .

Well, I did find the hitch you mention, and it can fit onto the receiver that the dealer put on as part of their tow package, but the original is very heavy and I wonder about the ability of the dealer hitch to hold it, especially since as others have stated the dealer hitch is made for towing a small boat or flat trailer. Do you have an opinion on that?

The hitch was originally on a pickup truck and the ball will sit about six inches higher than it will on my Pilot if I put it into the dealer receiver. It does not seem adjustable, but I guess it could be machined to sit at the same level.
Boy, I feel like a dummy on all of this and appreciate your help. If I ever meet any of you guys in campground I will buy you the beverages of your choice.
MartyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
First off, welcome to the Forums. There is a wealth of info here. I'm not all knowing on any subject so I'm offering one suggestion. If you can post some pics of the receiver itself and as set up to tow, I'll bet you will get a lot of good advice pretty quick. And don't feel like a dummy, we all had the same questions/fears when we started. You will survive and the learning is usually fun, although it can occasionally include some harrowing moments!!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
There are only about 10,000 hitch options out there.. If you could post up some pictures...

The load leveling bars are part of a hitch system, which is totally independent of you "reciever" which is what the dealer should have installed. There are drop and rise bars to get the ball to where you need it.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Did the dealer put on a Honda receiver?
If so, it should have a label on it detailing the weight limits.
Are the limits 450# tongue weight and 3500# trailer weight?
If so, it is more than adequate to tow your trailer.
Most any weight distributing hitch should work.
You need a hitch that is adjustable -- sounds like yours is not.
Pictures would be very helpful.
Geo...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
I owned a 2005 Honda Pilot at one time and found out that I could not tow my 16' Bambi with a weight distributing hitch. It states in the owners manual that a weight distributing hitch is not recommended. I think the reason for this is because it is a Unibody construction. I got rid of our Honda and bought a 2007 GMC Denali which tows our trailer beautifully.
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilot tow hitch