Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Flying Cloud
St. Louis , Missouri
Hitching Checklist

Hello all. Long time listener; first time caller.

I just took delivery of a 2016 26U Flying Cloud. I am doing this on my own and excited but nervous to do this right. I went over the steps of hitching the trailer to my tow vehicle but when I went to unhitch I still had issues. I would like a checklist of the steps to take to hitch and unhitch, but I cannot find such a written list. The dealership was wonderful and explaining things but gave no written information. Does anyone know if such a list exist? Thank you all.
Christine16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Glendale , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine16 View Post

I just took delivery of a 2016 26U Flying Cloud. I am doing this on my own and excited but nervous to do this right. I went over the steps of hitching the trailer to my tow vehicle but when I went to unhitch I still had issues. I would like a checklist of the steps to take to hitch and unhitch, but I cannot find such a written list. The dealership was wonderful and explaining things but gave no written information. Does anyone know if such a list exist? Thank you all.
Welcome Christine16 and congratulations on your new Flying Cloud. We live in Kirkwood and would be happy to run through the hitch/unhitch process with you.
PM me if you feel this would be helpful and we can set something up.
Regards,
Charlie & Holly
PCLounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Welcome! We are new also. I can relate.

What kind of issues did you have?

What hitch do you use?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Welcome! Here the checklists we use for hitching, un hitching, etc. Hope they are helpful.

http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Special-Topics

We use an Equal-I-Zer weight distribution hitch, but you can modify these to suit whatever hitch you choose.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine16 View Post

Your owner's manual has the basics, and most new AS have a book for Newbies in the paperwork.

If you go up a level here, you can peruse possible threads to check. At the top left on this page, click on the blue "Hitches, Couplers and Balls" to see the list of all the threads. [many pages of them]

Others have posted checklists but the most useful ones are for specific kinds of weight distributing hitches ["WD"]. What brand of WD do you have?

And welcome to the forum!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Flying Cloud
St. Louis , Missouri
Thank you all! I have an equalizer as well and find the bars so hard to remove. I am slowly figuring it out. Charlie and Hollie I will give you a shout soon!! Thanks again.
Christine16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I am having challenges with the round bars being too close to the ground. I can't seem to get past the first link of the chain so I can make them higher when I am locking the bars in place.

Does anyone have any advice? I had my Airstream into the local dealer yesterday and they measured and said everything is level. On the way home one of the bars scraped the pavement when I crossed from one street to the other by my house.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Christine16, you can raise the trailer and truck while connected to remove the pressure on the WD bars for either hooking or unhooking.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Following up on my post from the 7th....I agree with Dan. I had forgotten that I should raise the truck and trailer, after the ball is connected and latched, to relieve pressure. Then, put the bars/chains on and lower the trailer/truck again. It worked perfectly and my bars are now about 9 inches off the ground instead of one inch.

Thanks Dan!