Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Hitches for softer ride?

Apologies for another hitch thread...

I know about Airsafe, but is anyone out there using a different brand of hitch that provides a much softer ride for the AS? I lost my mind and bought a new truck that sits a bit higher, and has a bit harsher ride than my old TV. Currently, I am using an Equalizer (10,000 bars) with no additional damping.

Right now, the Airsafe looks like a good option in concert with the Equalizer. I've also thought about going to a Blue Ox for the WD side.

Thanks in advance.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Step One

Lose the Equalizer for a hitch with tapered bars

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Step One

Lose the Equalizer for a hitch with tapered bars

Slow - why would the OP do this? I'd appreciate the education. Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Slow - why would the OP do this? I'd appreciate the education. Thanks!
I would second the recommendation. A round tapered WD bar, will flex more for a given weight rating than a square cross section bar, and thus absorb more of the shock being transferred from the TV to the trailer.

This is based on the Equal-Izer original hitch. I haven't looked into the newer ones.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
What is the tow vehicle? I don't think that there is a one answer fits all.
The equal-I-zer that I use with my 25fb is perfect because I have a 1/2 ton. If I got more truck of course I would get lighter bars but I wouldn't want the springy tapered end bars again. Too much bounce.
Really this all depends on what the OP bought. Maybe if it's enough truck you could recommend the Andersen?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hitches for softer ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I would second the recommendation. A round tapered WD bar, will flex more for a given weight rating than a square cross section bar, and thus absorb more of the shock being transferred from the TV to the trailer.

This is based on the Equal-Izer original hitch. I haven't looked into the newer ones.

Ken

This

I would also set up the WD according to truck operator manual spec. Some of the new ones may only want 50% of FALR.

Then weigh rig wheel by wheel. Set TV tires to minimum pressure per truck operator manual spec (axle spec is per heaviest tire load) and test for pressure rise afterwards.

KONI FSD shocks if available

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
What is the tow vehicle? I don't think that there is a one answer fits all.
The equal-I-zer that I use with my 25fb is perfect because I have a 1/2 ton. If I got more truck of course I would get lighter bars but I wouldn't want the springy tapered end bars again. Too much bounce.
Really this all depends on what the OP bought. Maybe if it's enough truck you could recommend the Andersen?

George
George, the new TV is a 2014 F350, Crew Cab, Long bed.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not the best matched combo in the world but I would add the Airsafe to your Equal-I-Zer based on good reports by others using it. Andersen has no spring bars which also means it has virtually no flexibility.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I read folks with F-350s like me are getting smoother ride with Bilstein shocks. I'm giving that some serious thought. I also read about the Airsafe hitch, but that option isn't available to me because of my Propride no sway hitch. The Airsafe appears to extend the hitch ball another 10" rearward. It's better to get the pivot point as close to the rear axle as possible.

Our F-350s are rigid trucks so they can haul more weight. You won't get much rear end squat when you drop on your 25 footer, so you may not have to draw up the weight distribution bars very much. But you will want some sway control.

Consider a better shock absorber for your truck. It may dampen some of the bounce out of the vehicle - trailer combination. Note, the Rancho (sp) FX4 off road shock is not the one for me. It is stiffer yet. It's for driving across plowed fields and the like.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Wink

There are several inferences that can be drawn from this thread that are above my pay grade, so maybe you pro's can give me some insight.

I have an older, round bar (& chain) WD hitch that I used on my Chevy 1500. It has 1000 lb bars. I've upgraded to a 2500 and re-set the hitch to tow my 27 FB perfectly level and the "squat" of the TV the same front and rear.

1. Do I infer that I should get softer (say 750 #) bars?
2. Am I shaking the Bejeezus out of my AS by sticking with the old bars?

(I can see something like a Hensley or ProPride in my future when I'm rich, but what do I do in the meantime? )
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
There are several inferences that can be drawn from this thread that are above my pay grade, so maybe you pro's can give me some insight.

I have an older, round bar (& chain) WD hitch that I used on my Chevy 1500. It has 1000 lb bars. I've upgraded to a 2500 and re-set the hitch to tow my 27 FB perfectly level and the "squat" of the TV the same front and rear.

(I can see something like a Hensley or ProPride in my future when I'm rich, but what do I do in the meantime? )
You will probably get varying answers. However I say leave it as is. According to the specs on Airstream's site, your tongue weight is more than 750#. Therefore if you went to 750# bars you would be exceeding the design limits of the bars.

Drive at a speed appropriate to the road surface, and you won't beat your trailer up.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post

How much front-end "squat" are you achieving?

Until a couple years ago, Chevrolet specified that the WDH should be adjusted to return the front end to the unhitched height -- not below.
Since about 2012 Chevrolet has specified that the WDH should be adjusted to eliminate only 50% of the front-end rise.
For some configurations, they now specify that a WDH is not needed.

If you want to make the front-end load greater than when unhitched, you probably cannot achieve that with 750# bars.
If you do achieve it with 750# bars, the bars probably will be overloaded.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Because I was encountering so many rough roads I added the Airsafe to my Equalizer and have been very pleased with the combination.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post

I know about Airsafe, but is anyone out there using a different brand of hitch that provides a much softer ride for the AS? I lost my mind and bought a new truck that sits a bit higher, and has a bit harsher ride than my old TV. Currently, I am using an Equalizer (10,000 bars) with no additional damping.

Right now, the Airsafe looks like a good option in concert with the Equalizer. I've also thought about going to a Blue Ox for the WD side.

Thanks in advance.
Machine down your 10k bars for a softer ride ...search my old posts for detailed instructions.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Many thanks. I do feel better about a worry that I probably manufactured.

To Ron Gratz - the squat is 5/8ths to 3/4s inch in front and right on 1 inch in the rear. That's with our carry stuff in the bed and full Propane, Fresh Water and Galley supplies and empty holding tanks.

To Ag&Au and 63Air - yep, little alternative to slowing down on roads like I-15 south of Salt Lake, MT 200 or US 99 in the Central Valley of CA.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

My two cents worth is that your Equalizer will work fine and provide a soft ride if it is properly set up.
Your hitch will need to be set lower to match the increased height of your new truck and the spring bars may need to be tightened so some of the load is transferred to the front wheels.
I am reasonably handy but I find that setting up a hitch is a job for a pro with an air wrench. Why? I can't get the bolts tight enough so they don't slip with regular wrenches. Perhaps I could at one time, but at 70, I am losing a little strength.
Other tips are to match the spring bars with your tongue weight. If you have a small trailer try 600 lb bars.
I had a bit of hobby horsing with E ST tires inflated to 70 lbs even with a 3/4th ton tow vehicle. It went away with P extra load tires inflated to 50 lbs.
The bottom line is that an Equalizer is not quite as good as controlling the trailer as a premium hitch but it will do more than an adequate job on a smaller trailer well within the tow rating of the tow vehicle.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
.............the new TV is a 2014 F350, Crew Cab, Long bed.
My 0 cent worth:
With a truck as capable as your is, I doubt you really need any weight transfer from weight distribution. Why not try it for a short trip without any WD bars. I think you will be happy with what you already have. Make sure the trailer is level after hooking up, not high in front. You do not want to overload one of the trailer axels to make it bottom out under load. Also, you might add a sway bar if you do this permanently.

With a truck wheelbase as long as yours, I doubt you will get significant weight transfer to the front axels, even with 1,000 lb bars.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You can taper AND round off the square Equalizer 10K bars yourself for a bit easier ride for the AS. We did just that when we went from a 1/2 T to a HD 3/4T ...as I posted about the process earlier (search).
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote