Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Many thanks. I do feel better about a worry that I probably manufactured.

To Ron Gratz - the squat is 5/8ths to 3/4s inch in front and right on 1 inch in the rear. That's with our carry stuff in the bed and full Propane, Fresh Water and Galley supplies and empty holding tanks.

To Ag&Au and 63Air - yep, little alternative to slowing down on roads like I-15 south of Salt Lake, MT 200 or US 99 in the Central Valley of CA.

The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
My two cents worth is that your Equalizer will work fine and provide a soft ride if it is properly set up.
Your hitch will need to be set lower to match the increased height of your new truck and the spring bars may need to be tightened so some of the load is transferred to the front wheels.
I am reasonably handy but I find that setting up a hitch is a job for a pro with an air wrench. Why? I can't get the bolts tight enough so they don't slip with regular wrenches. Perhaps I could at one time, but at 70, I am losing a little strength.
Other tips are to match the spring bars with your tongue weight. If you have a small trailer try 600 lb bars.
I had a bit of hobby horsing with E ST tires inflated to 70 lbs even with a 3/4th ton tow vehicle. It went away with P extra load tires inflated to 50 lbs.
The bottom line is that an Equalizer is not quite as good as controlling the trailer as a premium hitch but it will do more than an adequate job on a smaller trailer well within the tow rating of the tow vehicle.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
.............the new TV is a 2014 F350, Crew Cab, Long bed.
My 0 cent worth:
With a truck as capable as your is, I doubt you really need any weight transfer from weight distribution. Why not try it for a short trip without any WD bars. I think you will be happy with what you already have. Make sure the trailer is level after hooking up, not high in front. You do not want to overload one of the trailer axels to make it bottom out under load. Also, you might add a sway bar if you do this permanently.

With a truck wheelbase as long as yours, I doubt you will get significant weight transfer to the front axels, even with 1,000 lb bars.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Apologies for another hitch thread...

I know about Airsafe, but is anyone out there using a different brand of hitch that provides a much softer ride for the AS? I lost my mind and bought a new truck that sits a bit higher, and has a bit harsher ride than my old TV. Currently, I am using an Equalizer (10,000 bars) with no additional damping.

Right now, the Airsafe looks like a good option in concert with the Equalizer. I've also thought about going to a Blue Ox for the WD side.

Thanks in advance.
You can taper AND round off the square Equalizer 10K bars yourself for a bit easier ride for the AS. We did just that when we went from a 1/2 T to a HD 3/4T I posted about the process earlier (search).

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote