Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Peace River , Alberta
Hitches

Hello Everyone,
I have spend over an hour reviewing threads, and have not been able to find anyone mention Husky Center Line.
Wondering if anyone is using, or have used the TS system?
This is my first trailer, and I haven't learnt all lingo, or all the acronyms.
The dealer in Ottawa has suggested the TS system, and has mentioned that the Center Line Towing System is just an update from the TS.
I would really like to stay in the $1000 or less range for a hitch.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Kalidas

Old 08-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Never heard of this brand of hitch (which may simply be my ignorance .)

But, if this really is not a common brand, then I would hesitate to get it since it might be difficult to get service and/or parts if you were on the road and not convenient to the dealer who originally sold it to you. I would stick with one of the more common brands for that reason alone. Our Reese system cost about $900 (US) which is in the ballpark of your limit (assuming you intended to quote in Canadian $.)

Old 08-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You are going to get a lot of feedback on this one. Seems this always brings out the experts.

Sorry, I have no experience with the center line hitch, but since you asked, I am towing a 25FB with a Tundra and am using an Equalizer hitch. Well under $1K and it has been smooth, safe and easy for me.

This decision will be harder for you since there are many options out there and some new ones that have proven to be pretty good.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I did research the Huskey Center Line a few years back, to pull a 36 ft TT with a Ford F-250. I was real hot on it for a while, debating (in my mind) it with a Equalizer, trying to justify the extra $$ for the Huskey. Finally I bought the Equalizer after realizing that Center Line needs to be on very level ground for hooking & unhooking as the torque in the hitch is very strong & can be difficult to handle if not level & many camp sites are not level. Before I start a fire under owners of this hitch, that was what I learned not experienced.

I'm on my 2nd Equalizer now, new AS, new truck, so far so good.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You can buy a Reese hitch on line and save a bunch , I sure like mine.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Peace River , Alberta
Just to clarify, the dealer is suggesting the Husky HD. I think that I can get it for $1000.
The Hensley is $3300. Those are the only 2 brands this AS dealer sells.
The Canadian dollar is only worth $.75 compared to the US.
May not have much of a choice.
But please continue sharing your views.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I bought my own hitch first and took it to the dealer to pick up my new trailer. You don't have to get whatever hitch that dealer carries.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I totally agree with kscherzi, I bought mine online & dealer installed it. Make it part of the deal or pay them to do it.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidas View Post
Just to clarify, the dealer is suggesting the Husky HD. I think that I can get it for $1000.
The Hensley is $3300. Those are the only 2 brands this AS dealer sells.
The Canadian dollar is only worth $.75 compared to the US.
May not have much of a choice.
But please continue sharing your views.
Thanks
I think it is just a matter of paying your $$ and taking your choice.

From what I see on their website, it does not work on the same principal of the Hensley or Pro Pride whose designs prevent sway rather than attempt to control sway once it starts as do many weight distributing hitches that incorporate resistance elements or the like.

I previously had conventional hitches but decided to spend the $$ and get the Hensley.

Having done that, I don't regret it one bit and would do the same again, but that's me - I know that many people are completely satisfied with the more conventional design of hitch.

Tough decision!

The Husky does appear a bit different though, and for my part, I would be a bit reluctant to buy one without at least reading reviews, or hearing what other owners have to say about it first.

The Hensley (or Pro-pride) do have a bit more of a learning curve involved in hooking them up than most other hitch designs, but once hooked up are a dream to tow with.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

.....you live in the GWN.

Go to London..... and do whatever it is they tell you to do.

Bob
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidas View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have spend over an hour reviewing threads, and have not been able to find anyone mention Husky Center Line.

Wondering if anyone is using, or have used the TS system?

This is my first trailer, and I haven't learnt all lingo, or all the acronyms.

The dealer in Ottawa has suggested the TS system, and has mentioned that the Center Line Towing System is just an update from the TS.

I would really like to stay in the $1000 or less range for a hitch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kalidas

Hello there - congrats (I'm assuming from your profile you bought a new 2015 25 footer).

What tow vehicle are you using with it? That might help make your decision (see below).

For the record - I don't work for or receive any compensation of any kind from any vendor....

I don't know the Husky and haven't seen much in these forums either so no comment here.

I use the ProPride (same virtual pivot point projection principle as the Hensley). Amortized over the expected life of my (new to me in 2012) 27FB, it's like $100/yr. I recently posted about this - not being an engineer, I'd be lying if I said I understood the math or science behind its operation - but I included a link to the patent that describes it and a YouTube video of a lego model of the hitch that explains it for non-scientists like me 😃. It's in the $2500 (US) range.

I've read quite a bit on these forums about the Andersen. If you have a heavy tow vehicle whose manufacturer says you should only restore 50% of the weight lifted off the front axle by your trailer, the Andersen could be a very good answer. It does not seem to have the capability to distribute a lot of weight to the TV front axle, but if not needed, it looks like a very innovative, simple, care free design. I think it's in the $500 range.

You heard from Reese and Equal-I-Zer hitch users - these have long standing excellent reputations. In the sub-$1000 range if not mistaken.

While there are many other options, these are really the vast majority of the market available to you. You don't have to go with what the dealer sells if you want to do something else.

No matter your rig, proper setup, weighed at CAT scales is crucial to ensure you have it properly dialed in.

And, perhaps the most important device is you, the driver. I always recommend Safe RV Driver School - in the US, that can be found at many Commercial Driver License (CDL) centers and even some independent vendors. My wife and I were first time trailer folks when we got our 2012 and this is how we spent our first weekend with the rig. She's a better driver than I am but I can't seem to relinquish control! 😃

I was scared to death pulling it from the dealer to the CDL center - but after some training - I actually wish it were hooked to the truck all the time! I love seeing it in my rear view mirror!

Ok - hope that's of some help. Good luck and congrats!!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Don't forget the need or don't need an equalizing or anti-sway hitch based on TV and trailer conversation.

My 99 F250 towed our 27' Overlander through the mountains and gusting side winds with a normal hitch and no problems, did not know there was a trailer back there.

However, it came with an equalizing hitch and now that I understand how to set it up (thanks to this forum and youtube), I'll use it next time I tow.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Husky Center Line

I bought a used Husky CenterLine this spring. Previously I had a "No Name" round torsion bar hitch. I am very happy with the hitch, and have had no problems with unhitching. Normally the TV is straight in line with the trailer, but if you can forsee a problem, take the bars off and then back in. Yes, the hitch does need to be within about 3 degrees of center to have the bars come off easily. NO BIG DEAL!! Have had no sway and have pulled in some god awful winds. You will find that the advocates of the PP and HaHa deem any other hitch as inferior, and maybe they are. I was not prepared to pay the kind of $$$ wanted to buy one. If you have a suitable TV and the hitch set up correctly, you should have no problem. No hitch can compensate for incompetence or lack of common sense. I pull a 1994- 34' with a 2002, 2500HD Duramax. No mini van or Suv for me, although I am sure my wife's Touareg could pull the trailer with no problem. Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hiche 😂

That is awesome!!!