Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SS&M,



Yes but....



2015 25' FB International and we can't rationalize another $1500...what am I not understanding?



Bob


I know. That was my equation too. But everyone's calculus is different. 😎
__________________

__________________
SteveSueMac is offline  
Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SS&M,

Yes but....

2015 25' FB International and we can't rationalize another $1500...what am I not understanding?

Bob
Well, if I may so bold as to throw this out, "what you may not be understanding" is, if another hitch, of less expensive cost, and simpler design, meets the requirements of safe, stable towing, then what is the need to have this "other higher end" hitch ? Other than to say, "hey, I've already dropped a hunnert grand on this shiney trailer....whatt's another $3k ? "
__________________

__________________
gmw photos is offline  
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
 
Hiho Silver's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
I have a Reese dual cam I am now using, works ok but noisy. I had an equalizer same thing. I'm probably going to go with the Blue Ox next on my 2016 arriving in 2 months. As far as the Hensley and Pro Pride I've heard they are heavy (I'm old and don't need the extra tongue weight ), hard to line up when hooking up (must be perfectly straight), and when taking in for service or if a tow is ever needed they might not be equipped to hook the trailer up. Just curious, if I've got the wrong facts




Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
Hiho Silver is offline  
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I have a Reese dual cam I am now using, works ok but noisy. I had an equalizer same thing. I'm probably going to go with the Blue Ox next on my 2016 arriving in 2 months. As far as the Hensley and Pro Pride I've heard they are heavy (I'm old and don't need the extra tongue weight ), hard to line up when hooking up (must be perfectly straight), and when taking in for service or if a tow is ever needed they might not be equipped to hook the trailer up. Just curious, if I've got the wrong facts




Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

You're not uninformed. It's heavier than most, while you don't have to be perfectly lined up, you do have to know how to adjust the WD jacks if the head binds on hitching (learning curve) and moving it at the service center without specific arrangements can be problematic. All true. All able to be managed, but non-issues with other choices.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline  
Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I have a Reese dual cam I am now using, works ok but noisy. I had an equalizer same thing. I'm probably going to go with the Blue Ox next on my 2016 arriving in 2 months. As far as the Hensley and Pro Pride I've heard they are heavy (I'm old and don't need the extra tongue weight ), hard to line up when hooking up (must be perfectly straight), and when taking in for service or if a tow is ever needed they might not be equipped to hook the trailer up. Just curious, if I've got the wrong facts




Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I'm no youngster either, that's another reason I like the Hensley/ProPride. Once installed the hitch stays on the trailer. Only the stinger is moveable.

And that moveable stinger solves the service question; leave it with the Airstream and they can move the trailer with a standard receiver.

Alignment of the stinger is simple and the key to easy hookups. I've never had anything but the easiest hookup and disconnect with our hitch from the beginning. Watch a couple of the instructional videos. Back the stinger into it, latch it up, set the w.d. to the exact setting (the w.d. screw jacks make this possible), and you're good to go. Well, pull the chocks and the usual stuff.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline  
Old 08-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,138
Images: 33
Cheryl, how many different hitches did you have prior to your pp?
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
I have had a few equalizers with single and dual friction brakes, a Reese Dual Cam and an Anderson Anti Sway. In 20 years of towing the only major sway condition I have experienced was bringing the new 2015 30' Bunk home from Boise with a new dealer installed Anderson system. The winds were very bad and just as I exited from under a sweeping left hand curve with an overpass a large gust created an instant severe sway condition. I bought a PP before towing again. The PP is the only system I have used that does not require constant minor, sometimes major steering wheel inputs during heaving winds, when speeding semis pass by or when overtaking a semi in heavy winds. Depending on my complete TV/Trailer setup some were better than others but it was always there. I now drive relaxed, one hand on the wheel at the posted speed limit. I no longer practice the manual trailer brake control quick draw. I hope no one ever experiences a sudden severe sway condition but if you do it will make you ponder your prior decisions and future options. I am as frugal as anyone on the board but the move to a PP was a very good investment in safety, towing confidence and comfort. I am much less mentally and physically fatigued at the end of a long day in the wind.
__________________
2012FB is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Again the OP wanted to know about under a thousand dollar hitches. Everyone who talked about the super expensive ones have in essence hijacked the thread, again.
__________________
avionstream is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
............ Other than to say, "hey, I've already dropped a hunnert grand on this shiney trailer....whatt's another $3k ? "

EXACTLY....someone who get's it!!!!

Whats another $$$$$$$$ for the best dam piece of steel in this Galaxy.

TETO

Bob
__________________
ROBERT CROSS is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,271
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
EXACTLY....someone who get's it!!!!

Whats another $$$$$$$$ for the best dam piece of steel in this Galaxy.

TETO

Bob
Hi, the best dam steel in this Galaxy was my 59 Galaxie, now in Australia.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Again the OP wanted to know about under a thousand dollar hitches. Everyone who talked about the super expensive ones have in essence hijacked the thread, again.

I get your point - I know parts of my posts were PP specific (including where the OP might find a used one in that price range). But the OP asked specifically about the Husky and I think only 1 Husky user replied. You'd have to say that anyone not posting specifically about Husky was hijacking but I don't see it that way.

I know I also mentioned several other sub-$1k brands to consider which I had to do when I, like the OP, was buying my first ever trailer. Like many others here, I've benefitted from the wide range of experience among the members and have learned multiple ways to solve a particular problem. I see nothing wrong with sharing that experience with others who will then filter out what works for them in their own calculations.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I have had a few equalizers with single and dual friction brakes, a Reese Dual Cam and an Anderson Anti Sway. In 20 years of towing the only major sway condition I have experienced was bringing the new 2015 30' Bunk home from Boise with a new dealer installed Anderson system. The winds were very bad and just as I exited from under a sweeping left hand curve with an overpass a large gust created an instant severe sway condition. I bought a PP before towing again. The PP is the only system I have used that does not require constant minor, sometimes major steering wheel inputs during heaving winds, when speeding semis pass by or when overtaking a semi in heavy winds. Depending on my complete TV/Trailer setup some were better than others but it was always there. I now drive relaxed, one hand on the wheel at the posted speed limit. I no longer practice the manual trailer brake control quick draw. I hope no one ever experiences a sudden severe sway condition but if you do it will make you ponder your prior decisions and future options. I am as frugal as anyone on the board but the move to a PP was a very good investment in safety, towing confidence and comfort. I am much less mentally and physically fatigued at the end of a long day in the wind.
This is a good example apparently of part of my earlier posts. Obviously, you have a truck/trailer rigging combination that was less than ideal. In your case, the PP solved the issue, so it's the correct tool for the job.
__________________

__________________
gmw photos is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help on Hitches clown Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 09-23-2003 03:31 PM
Towing Hitches deblue Hitches, Couplers & Balls 0 08-21-2003 12:02 AM
"Quality S' hitches? drboyd Hitches, Couplers & Balls 1 07-07-2003 09:51 PM
differences in reese hitches Craig Hitches, Couplers & Balls 7 06-15-2003 08:01 PM
Blue Ox Hitches... crazylev Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 03-12-2003 12:01 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.