Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I use the BlueOx SwayPro and have not experienced sway. Hitch is well under $1,000, easy to install and easy to hitch/unhitch.

Provides excellent WD with the proper bars. The bars are grease free, so no mess, and no need to remove to back the trailer. The hitch is also quiet compared to some.

Lots of dealers in the USA and Canada.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
From what I have observed on this and other forums, as well as out on the road talking to folks in campgrounds, the fundamental issue is "does the trailer tow well to begin with ?"
If the answer is yes, then pretty much any WD hitch with either built in, or add on anti-sway seems to work well. Those that seem to like the hensley and propride the most are often the guys that are having a hard time getting the trailer/truck combo to tow correctly. In those cases, the two "premium high dollar" hitches usually solve the towing problems.
My gut instinct is to start with the basics ( good towing trailer matched to a suitable tow vehicle ), and then work up from there. A well rigged, nicely balanced trailer is a dream to tow in all weather conditions. Mine is, and I guess I was lucky that I did not need a virtual pivot point projection hitch.

"Your towing mileage may vary"
Old 08-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Lots of folks missing the point of the Hensley design. It's not about big truck, small truck. Or well-balanced rigs. Or whether my present rig tows just fine. Or whether you need one. Or earthquakes.

The trailer cannot move out of alignment with the truck, unless the truck steers it. The trailer cannot sway. The trailer is not pushed out of alignment to the tow vehicle by passing semis. It is the only hitch that works that way. Period.

It is hard to imagine how pleasant and relaxed the towing experience is if you've never used one. Is it safer? Yes.

The Hensley/ProPride users get this bashing by Airstreamers who have never used one every time. And the Hensley/ProPride users' only purpose is to advise the o.p. of the superior performance they have experienced.
Doug, with all due respect, I think you are missing "my" point. And that is although I do not use a pivot point projection hitch, my trailer does not sway. So why do I care if it "cannot sway with a propride or hensley" ? It does not sway with the hitch I have. Why does it not sway ? I suspect a large part of that is simply because the trailer is properly balanced, well designed, correctly rigged to an appropriate tow vehicle. And then to add to that, my chosen hitch restores 100% to the steer axle, and whole thing quite simply works.

If a person needs a propride, due to the requirements of the trailer and tow vehicle in question, then sure, it's a great choice. In fact, over on rv net, the other day I suggested that a propride might very well be what a certain poster needed to solve his rigging/towing issues.

But not all of us need that level of rigging to get correct towing performance.

For what little it may be worth, I'm not new at this. I've been towing since the late 1960's, and currently have four trailers I pull a lot....two gooseneck and two bumper pulls.

respectfully submitted.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

I disagree with the statement in post #42 and agree with post# 40.

For those who haven't used a PPP please just admit you don't want to spend the money....after all it's just an Airstream.

We users can't convey the advantages...it takes first hand experience to do that.
I rationalized three years before getting ours....time wasted. I wasn't trying to 'correct' anything, I just wanted the best set-up available, its more than just sway, it just toes better.
Plus my co-pilot loves the improvement.

As far as ease of use and steep learning curve goes, practice and common sense helps the most.
If I can do it anyone can.

Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yes, but Bob - if the OP wants to spend only $1000 on the hitch, he must find either a used HaHa/PP or a new anything else. And since the dealer is offering the Husky (in range) or Hensley (new and therefore out of range) he must either get something different installed elsewhere or determine if the Husky will work for his needs.

That I would choose to amortize the cost of the PP on a new rig over 25 years doesn't matter if the OP sees it differently. So if $1K is the budget max - there are several other fine choices.

While the PP works for me, Hensley's stuff isn't the only answer even if it's the best answer (now come on, that's just for comedy!!! &#128516
Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
No one is saying that anyone must buy a Hensley designed hitch we are just talking about our experience..

Old 08-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

SS&M,

Yes but....

2015 25' FB International and we can't rationalize another $1500...what am I not understanding?

Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
For those who haven't used a PPP please just admit you don't want to spend the money....after all it's just an Airstream.

We users can't convey the advantages...it takes first hand experience to do that.

Bob
Hi, and those who haven't towed with an Equal-I-zer don't know either. When we make it to WNY you can tow my trailer with my tow vehicle.

As for cost, I could ......... I paid cash for my trailer, my tow vehicle, and even my house; So I certainly can afford any hitch made. But to me, why waste money needlessly. My Acer net book works just fine, so I don't need or want an Apple.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
SS&M,

Yes but....

2015 25' FB International and we can't rationalize another $1500...what am I not understanding?

Bob

I know. That was my equation too. But everyone's calculus is different. 😎
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
SS&M,

Yes but....

Bob
Well, if I may so bold as to throw this out, "what you may not be understanding" is, if another hitch, of less expensive cost, and simpler design, meets the requirements of safe, stable towing, then what is the need to have this "other higher end" hitch ? Other than to say, "hey, I've already dropped a hunnert grand on this shiney trailer....whatt's another $3k ? "
Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I have a Reese dual cam I am now using, works ok but noisy. I had an equalizer same thing. I'm probably going to go with the Blue Ox next on my 2016 arriving in 2 months. As far as the Hensley and Pro Pride I've heard they are heavy (I'm old and don't need the extra tongue weight ), hard to line up when hooking up (must be perfectly straight), and when taking in for service or if a tow is ever needed they might not be equipped to hook the trailer up. Just curious, if I've got the wrong facts

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I have a Reese dual cam I am now using, works ok but noisy. I had an equalizer same thing. I'm probably going to go with the Blue Ox next on my 2016 arriving in 2 months. As far as the Hensley and Pro Pride I've heard they are heavy (I'm old and don't need the extra tongue weight ), hard to line up when hooking up (must be perfectly straight), and when taking in for service or if a tow is ever needed they might not be equipped to hook the trailer up. Just curious, if I've got the wrong facts

You're not uninformed. It's heavier than most, while you don't have to be perfectly lined up, you do have to know how to adjust the WD jacks if the head binds on hitching (learning curve) and moving it at the service center without specific arrangements can be problematic. All true. All able to be managed, but non-issues with other choices.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post

I'm no youngster either, that's another reason I like the Hensley/ProPride. Once installed the hitch stays on the trailer. Only the stinger is moveable.

And that moveable stinger solves the service question; leave it with the Airstream and they can move the trailer with a standard receiver.

Alignment of the stinger is simple and the key to easy hookups. I've never had anything but the easiest hookup and disconnect with our hitch from the beginning. Watch a couple of the instructional videos. Back the stinger into it, latch it up, set the w.d. to the exact setting (the w.d. screw jacks make this possible), and you're good to go. Well, pull the chocks and the usual stuff.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cheryl, how many different hitches did you have prior to your pp?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I have had a few equalizers with single and dual friction brakes, a Reese Dual Cam and an Anderson Anti Sway. In 20 years of towing the only major sway condition I have experienced was bringing the new 2015 30' Bunk home from Boise with a new dealer installed Anderson system. The winds were very bad and just as I exited from under a sweeping left hand curve with an overpass a large gust created an instant severe sway condition. I bought a PP before towing again. The PP is the only system I have used that does not require constant minor, sometimes major steering wheel inputs during heaving winds, when speeding semis pass by or when overtaking a semi in heavy winds. Depending on my complete TV/Trailer setup some were better than others but it was always there. I now drive relaxed, one hand on the wheel at the posted speed limit. I no longer practice the manual trailer brake control quick draw. I hope no one ever experiences a sudden severe sway condition but if you do it will make you ponder your prior decisions and future options. I am as frugal as anyone on the board but the move to a PP was a very good investment in safety, towing confidence and comfort. I am much less mentally and physically fatigued at the end of a long day in the wind.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Again the OP wanted to know about under a thousand dollar hitches. Everyone who talked about the super expensive ones have in essence hijacked the thread, again.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
............ Other than to say, "hey, I've already dropped a hunnert grand on this shiney trailer....whatt's another $3k ? "

EXACTLY....someone who get's it!!!!

Whats another $$$$$$$$ for the best dam piece of steel in this Galaxy.

TETO

Bob
Old 08-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
EXACTLY....someone who get's it!!!!

Whats another $$$$$$$$ for the best dam piece of steel in this Galaxy.

TETO

Bob
Hi, the best dam steel in this Galaxy was my 59 Galaxie, now in Australia.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Again the OP wanted to know about under a thousand dollar hitches. Everyone who talked about the super expensive ones have in essence hijacked the thread, again.

I get your point - I know parts of my posts were PP specific (including where the OP might find a used one in that price range). But the OP asked specifically about the Husky and I think only 1 Husky user replied. You'd have to say that anyone not posting specifically about Husky was hijacking but I don't see it that way.

I know I also mentioned several other sub-$1k brands to consider which I had to do when I, like the OP, was buying my first ever trailer. Like many others here, I've benefitted from the wide range of experience among the members and have learned multiple ways to solve a particular problem. I see nothing wrong with sharing that experience with others who will then filter out what works for them in their own calculations.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I have had a few equalizers with single and dual friction brakes, a Reese Dual Cam and an Anderson Anti Sway. In 20 years of towing the only major sway condition I have experienced was bringing the new 2015 30' Bunk home from Boise with a new dealer installed Anderson system. The winds were very bad and just as I exited from under a sweeping left hand curve with an overpass a large gust created an instant severe sway condition. I bought a PP before towing again. The PP is the only system I have used that does not require constant minor, sometimes major steering wheel inputs during heaving winds, when speeding semis pass by or when overtaking a semi in heavy winds. Depending on my complete TV/Trailer setup some were better than others but it was always there. I now drive relaxed, one hand on the wheel at the posted speed limit. I no longer practice the manual trailer brake control quick draw. I hope no one ever experiences a sudden severe sway condition but if you do it will make you ponder your prior decisions and future options. I am as frugal as anyone on the board but the move to a PP was a very good investment in safety, towing confidence and comfort. I am much less mentally and physically fatigued at the end of a long day in the wind.
This is a good example apparently of part of my earlier posts. Obviously, you have a truck/trailer rigging combination that was less than ideal. In your case, the PP solved the issue, so it's the correct tool for the job.
Closed Thread