Old 06-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hitches?

Okay, I've done a search but I must not know the correct parameters to get the expected info!
My husband was told if we switch to a four point hitch, it will greatly improve towing. So okay, I called two local people to price them out. keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm simply a parrot..... my usual repair guy says he can sell me one for $415, and good ol local Airstream dealer says $600! Both made sure to tell me these are NOT dual cam hitches.
Tonight, I go to eBay to check prices out there, and pop up so many hits, nearly 7,000 I was overwhelmed. I've tried webcrawler. and I've tried this forum, but I still don't understand the differences.
Does anybody have a brand name I can search for?
What should I expect to pay for a four point hitch? Do they ever become available as used?
Heck, sure wish I knew what the questions to ask were..... what are the differences between draw tights, four points, three points, weight distribution, what's a hensley hitch? Good grief! I'm in the swamp and can't find my way out!
HELP!!!!!

Elizabeth in Iowa

Old 06-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Get a Reese Dual Cam Hitch.
It is a "4 point" hitch...meaning that you have 2 contact points on the trailer that make 2 contact points on the hitch head to provide weight distribution and sway control in one package.
You will not be sorry you got this type hitch. Many on this forum, like me, use it and are completely happy with the performance.....Good hitches cost money. The performance of a cheap hitch can cost you the entire trailer. This is no area to be too chincy with a couple hundred dollars.
...just my 2 cents....

Old 06-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

There are used hitches at hitchtrader.com
Old 07-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hitch, AND weight!

Okay, the new hitch is on. Also, new tires (load range D), new wheels, and had the upper and lower ball joints done on the ford E-350 XL.
We ended by selecting a Reese Equilizer hitch... readily available in our area when the others aren't.
Cost of the hitch was, ummm, interesting? Fogdall quoted me 'about $600', my local independent priced it at $415. And it turns out they both get the same hitch from the same distributor! Wow! Talk about mark-up! Not my first experience with Fogdall and their creative pricing......
Anyhow, we feel ready to take off on the Fourth.... plan a little under 2,000 miles, and will be gone from the 4th until about the 13th. This will give us plenty of time to get a feel for all the changes... tires, wheels, hitch, etc.
Now a question on trailer weights and so on. When we weighed the trailer, and got a tongue weight so we could set up the hitch properly, I was pretty shocked at the weights! I know the manual gives a dry weight of 4950 pounds for our 31 foot Excella 'without options'. Does anyone have an idea of how much options add to weight? In other words, has anyone weighed their empty trailer? Before you've packed your personal stuff? I can't believe what little bit we carry in the trailer adds up to that amount! And our tanks, all of them, were empty! Hadn't even added the special water we carry for the dogs.... I was struggling to recall what we routinely carry for personal needs.... and it seems darn little really.... clothes mainly..... a handful of groceries (we eat out a lot). We carry all the heavy stuff in the van! The grooming tables, crates, x-pens, tack boxes, food, grooming tent add up to about 500 pounds but is all in the van!
Any ideas on how to lighten up? Or what empty of personal stuff 31 footers should weigh?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I haven't had my new Classic weighed at this point but I remember the empty weight on my '01 27' Safari was labeled at 5,500 lbs. With full LP, and my normal clothing and food supply with empty refrigerator and no water in any of the holding tanks, we came in at 6,000 lbs.

Elizabeth, I don't think you told us what your weight was.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I just bought a brand new Reese w/ dual cam for $300.00 honest! He only had the 800# bars, for my 740# tongue weight though, but I went with it anyway. 2&5/16 ball came with it too. What a difference.
Dick
Old 07-03-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Navigator, me too...I can't believe the gouging that happens in some places...