Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Have you all noticed that everytime you get a CAT re-weight your GVCW is different.

That's why I started using the Sherline Tongue Scale.

Cat, gave me tongue weights between 760-900lb @ the tongue jack.

Sherline, 1055-1200 @ the ball socket. Depending on load....

quite a surprise to say the least.
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #16
Fuil-Timers
 
DreamStreamr's Avatar

 
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
Images: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Bob, that is a significant difference. Crud. I guess the Sherline would make a fine addition to my gear, cuz I'd be able to tell how many pounds of rocks she stowed under the front sofa.

More seriously, it would be nice to monitor this more accurately then just do one pass through CAT scales for axle weights. I'm looking into the Sherline -- Thanks.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Living the Dream

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=DreamStreamr;811501 I'm looking into the Sherline -- Thanks.
Jim[/QUOTE]

At around $100, it was worth it, gives the option of checking the tongue weight when loading for a trip. Less time at the Cat's when you need only check axle weights.

We now know when to put the junk in the trunk.

For real....it does make it easier to get the balance thing right!!
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
arcamedies's Avatar
 
1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
Images: 69
Blog Entries: 5
Question true weights the angle of the fulcrum point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The bathroom scale works ok with single axle trailers, but presents a problem when attempting to weigh the tounge weight of a tandem axle trailer, along with most any other scale.

A tandem axle trailer, must be perfectly level, in order to obtain the correct tongue weight.

If the front of the trailer is higher than level, the weight reading will be higher than the actual true tongue weight.

Also, if the front of the trailer is lower than level, the weight reading will be lower than the actual true tongue weight.

Andy
Hi Andy

I knew I shouldn't have gotten a dual axle trailer for more reasons than it costing triple at toll roads.

Would measuring weight at the coupler be accurate if the trailer tongue is at the 19 1/2" recommended level? (assumed level angle)
__________________
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The bathroom scale works ok with single axle trailers, but presents a problem when attempting to weigh the tounge weight of a tandem axle trailer, along with most any other scale.

A tandem axle trailer, must be perfectly level, in order to obtain the correct tongue weight.

If the front of the trailer is higher than level, the weight reading will be higher than the actual true tongue weight.

Also, if the front of the trailer is lower than level, the weight reading will be lower than the actual true tongue weight.

Andy
You can weigh the trailer at the hitch jack to compensate for this, and add 10% or so for the difference in lever arm.
__________________
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
AirsDream's Avatar
 
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
I'd be able to tell how many pounds of rocks she stowed under the front sofa.

More seriously, it would be nice to monitor this more accurately then just do one pass through CAT scales for axle weights.

More seriously? See, I've got a DW who collects rocks from all over the world for her garden. She calls it "rock rescue." She thinks Lucy in the Long, Long Trailer is being perfectly rational. In fact, I once came home to fine a 800# rock in the back of the pickup ... she BOUGHT it and got some guy with a major league forklift to put it in the truck - my job: to remove it and put it where it was "supposed to go."

So I'm ALWAYS careful to take a rock inventory before hitching up!
__________________
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
No ensuite scales in our house
------------------------------------------------
.

Is the word "ensuite" common in parts of the country?
I had to google it to find out what it means.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Hi Andy

I knew I shouldn't have gotten a dual axle trailer for more reasons than it costing triple at toll roads.

Would measuring weight at the coupler be accurate if the trailer tongue is at the 19 1/2" recommended level? (assumed level angle)
Single axle, yes.

Tandem or tri-axle, no.

The tongue height is a function of the trailer weight and pay load, and also of the axle condition.

As an example, the trailer weight and pay load can be constant, but as the rubber rods age within the axle, the entire trailer drops closer to the ground.

That being the case, the tongue height, will, in time, lower.

Therefore the trailers "brand new" tongue height, will change, depending on the pay load, and, the condition of the axle/axles rubber rods.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Is the word "ensuite" common in parts of the country?
I had to google it to find out what it means.

Ken
No more so than..."outhouse"
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Fuil-Timers
 
DreamStreamr's Avatar

 
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
Images: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
W7TS, I didn't learn it on QRZ.com, but did hear it a lot from friends from north of the 49th parallel. Likewise my favorite, washroom. In their Safeways it might not work at all to ask for a men's room or a restroom. Ask for a washroom and you're readily directed to the necessary room.

Kinda makes me wonder if they men's room and restroom have connotations there and that store just doesn't have those hangouts?

AirsDream, you really need some kinda interactive weight sensing -- sort of a rock sensor. Or just put a lock on the bed cover. The trailer is hers, the truck is mine. She has all the pretty interior spaces, I have the cool stuff in the truck bed. Not a bad trade-off for me.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/dreamstreamr/My%20Pictures/Picasa%20Exports/2005%20CCD%2025%20tech%20pics/IMG_2493.jpg[/IMG]
Another solution, if there's the right amount of stuff in the truck's bed then there's no room for 800 pound rocks. Or you might find a big rock and be wondering, where's the big toolchest used to be right here???

Jim
__________________
Living the Dream

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 477
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
At around $100, it was worth it, gives the option of checking the tongue weight when loading for a trip. Less time at the Cat's when you need only check axle weights.

We now know when to put the junk in the trunk.

For real....it does make it easier to get the balance thing right!!
Bob,

I received my Sherline yesterday, and measured the tongue weight today. Our trailer is currently winterized, so it is as light as it is going to get.....no liquids, etc., etc. (I wanted to see the difference between dry and wet weights). I utilized the Sherline recommended procedure of using a floor jack with the scale.

I think my owner's manual listed the TW around 725 lbs....it measured 800 lbs. It will be interesting to do this again when it's loaded up for a trip.

Ron
__________________
Dream like you're going to live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow, and dance like nobody is watching!

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Bob,

I think my owner's manual listed the TW around 725 lbs....it measured 800 lbs. It will be interesting to do this again when it's loaded up for a trip.

Ron
Yeah...I about fell over the first time I weighed.
We were all packed for a two week dock'n trip so were loaded down pretty good, plus I knew the Hensley would add at least 150lb... but an almost 1200lb tongue weight for 25' trailer was a real surprise.

Interesting that my CAT scale weight for the trailer axles on that trip was 7680lb, 380Lbs over what the axles are rated for. GVWR 7300lb on two 3500lb axles. (might want to ck yours)

So be REAL careful folks, STUFF adds up quick!!!

Got me to moving things around while packing, and made towing even more comfortable knowing things were balanced a little better.
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
arcamedies's Avatar
 
1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
Images: 69
Blog Entries: 5
The angle of the frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Single axle, yes.

Tandem or tri-axle, no.

The tongue height is a function of the trailer weight and pay load, and also of the axle condition.

As an example, the trailer weight and pay load can be constant, but as the rubber rods age within the axle, the entire trailer drops closer to the ground.

That being the case, the tongue height, will, in time, lower.

Therefore the trailers "brand new" tongue height, will change, depending on the pay load, and, the condition of the axle/axles rubber rods.

Andy
Thanks Andy

Now I'm thinking I really like the 280 MH Lili and Hans bought that Vinnie's helping with, no juggling act on angles, sag, or calculating levelness.

As you can see in my avatar pic the trailer sits high but my guess is measuring where the rear notch is on the frame and the coupler receiver to see what height is really level and get the tongue weight there.

The Winnebago dealer that sold the trailer couldn't get the ball lower than 20 1/2" due to the high rear end on my FJ but when coupled it sits at 19 1/2". sooooo that would indicate that the tongue weight may be higher even though they measured what they said was level and the trailer tongue weight off the TV was at 540lbs. PHEWWW

In a nutshell where are good points on the frame to measure when the trailer is by itself so I can get a balance reference point for loading?
Concidering axle drop, tire pressure, and frame warp, just kidding.

Thanks John
__________________
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #28
RLS
Rivet Master
 
RLS's Avatar

 
2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yeah...I about fell over the first time I weighed.
We were all packed for a two week dock'n trip so were loaded down pretty good, plus I knew the Hensley would add at least 150lb... but an almost 1200lb tongue weight for 25' trailer was a real surprise.

Interesting that my CAT scale weight for the trailer axles on that trip was 7680lb, 380Lbs over what the axles are rated for. GVWR 7300lb on two 3500lb axles. (might want to ck yours)

So be REAL careful folks, STUFF adds up quick!!!

Got me to moving things around while packing, and made towing even more comfortable knowing things were balanced a little better.
This is so true. Also, make sure to check your T V for max. tongue weight on the receiver. I too have to be VERY careful on loading since our T V has a max. of 1,000 lbs. tongue weight and the trailer has a tongue weight of 870 lbs. unloaded! The Sherline has been good to have in loading the trailer and keeping the weight distributed correctly.
__________________

__________________
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitch height Chuck Hitches, Couplers & Balls 20 04-09-2016 11:21 PM
Poor design on slide bathroom door lbrodsky 2001 Safari 15 04-17-2005 09:01 AM
weight specs for 68 Overlander 26D PeterH-Airstreamer 1969 Overlander 5 02-08-2003 04:49 PM
Hitch problem wyhjr Hitches, Couplers & Balls 8 07-22-2002 06:29 PM
Hitch inspections 83Excella Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 07-09-2002 04:05 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.