Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Keene , New Hampshire
Hitch type bike racks

We are accepting delivery of our new flying cloud 25 soon. I would like to be able to mount a hitch receiver on the back of the trailer so that I could use a hitch type bike rack and swap between the flying cloud and my total vehicle.I have been told by my dealer this is not recommended by airstream. Does anybody know why it is not recommended. Has anybody successfully use this mounting system. I have seen some hitch mounted bike racks on iAirstreams on the road so it is being done
New Hampshire newbie

phowe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think you'll find most advise here will be to NOT go this route. People that know more than I do about Airstreams advise against this saying that the frames are not made to take the extra weight bouncing around. The more acceptable option might be to look towards having a rack approved for the Airstream mounted. Another option ( and one I'm considering myself ) is a front mounted receiver on my truck. So there are some options for you to consider. The bottom line is simply that it's your trailer and after putting thought to this you will need to make your decision.

Hope spring is springing in New Hampshire finally.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The strength of an Airstream is due to the Interplay between the steel frame and the aluminum body. A receiver hitch plus bike rack plus bikes could add to well over 100 lbs. Dead weight hanging and bouncing off the rear of your trailer. You risk frame body detachment issues and popped rivets long term as the bike rack slowly tries to pull the flexible frame away from the stiffer aluminum body. The Airstream authorized bike rack by comparison attached to both frame and body distributing the load. Its your trailer.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I think AS sells a rear mounted bicycle rack fort the newer model AS's.
However anyone who has had rear separation issues will tell you from experience, it is not a good idea. Saw one AS with a rear bike rack go over a big driveway bump and put a handle bar through there rear window. Ouch!
Why not do what myself and others have done and get a front mounted receiver for your TV and put your bikes up front or top mount. Some folks even put there very expensive bikes inside the trailer on home made stand/racks.
Check out some of the older threads. Go to google and type Air Stream bike racks, select from the posts from the

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Topanga , California
I'm considering this option, rack over propane tanks.
Arvika - Home
Nanette L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
2011 23' FB International
Erie , Colorado
We also were advised against adding tongue attachment to the back. Also have bike rack (double) for other vehicles. Told the airstream can not handle weight, under carriage not designed for any weight. We ordered airstreams designed rack on their web- site. Had delivered to local Airstream dealer. It is added to the bumper. Very very sturdy. Remember that with the cost is the added install price, so double your cost. Worth it!
Colleenwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I have a 2-inch receiver installed on my 20ft FC. It is welded to a 2-inch cross-bar which, in turn, is welded very solidly to the main connection to the bumper or any other part of the AS body. I have trusted that setup with my bike carrier and two bikes for several thousand miles now..with no (apparent) damage to the body. But I also try to avoid dumb moves (thus by-passing the Indiana/Eastern Ohio-Western PA stretch of I-70 with its giant potholes this summer). Maybe it depends just how a rear receiver is attached? jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
There have been several discussions of this even during the 7 months that I have participated in Air Forums. Bottom line: The rear rack sold by Airstream is fine, but if you want to put in a trailer-hitch-type bike rack, add a front hitch on the tow vehicle, rather than a rear hitch on the Airstream, which is not designed for such weight/torque.
Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hitch type bike racks

I have a cheap couple of bikes, fixed frame beach cruiser and a fold up. I usually take one or the other depending on the terrain expected. No rack, I put them in the trailer. Just lay them on the floor.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i think i understand this debate as i asked this question several months ago. i carefully examined the AS recommended bike rack and how it is mounted, 3 bolts through the frame member to which the bumper is attached. i can appreciate the leverage that a bike or two might have on the trailer but i am willing to take that risk as at this point, only one bike is coming along for our travels.

i fabricated my own mount that uses the AS bike rack of 3 bolts in approximately the same location. i have a solid Yakima bike rack that bolts into the reciever, maybe 20#s and add to that a single bike, another 25#s.

i fabricated and had my mount powder coated for about $80 total. if this separates this frame from the upper carriage, i would be astonished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikereciever.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	238332   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikereciever2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	238333  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bikereciever3.jpg