Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
Hitch Question

I am going to look at a 72 Safari to purchase. I don't have a weight dist. hitch and might buy one before I move the Safari (150 miles). With a 03 f250 ford, diesel, what hitch would be the best for the money.

Thanks
Jerry

wear it out, don't rust it out

Jerry
jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman
I am going to look at a 72 Safari to purchase. I don't have a weight dist. hitch and might buy one before I move the Safari (150 miles). With a 03 f250 ford, diesel, what hitch would be the best for the money.

Thanks
Jerry
I'd just make sure I had the right ball (2-1/8?) and that the top of the ball is around 19 inches after hookup (for your truck, I'm guessing 20.5 inches to top of ball with no load).

This assumes you can take your time driving home, that there is little extra in the truck or trailer, and maybe that you tow during the day.

Other factors such as brakes, tires, and turn signals will be bigger factors in getting that trailer home safely, IMHO.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post

Thanks
Jerry
Jerry.

The ball size is 2 5/16 inch.

The ball height is a function of the condition of the axles.

Brand new it was 19 1/2 inches.

If the rubber rods in the axle are bad, it could be as low as 15 inches.

Typically, a torsion axle that's 39 years old will have bad rubber rods, and especially if it has been parked for an extended period of time.

It is NOT SAFE to tow that trailer without a load equalizing hitch. Trucks have no magic designs.

The following article, will help you check out the axle.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Just to get it home, you can use a 2 5/16" ball on a drop so the trailer sits pretty much level.
After you get it home a 600-800pound WD setup will give you the best results. Preferred brand would be a Reese Dual Cam, Strait Line, or HP.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I agree with OVERLANDER63 2/ 5/16 ball and go ahead and buy a WD hitch with 600 lb bars. This will give you the best ride for you and the trailer. I use an old Style REESE Dual Cam Straightline with 550 lbs bars. I use 6 links only under tension and that gives us a nice ocean wave ride even with our 1 ton. GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

Thanks
Jerry
WD is well worth the money. I wouldn't want to move that trailer 150 miles without WD.

Check etrailer.com for current prices and brands but for a Safari you just need WD and not sway control so you should be able to find something that will work for around $300. Any of the brands are good, Reese, Curt, etc.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
WD is well worth the money. I wouldn't want to move that trailer 150 miles without WD.

Check etrailer.com for current prices and brands but for a Safari you just need WD and not sway control so you should be able to find something that will work for around $300. Any of the brands are good, Reese, Curt, etc.
Every driver towing an Airstream trailer, is different.

Some may be able to handle a sway, with no sway control and most cannot.

The very best rule is, "if in ANY doubt, get a sway control. PERIOD".

I am not aware of any "data" that says that using a sway control creates more of a "HAZARD".

I am aware of loads of data, and opinions, that says if you don't, you have not maximized safety.

Andy
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
WD and Sway Control

Any sway control is better than no sway control.
The least expensive is the friction type (telescoping).
The most expensive and best in my opinion is the tow rite(I probally spelled that wrong) because it actually moves the pivot point close to the rear axle and there is no "Hensley Bump" if you dont have the brakes set aggressively enough.
Anyway I have the Reese Dual Cam Straight line (Old setup) and it serves me fine.
There are pictures of trailer rollovers in this forum and in the pictures posted I have yet to find a Sway control.
A weight distribution hitch has no sway control unless it is specifically designed into it (Reese Dual Cam Straight line, new and old, Equalizer etc).
After an experience I had with a Terry years ago I would not even consider towing above 35 MPH without sway control of some sort.
Beginner
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Don't count out the equal-i-zer brand WD hitch ... we have used their various models for over 30 years ... with great results on a variety from a 28' dual axle sailboat/trailer to our AS.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:

Thanks
Jerry
That trailer weighs 3500 lbs dry; the hitch weight is 530 lbs.
That truck is rated to pull 5000 lbs w/o a weight distributing hitch;
above that it is recommended, apparently.

I don't use a weight distributing hitch; I have gone to air lifts (Ride Rites) to allow me to tune the suspension ride angle depending on what other stuff I have in the truck. This provides a very nice quiet ride, and allows me to trim out any tendency towards porpoising on rough roads.

I've towed trailers for many years; some people are not comfortable trailering without some sort of anti-sway system. If you're accustomed to pulling trailers w/o such, you very likely won't find this combination scary.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...03_default.asp

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote