Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Hitch Question...

We will be picking up our new AS in about a week and a half. The question I have is how do we know if we bought a good hitch? We ordered one from the dealer in Tampa (bates), but failed to ask what name brand we ordered???!!! It's probably not to late to change but we would like to know if there is a big difference in hitches?!??!
Thanks,
Andi & Jim
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
search

I would suggest that you do a search of the threads. There are MANY of them for you to research. I am sure you will have fun looking at the many opinions.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
We will be picking up our new AS in about a week and a half. The question I have is how do we know if we bought a good hitch? We ordered one from the dealer in Tampa (bates), but failed to ask what name brand we ordered???!!! It's probably not to late to change but we would like to know if there is a big difference in hitches?!??!
Thanks,
Andi & Jim
Hitch ratings match the trailer to the tow vehicle.

Different brand load equalizing hitches do different things.

There are a couple of brands that cost a little less than $3000.00, yes three thousand.

There are brands that claim things in advertising their products do, but don't.

One of the most highly respected brands is Reese. They have been around for nearly a half century.

I would suggest a Reese dual cam 750 pound hitch for your setup.

Sometimes, dealers provide a hitch, that costs them very little.

It would be a good idea to ask what exact hitch the dealer plans on outfitting your rig with.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mystery hitch?

Hi, I knew what hitch I was getting with my trailer long before delivery; Then I read all of the information about the hitch that I could find. I even got a video for the hitch. If I were you, I would at least call the dealer and find out what you are getting. Especially if you are paying for it. [mine was free]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
unless you specify something different you will be getting an equalizer, it is a good hitch just make sure bates sets it up correct.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not only the trailer, but the tow vehicle you will be using has a lot to do with which hitch would be best for you. At a minimum, it is of utmost importance for the hitch to be adjusted correctly. You could have the best hitch built, but if it's not adjusted properly, it simply won't work well.

Andy in his post above has recommended the Reese Dual Cam, and it is a very good hitch. The problem is, it is by far the most difficult hitch on the market to adjust. So, if you end up with a RDC, make certain you understand how it adjusts, and make sure that it is adjusted properly, or the sway control feature of the hitch just does not work well.

Here is a set-up procedure that I came up with after struggeling with the Reese Dual Cam for a year that works well: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html

And about your question, "if there is a big difference in hitches?!??!", I say absolutely. Do yourself a favor and take a look at this website, and take the time to watch the video: http://www.propridehitch.com/
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
If in fact you bought your AS from the dealer, why aren't you letting them equip your TV, matching it with the AS. This should be their expertise.

When I bought my AS the dealer set me up, good to go, very happy because it was done by professionals that do it all the time!

Good Luck,

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We tow with a Hensley Arrow. We have towed our 25FB over 50,000 miles in the last three years. We have not had a single anxious moment while towing with this hitch system. There is no sway under any circumstances, regardless of the traffic or wind conditions.

The Hensley and the Propride hitch systems are quite expensive compared to the other systems out there, but they work, period.

I paid a bunch of money for my Airstream, and feel that it is worth the very best hitch system. I also enjoy traveling without any "white knuckle" driving incidents.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
unless you specify something different you will be getting an equalizer, it is a good hitch just make sure bates sets it up correct.
Bates RV will set you up with an Equalizer. Did you discuss tow vehicle, brake controller, etc with them at the time of purchase? Have them set the whole thing up for you; including exactly how to hookup / unhook the trailer and tow vehicle. Go through the sequence several times. There is a specific way to go about it.

eleighj
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
If in fact you bought your AS from the dealer, why aren't you letting them equip your TV, matching it with the AS. This should be their expertise.

When I bought my AS the dealer set me up, good to go, very happy because it was done by professionals that do it all the time!

Good Luck,

Bill

Hi Bill,
Notice that you said it SHOULD be their area of expertise .
Unfortunately my experience is that, more often than not, at least partially, that is not the case. It varies greatly from dealer to dealer with all brands of travel trailers. Dealers have all kinds of goals that are different than customers'. I am glad that you had a good experience, but just searching this forum will demonstrate that is not always the case. There is no substitute for thoroughly researching hitches before you make a decision or allow someone else to make one for you. Not that one should totally ignore a dealer's recommendation, but keep it in perspective.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Ken,

Comment well taken. I did my research on my dealer in CT (RV Legends).

Very reputable and experienced, have a good rapport with the mechanic. He spent a considerable amount of time with us going over all the details, front to back including hitching up. After buying in September we hooked up and brought Our AS to FL 1400 miles, pulled like a dream and I am a newby trailer puller.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Ditto on the Hensley recommendation by Moosetags....you spent a great deal on your new Airstream, get the best hitch, you will never be sorry.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Thanks for all the replies....we plan on picking up our new addition to the family (yet to be named!) on the 15th..can't wait!!! You've all given us lots to ponder and many questions to ask/research, etc. Great forum...thanks again.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just another 'brand' to toss at you...

We now use an Equal-izer brand WD hitch - one of the easiest to set up initially, IMHO, and it's THE easiest to hook and unhook during actual use...

Those hitches costing in the thousands do a good job, but everyone I've seen using them have trouble when they go to hook up each time - I'd sure find someone that uses one and ask questions before I went out and dropped all that 'coin' on something that's got to be hooked-unhooked all the time...Just my 2 cent's worth of 'coin'...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post

We now use an Equal-izer brand WD hitch - one of the easiest to set up initially, IMHO, and it's THE easiest to hook and unhook during actual use...

Those hitches costing in the thousands do a good job, but everyone I've seen using them have trouble when they go to hook up each time - I'd sure find someone that uses one and ask questions before I went out and dropped all that 'coin' on something that's got to be hooked-unhooked all the time...Just my 2 cent's worth of 'coin'...
I'll agree with Mexray that the Equal-izer hitch is THE easiest of the standard WD hitches to hook up, and adjust, but has a tendancy to ride rough.

The ProPride hitch that I now have is the second generation of pivot point projection hitch designed by Hensley, uses round bars and rides smooth, and because of the second generation design of the draw bar taper, is very easy to hook up, and even easier to unhook. You don't even have to remove and store the WD bars...they stay on the hitch.

I've been using weight distribution hitches since '76, of various different designs and manufacturers, and I can testify the ProPride is the best riding, easiest to use, with absolutely the best sway elimination, hitch I have ever used. To me, my rig, my family, and my relaxation while towing are easily worth the price.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome aboard...

We tow with the Hensley, couldn't be more pleased. Have used Reese in the past with good results.

Did you ever find out the brand the dealer is installing?

Spend your first night.... camping on the dealers lot...reading the manual, ask a lot of questions insist on a complete orientation.

Stream Safe.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Three main hitches that I would recommend for your AS in preference order: (1) Pro-Pride, (2) Equalizer, and (3) Reese. This also represents price---highest (Pro-Pride at $2,500; Equalizer at around $1,400; and Reese at around $800. The very best and most safe would be Pro-Pride; however, the other two are good. If you plan on traveling often---in windy conditons, on interstates and freeways----the Pro-Pride is excellent becasue you will have no sway at all and great control. I currently have a Hensley Arrow ($3,000); however, bought it before Jim Hensley left Hensley Mfg and made a new design---used in the Pro-Pride. I certaintly would purchase the Pro-Pride over the Hensley Arrow today. Let us know what your dealer recommended---he certaintly should have discussed and gone over the possibilities with you when you ordered the AS !
eharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Price check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharv View Post
Three main hitches that I would recommend for your AS in preference order: (1) Pro-Pride, (2) Equalizer, and (3) Reese. This also represents price---highest (Pro-Pride at $2,500; Equalizer at around $1,400; and Reese at around $800. The very best and most safe would be Pro-Pride; however, the other two are good. If you plan on traveling often---in windy conditons, on interstates and freeways----the Pro-Pride is excellent becasue you will have no sway at all and great control. I currently have a Hensley Arrow ($3,000); however, bought it before Jim Hensley left Hensley Mfg and made a new design---used in the Pro-Pride. I certaintly would purchase the Pro-Pride over the Hensley Arrow today. Let us know what your dealer recommended---he certaintly should have discussed and gone over the possibilities with you when you ordered the AS !
Hi, right now on the Equal-i-zer sight the 1,000 / 10,000 lb hitch sells for $750.00 and the 1,200 / 12,000 lb hitch sells for $770.00 [$1400.00?]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, right now on the Equal-i-zer sight the 1,000 / 10,000 lb hitch sells for $750.00 and the 1,200 / 12,000 lb hitch sells for $770.00 [$1400.00?]
Nailed it Robert...I think the PP & haha was out the door price, and EQ price was a dartboard quess-ta-mate with subjective labor + opinion.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post

That has not been my experience at all. I towed for several years with an equalizer and now use a ProPride. Once installed, the ProPride hitches up more quickly and with much less mess. If you keep the Equal-i-zer's friction surfaces lubricated as recommended in the manual, you're bound to get grease on something when hooking and unhooking. After unhooking at a camping site, you have to find somewhere to store the dirty bars, where there is no chance of someone stealing them and also make sure you don't loose any of the assorted hardware that hold the bars into position. Not to mention that you had to undo those four pins and the four pins that hold in those pins.
To hook up the ProPride, all I do is position the main unit according to which direction the truck is backing in, then back the truck until the hitch engages. The flared shape of the opening in the main unit adjusts for any slight misalignment. Then I latch two OCL latches and insert the keeper pins, hook up the safety chains and electric cord, raise the tongue jack and raise the WD jacks. It takes less than half the time and 10% of the dirt as the Equal-i-zer did.
The ride with the ProPride is significantly better. I attribute that to the tapered round bars that will flex. The square bars on the Equal-i-zer will basically not flex.
With the ProPride, I can set the weight distribution to the proper point without concern for the sway control. The four point friction control that the Equal-i-zer uses depends on the force developed by the weight distribution to provide the friction necessary for sway control. If you need less weight distribution, you will get less sway control.
In addition to all of this, I have noticed no sway at all with the ProPride. With the Equal-i-zer, I use to feel almost every truck that went by.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote