Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Just another 'brand' to toss at you...

We now use an Equal-izer brand WD hitch - one of the easiest to set up initially, IMHO, and it's THE easiest to hook and unhook during actual use...

Those hitches costing in the thousands do a good job, but everyone I've seen using them have trouble when they go to hook up each time - I'd sure find someone that uses one and ask questions before I went out and dropped all that 'coin' on something that's got to be hooked-unhooked all the time...Just my 2 cent's worth of 'coin'...
I'll agree with Mexray that the Equal-izer hitch is THE easiest of the standard WD hitches to hook up, and adjust, but has a tendancy to ride rough.

The ProPride hitch that I now have is the second generation of pivot point projection hitch designed by Hensley, uses round bars and rides smooth, and because of the second generation design of the draw bar taper, is very easy to hook up, and even easier to unhook. You don't even have to remove and store the WD bars...they stay on the hitch.

I've been using weight distribution hitches since '76, of various different designs and manufacturers, and I can testify the ProPride is the best riding, easiest to use, with absolutely the best sway elimination, hitch I have ever used. To me, my rig, my family, and my relaxation while towing are easily worth the price.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome aboard...

We tow with the Hensley, couldn't be more pleased. Have used Reese in the past with good results.

Did you ever find out the brand the dealer is installing?

Spend your first night.... camping on the dealers lot...reading the manual, ask a lot of questions insist on a complete orientation.

Stream Safe.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Three main hitches that I would recommend for your AS in preference order: (1) Pro-Pride, (2) Equalizer, and (3) Reese. This also represents price---highest (Pro-Pride at $2,500; Equalizer at around $1,400; and Reese at around $800. The very best and most safe would be Pro-Pride; however, the other two are good. If you plan on traveling often---in windy conditons, on interstates and freeways----the Pro-Pride is excellent becasue you will have no sway at all and great control. I currently have a Hensley Arrow ($3,000); however, bought it before Jim Hensley left Hensley Mfg and made a new design---used in the Pro-Pride. I certaintly would purchase the Pro-Pride over the Hensley Arrow today. Let us know what your dealer recommended---he certaintly should have discussed and gone over the possibilities with you when you ordered the AS !
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Price check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharv View Post
Three main hitches that I would recommend for your AS in preference order: (1) Pro-Pride, (2) Equalizer, and (3) Reese. This also represents price---highest (Pro-Pride at $2,500; Equalizer at around $1,400; and Reese at around $800. The very best and most safe would be Pro-Pride; however, the other two are good. If you plan on traveling often---in windy conditons, on interstates and freeways----the Pro-Pride is excellent becasue you will have no sway at all and great control. I currently have a Hensley Arrow ($3,000); however, bought it before Jim Hensley left Hensley Mfg and made a new design---used in the Pro-Pride. I certaintly would purchase the Pro-Pride over the Hensley Arrow today. Let us know what your dealer recommended---he certaintly should have discussed and gone over the possibilities with you when you ordered the AS !
Hi, right now on the Equal-i-zer sight the 1,000 / 10,000 lb hitch sells for $750.00 and the 1,200 / 12,000 lb hitch sells for $770.00 [$1400.00?]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, right now on the Equal-i-zer sight the 1,000 / 10,000 lb hitch sells for $750.00 and the 1,200 / 12,000 lb hitch sells for $770.00 [$1400.00?]
Nailed it Robert...I think the PP & haha was out the door price, and EQ price was a dartboard quess-ta-mate with subjective labor + opinion.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Just another 'brand' to toss at you...

We now use an Equal-izer brand WD hitch - one of the easiest to set up initially, IMHO, and it's THE easiest to hook and unhook during actual use...

Those hitches costing in the thousands do a good job, but everyone I've seen using them have trouble when they go to hook up each time - I'd sure find someone that uses one and ask questions before I went out and dropped all that 'coin' on something that's got to be hooked-unhooked all the time...Just my 2 cent's worth of 'coin'...
That has not been my experience at all. I towed for several years with an equalizer and now use a ProPride. Once installed, the ProPride hitches up more quickly and with much less mess. If you keep the Equal-i-zer's friction surfaces lubricated as recommended in the manual, you're bound to get grease on something when hooking and unhooking. After unhooking at a camping site, you have to find somewhere to store the dirty bars, where there is no chance of someone stealing them and also make sure you don't loose any of the assorted hardware that hold the bars into position. Not to mention that you had to undo those four pins and the four pins that hold in those pins.
To hook up the ProPride, all I do is position the main unit according to which direction the truck is backing in, then back the truck until the hitch engages. The flared shape of the opening in the main unit adjusts for any slight misalignment. Then I latch two OCL latches and insert the keeper pins, hook up the safety chains and electric cord, raise the tongue jack and raise the WD jacks. It takes less than half the time and 10% of the dirt as the Equal-i-zer did.
The ride with the ProPride is significantly better. I attribute that to the tapered round bars that will flex. The square bars on the Equal-i-zer will basically not flex.
With the ProPride, I can set the weight distribution to the proper point without concern for the sway control. The four point friction control that the Equal-i-zer uses depends on the force developed by the weight distribution to provide the friction necessary for sway control. If you need less weight distribution, you will get less sway control.
In addition to all of this, I have noticed no sway at all with the ProPride. With the Equal-i-zer, I use to feel almost every truck that went by.

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
This is true, but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That has not been my experience at all. I towed for several years with an equalizer and now use a ProPride. Once installed, the ProPride hitches up more quickly and with much less mess. If you keep the Equal-i-zer's friction surfaces lubricated as recommended in the manual, you're bound to get grease on something when hooking and unhooking. After unhooking at a camping site, you have to find somewhere to store the dirty bars, where there is no chance of someone stealing them and also make sure you don't loose any of the assorted hardware that hold the bars into position. Not to mention that you had to undo those four pins and the four pins that hold in those pins.
To hook up the ProPride, all I do is position the main unit according to which direction the truck is backing in, then back the truck until the hitch engages. The flared shape of the opening in the main unit adjusts for any slight misalignment. Then I latch two OCL latches and insert the keeper pins, hook up the safety chains and electric cord, raise the tongue jack and raise the WD jacks. It takes less than half the time and 10% of the dirt as the Equal-i-zer did.
The ride with the ProPride is significantly better. I attribute that to the tapered round bars that will flex. The square bars on the Equal-i-zer will basically not flex.
With the ProPride, I can set the weight distribution to the proper point without concern for the sway control. The four point friction control that the Equal-i-zer uses depends on the force developed by the weight distribution to provide the friction necessary for sway control. If you need less weight distribution, you will get less sway control.
In addition to all of this, I have noticed no sway at all with the ProPride. With the Equal-i-zer, I use to feel almost every truck that went by.

Regards,
Ken
Hi, Ken. I do not use grease on my spring bars [in the manual, lubing the spring bars is optional] and just recently bought and used the plastic "L" bracket pads. I made a place in my storage compartment to store my springbars and a plastic box for little things includeing my pins. I don't get, and never had any sway issues. With my Lincoln, w/rear air suspension, I get a nice soft ride. No grease for me.

For those who use grease on their spring bars, you are correct. With less tension on the spring bars, there will be less friction, you are correct. The new P P does look to have a better system for hitching and unhitching than the orange model. My Equal-i-zer is also easy to use. Use of a HA HA or P P on my set-up would put me over the maximum tongue weight allowed by my hitch [receiver] specifications and vehicle specifications. In the picture you can see the channel I built for storing my spring bars and I now have two of those little plastic boxes so my pins and a few other little things aren't loose like in this picture.

I'm glad you are as happy with your pro-pride as I am with my Equal-i-zer. Hope to meet you at a rally or campground some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300 (Large).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	95599  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Like Robert, I don't lube the joints on our Equal-i-zer, and as we use a SS Quickbite coupler, I don't even have to lube the hitch ball! Grease is NOT a problem with our set-up...

Square bars VS round bars don't seem to be an issue to me - both are made of spring steel material, and both flex according to their weight rating - the shape of the bars doesn't really enter into the equation, IMHO...

When unhitching, I don't remove the spring bars from the front sockets on the hitch - I just jack the tongue up to take the weight off the trailer mounted 'L' brackets, pull out the pin lock, move the spring bars away from the trailer frame and drop the locking bars and pins right back into the 'L' brackets - no lost parts - they are right there when I hook back up again...

After moving the TV forward, it's a quick minute to remove the complete Equal-i-zer from the square tube and prop it against the trailer tongue - using a heavy cable lock if we're going to be away from camp for awhile...

This whole unhooking process probably doesn't take more than two minutes - reattaching the hitch is equally as quick...

This set-up with our heavy Ford Excursion TV works great with the Equal-i-zer, and I have yet to experience any sway problems while driving with cross winds and on two lane roads with passing semi trucks - no 'wobbles' are noticeable - I credit our TV for much of our stable towing experiences, and as such don't see the need for a much more expensive (and heavier) WD hitch...

I haven't used one of those big buck WD hitches, so can't compare their performance as some above have mentioned - and from all comments they work great...I'd advise anyone new to the 'WD Hitch' world to seek out what appeals to them and perhaps ask a fellow who uses one for their experiences...HEY, wait a minute - thats what this great forum is all about - ask and you will usually get more 'experiences' than you ever counted on!

Ray
Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
No BS....it only took about six hitch-ups to find a workable procedure with the haha, most times helper not needed.

If your safe and happy with what your using, ....you got the perfect setup.

RLC

RLC
Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If your safe and happy with what your using, ....you got the perfect setup.
Perfect....I love it.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We do typically put small amount of grease on the L-brackets on our Equal-i-zer but this doesn't mean we get grease on anything else.

We store the load bars on the hitch, on the trailer. We DO NOT drive solo with the hitch head (and bars) sticking out the back of the truck, we leave the hitch on the front of the trailer. This, by the way, is law in at least Saskatchewan where they only permit max of 9" protrusion beyond the bumper: "When not in use, the trailer hitch shall not extend the bumper of the vehicle more than 244mm or 9in." (reference).

We also use the Quick-Bite coupler with SS jaws, and we maintain a light coating of grease on the ball. At least once over the past two years when we allowed the ball to get a little dry we saw some gouging on that ball. Lots of pressure and friction, steel to steel -- we like keeping the ball lightly greased.

Chasing 75 Degrees,
Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Jim, you may have misunderstood my description about unhooking - we don't leave the EQ attached to the TV - the whole hitch is removed from the TV's hitch mount, with the bars still attached, and then stowed next to the trailer tongue with a locking cable...I guess we could reattach the EQ's hitch ball back into the trailer coupler for storage, just never thought to do it that way - it would be a good way to 'lock' up the hitch, though...

Also, Quick Bite told me that if you use a SS hitch ball, you don't need any grease as the SS ball and the SS QB jaws would be compatible...trouble is, that I haven't found any 2-5/16 SS hitch balls on the market...so I use a chrome ball and some silicone lube spray - no galling of the hitch ball to date...

Ray
Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #27
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Ray,
The only time my wd bars come out of the hitch head is if I'm gonna tighten the hitch ball nut. I remove the wd bars to lighten the hitch head, every seventh or eighth towing day, as I remove it and reinsert it with the ball pointing to curbside and the threads and nut pointing to streetside. That way I can stand on the pipe and breaker bar, pushing the nut to >400 ft lbs.

Otherwise the bars and hitchhead stay in the coupler all the time except when we're rehitching. Then, if I can't do a HAHA thread the needle and get the drawbar into the receiver while backing, I just get the receiver 18" from the drawbar and Debbie and I move the hitchhead to the receiver. Just takes a second and, as you know, I can back up another foot and a half and hear the clank as the ball bottoms out in the back of the QuickBite coupler, closes the jaws around the ball, and releases the bail to lock the coupler closed. Sweet!

No problems, I agree with everything you said. I think someone else mentioned the likelihood of getting grease on ourselves. Only opportunity for getting greased is when we're moving the hitchhead to the receiver. We know where the greasy points are (ball, and each end of the wd bars -- that's all) and pretty well avoid them.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote