Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Hitch Problem

We have a 2017 16' Sport and it's becoming more and more difficult the get the hitch ball to come out of the coupler once it's unlatched. The hitch is an Equalizer load distribution and even with the tounge jack jacking up the TV the ball will not come out easily. Took half an hour of rocking back and forth to get the ball to drop.
Any suggestions?
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
We have a 2017 16' Sport and it's becoming more and more difficult the get the hitch ball to come out of the coupler once it's unlatched. The hitch is an Equalizer load distribution and even with the tounge jack jacking up the TV the ball will not come out easily. Took half an hour of rocking back and forth to get the ball to drop.
Any suggestions?

Is the pocket the ball rides in lubricated? I ended up lubricating everything in that area and working the latching mechanism until it all operated smooth as silk. Before that it was rust-crusty sticky.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
I've been discussing the issue with etrailer and I think the problem is the where the trailer is parked. Trailer is on a 6% slope while TV is on little more of a slope. I thought I had everything greased well enough but will add more next time out. And I'll make sure the TV is pulled forward as much as possible to center the ball on the coupler.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
center the ball on the coupler.
Thanks
As you posted, center the ball and just add a little grease regularly and that should be all it takes.

If you can get your hands on a spare ball and insert it with the coupler open and centered it falls right out, now push ball forward or backwards into the coupler, ball has to move back to center then it drops out.

A TV with an automatic transmission frequently moves front to back after you put it in park and release the brake if it's on any slope. Trailer is chocked and there you have it, a load is on the ball as you have figured out.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Park the tow vehicle and trailer in a flat area. If the ball can be removed from the hitch easily, you just solved your problem. It is your parking spot at home and the steep angle.

Once it is detached, you had better be prepared for the trailer to want to roll down hill. You will need more than chocks if the trailer decides to go someone on its own.

Grease the ball and socket. It works on a human's hip, it works just as well on an artificial hip with nylon and steel.

If everything else fails, Post #4 should resolve most other issues.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If there is any tension between the coupler and the ball, it won't couple or uncouple. On mine, if I raise the AS and the ball doesn't release, I drop it back down and try putting the TV in Drive or Reverse, then setting the parking brake to keep it from rolling. Make sure the AS wheels are securely chocked to prevent it from rolling, even a little. You want zero tension between the coupler and ball.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Yes.
I put on a show for other campers on what doesn't work. Swearing, rocking the bumper, standing on the bars, lifting the jack, even pulling the hitch pin and leaving the truck in neutral.
What does work is to get a tube of 'white lithium grease' when it's apart, and before every trip put a dab on the hitch ball. (I didn't like the spray kind.)
Now it comes out like butter.
Also buy a hitch ball cover and keep it on so everything doesn't get grease on it, like your pant legs, gloves, tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white-lithium-grease-lucas-oil-8-oz-226-gram-squeeze-tube.jpg.png
Views:	62
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	349906  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
It is also prudent, even after chocking tires, to keep the safety chains on while uncoupling. Just in case the trailer wants to take a ride by itself.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes.
I put on a show for other campers on what doesn't work. Swearing, rocking the bumper, standing on the bars, lifting the jack, even pulling the hitch pin and leaving the truck in neutral.
What does work is to get a tube of 'white lithium grease' when it's apart, and before every trip put a dab on the hitch ball. (I didn't like the spray kind.)
Now it comes out like butter.
Also buy a hitch ball cover and keep it on so everything doesn't get grease on it, like your pant legs, gloves, tools.
Or Reese Hitch Ball Lube

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I am not familiar with the hitch on a 16' airstream. I am more familiar with the hitch on my boat trailers of that size. If this is a new problem. Check the latch paw that closes on the ball when the latch is closed. If like the boats there is a spring and nut that is too tight.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
As an update, greased the hell out of the ball and coupler. Then went on a week long trip. Got back home and disconnected without issues. Thanks for the advice everyone.