Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We added a front hitch several years ago on our X, more for additional carrying power as opposed to manuevering. Either way, it was very useful. On the X, we had to forego the fog lights in order to install the front hitch, but that was not a big sacrifice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183 (Small).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	96684  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Brad,

Are there any problems with overheating on long grades? It would seem that with that large generator blocking the radiator there might be a concern.
Looks like a good solution otherwise for additional carrying capacity.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We never had a problem; temperature gauge never raised, and we (in this case) had traveled thousands of miles (to/from Big Bend NP in TX). Similarly, we did the same thing to/from ATL to Death Valley - zero issues. Not saying it is right for everyone, but it worked great for us.

We did not always travel with a generator - just a picture by way of example. We also traveled with bikes on the front, which was great - and BTW did not block our visibility.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
A front hitch on the front of my pickup was a breeze....with the tent trailer we had a while ago. It works great now for my utility traile, I can turn the trailer on a dime. BUT for one the front hitch isn't beefy enough for our Trade Wind. I might have a receiver installed. I am concerned tho about visablity.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Brad,

Sounds good. Im sure you kept an eye on it. One thing to consider. With todays vehicles you dont always get the right information regarding engine temp. Often the manufactures dampen the readings so it doesnt alarm the driver (kinda defeats the purpose of the guages).
For example pulling a hard grade and then taking an offramp. The temp on an older car would climb as the waterpump is now turning slower and less airflow is passing the radiator. This is just a normal scenero of when the guage would climb. Because this is so alarming they now stick the guage at half and let it all work itself out with auxilary cooling fans ect..

I would just keep the air conditioning off when climbing grades if I had that generator upfront and it should be ok. Thats a heavy trailer!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
A front hitch on the front of my pickup was a breeze....with the tent trailer we had a while ago. It works great now for my utility traile, I can turn the trailer on a dime. BUT for one the front hitch isn't beefy enough for our Trade Wind. I might have a receiver installed. I am concerned tho about visablity.
Neil.
BTW a while ago I noticed a receiver hitch mounted to the right side of the front of a pickup. This would allow the driver to 'see' down the right side of his trailer. Of course this would add width to the trailer truck combo but if one 'knows' his/her trailer parking place this may be an idea worth considering.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I also installed a front hitch receiver on our Excursion, similar to Brad's photo above, and as he mentioned, you have to give up the fog lights (or do some mod's to move their mounting position)...

I use a ball hitch mount that keeps our AS level when hooked to the front hitch - It works great, but takes some forethought when in tight quarters due to the 'steering' wheels being close to the tongue...

Also using the front hitch to mount a 'tray' to carry extra stuff comes in handy - I've stacked our firewood on the tray when camping, an easy way to transport and store extra stuff...

Ray
Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I have a neighbor who had a front hitch on his F250. It worked very well. What he said it was especially good for was to manuver the trailer into a tight turn. He said that was also the problem with it. When you make a turn or a correction with it, things happen fast. Meaning that the trailer will be much more responsive to your turns. In your case, I would tell you to be more careful than you are now because of the close clearances.
Good Luck
Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #23
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I added a front hitch to our F250 crew cab; it has allowed me to snake trailers into all sorts of tricky spots. It is much easier to maneuver and it makes much sharper turns. It's also ideal for carrying bicycles, although there is an annoying amount of light scatter at night.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

I also find a front hitch to greatly aid backing (fronting?) into tight spots with a trailer on my F250.

I always have a spotter on the blind (right) side with a radio, and hold an old towing mirror with an extension in my left hand to see on the left side.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
What about something like this -- there are several different manufacturers

Powrhitch Trailer Mover
Nice but pricey. My bud Jim has one, it works.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Every Picture....

shoulda just posted pictures in the first place

here's a shot from near where I start backing into the drive...the marks are approximately where I have to put my 2 2x12's for each wheel...if the car in the foreground is there when I need to park I have to ask my neighbor to move it for me, and then I'm still backing the truck up onto the curb on that side of the street..

Name:	driveway-5983.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	96741

the next shot shows angle of the drive to street...not THAT extreme but I own a '69 (good axle btw) that is not known for massive bottom rear-end clearance:

Name:	driveway-5984.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	96742

next shot is looking straight into the parking spot from neighbor's house across the street:

Name:	driveway-5985.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	96743

challenges of the Urban Airstreamer!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I is one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post
... If you know any boaters who could comment they could be a resource.
I use a front-mounted hitch to park my boat every time it returns to its perpendicular-to-the-driveway, garage bay.

A spotter is not needed because the tandem axle trailer's tire scuff the concrete while making the 90 degree turn during departure, and provide an excellent 'trail of crumbs' to follow during re-parking.

Markdoane had an excellent observation about tongue weight obviating rear wheel traction. If I were to park my Airstream with a front-mounted hitch, I would consider hooking up the weight distribution bars. Doing so would force the tongue's weight to the rear wheels.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #28
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We were urban owners until we sold the house two years ago. Campgrounds say, "We have pull-throughs if you'd rather", and I tell them, "Nah, I like to stay in practice". But I didn't think I'd figure out our old driveway.

Had a few inches clearance on one side at the brick columns abutting the side of the driveway, and neighbors fence corner and lawn on the other. As soon as the back wheel was clearing my porch I had to start an ess turn to kick the trailer over twelve feet and then straight again to clear the side of the garage.

Could not do this at all well in the dark. Tried once, heard a scraping noise. Got out, it was the acorn nut on the awning arm. Tough to get away from when you're already on an obstruction. Just couldn't get the needed sight picture to back this without daylight.

Key thing was, view/vision was everything. When I could see, I could maneuver it successfully -- sometimes not in one move, but every now and then I got lucky. But always got it in. Deb watched the blind side (which changed with the ess turn).

While I like the idea of a front receiver for very sharp short turning and multi-purpose use, I don't think you can replace both the view and the control of smooth maneuvering from backing your trailer in.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote