Old 07-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Exclamation Hitch maintenance reminder...

Just a reminder that hitches need maintenance too...

After I returned from our weekend trip with the trailer, I noticed that the paint on the tongue was chipped and worn where the Reece cam bars bolt on with the U-bolts. Apparently, there was movement occuring.

I checked closer and found that the U-bolts had come loose and were moving on the tongue with trailer movement. I re-positioned them properly and re-torqued the nuts.

Is there any other maintenance that Reece cam-loc hitches require other than lubrication and checking the torque on the nuts etc.?

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The main thing is regular inspection. Good catch on the flaking paint.

The ball mount chould be checked for any cracking before each trip around the ball, bolts that hold head to drop bar should be checked too.

The one thing that many owners do not check is the receiver on the vehicle. Throw a sheet on th ground and slide uner that tow vehicle. Check for loose bolts, and CLOSELY check welds on the receiver itself. We did a hitch check at a rally last fall and found a less than year old receiver that had been used less than six times had a cracked weld. It only takes a little time but can save you, your trailer and tow vehicle.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 08:39 PM   #3
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the only thing between you and your trailer

check the ball!

i have had one loosen up on me... as with lug nuts, any sign of rust around the base means it is loose.

i now view the ball as a consumable item, if it loosens up or shows any sign of wear replace it!

usually they are less than 25 bucks, cheap insurance!

tip: a good way to tighten the ball is to insert your hitch sideways in the reciever. then you can stand on the wrench to get it tight.

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I'll second the idea for at least a seasonal nuts and bolts tightness check on all hitch parts and the receiver inspection. But tools can be a problem not to mention crawling around on the ground and trying to get up again <g>!

The problem with 2 5/16 hitch balls with 1 1/4 shanks is that you need a 1 7/8 socket which is usually a 3/4 drive. Then you need 450 ft lb of torque. This can be fun. Sideways for standing on the wrench is a good method if you have the wrench. Just be careful not to slip or fall.

The other ball mount nuts and bolts are handled with a half inch drive set that can be had for about the cost (at Harbor Freight) of a 1 7/8 socket at a Tru Value Hardware.

When you get to the spring bar brackets and stuff, a standard 3/8 drive set is usually sufficient.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote