Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
OK, having watch The Long Long Trailer this weekend I'm now an expert on this subject

First off it is a weight distributing device. It adds a weight bearing point and therefore reduces the load on the rear of the TV. It's really hard to say what effect it has other than decreasing tongue weight on the TV or what the load distribution would look like. I'm going to guess that the load on the HH is about that of the rated tongue wait for the trailer.

As for sway control it adds another contact point with the road between the TV and trailer. This is going to resist the side to side movement of the trailer. That's basicly what the friction sway controllers do is it not?

I'm certainly not going to sell my Reese and buy one. Totally impractical for the "offroad" conditions that I tow in. As to why the technology was abandon I think it's because adaquate tow vehicles became widely available. I the 50's only farmers and cowboys drove pickup trucks (OK, a few fringe hot rodders ). They were crude work vehicles. I think the hassles with the HH concept that have been mentioned combined with the better options for tow vehicles and the advent of the WD hitch systems just made it obsolete.

I see the product serving only a niche market. Temporary use until an adaquate TV can be aquired might be one but I think the big interest might be from people that want to use a vintage TV for show & shine runs.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello bhayden , you also noticed in the movie how incredibly long that
trailer was ,I don't know a Wd setup that could handle that tongue
weight ,would be extremely heavy ,that dolly would be a necessity .
The old airfloat trailers also used a dolly wheel and the large coaches were
also huge .a few rare 30 ft single axle airstreams 1958 to 1960 I think
also would have quite abit of tongue weight .I think there is a photo
in the airstream photos section of one ,looks extra long with a single axle.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #43
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
hello bhayden , you also noticed in the movie how incredibly long that trailer was ,I don't know a Wd setup that could handle that tongue weight ,would be extremely heavy ,that dolly would be a necessity .

Scott
Don't forget the rocks that Lucy threw in the trailer as well!

While the concept of the hitch has merit, I do not see it working for me. Trips down forest roads and other rough areas would not work well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Due to the physics of conventional trailer towing, trailer sway is unavoidable; it’s commonly referred to as the “tail-wagging-the-dog” syndrome. "RV View
Thursday May 22, 2003".

That pivot point between the truck axle and the trailer axles creates trailer sway - it's simply a fact. PullRite Documentation

Any distance from the pivot point between the truck rear axle and the point where the trailer pivots at the hitch creates sway - the greater the distance - the worse the sway (for example, vehicles with more overhang behind the rear axle have increased sway - even long wheel based vehicles like Suburbans and extended vans.
Reducing the distance between the tow vehicle rear axle and the hitch pivot point reduces sway. Hitch designs that eliminate the distance, eliminate trailer sway.

Sway occurs in every conventional trailer system because of the joint between the trailer and tow vehicle. This joint allows the trailer to pivot in an uncontrolled manner. Because of this pivot, it is possible to start a rhythmic oscillation between the trailer and the tow vehicle. The only way to eliminate this sway is to make the vehicle combination "think" and "act" like a straight unit, a straight truck if you will. If you can limit this unwanted oscillation, sway will be minimized, or in the case of the Hensley Arrow sway problems will be completely eliminated. "Hensley Arrow Documentation"

As a flexible joint still exists between the tow vehicle and the trailer, I suspect that sway is not eliminated by this hitch. I know that I would not trust this with my trailer. I am not saying anybody else is wrong to use this. I just won't.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #45
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I'm not sure I want to "take the word of another hitch-maker" about the feasibility of the Hitch-Helper. I suspect there could be some lateral stabilizing effect from the dual tires on the hitch. However, I readily admit that I have zero experience with the Hitch-Helper. It seems to me that short of a well designed study by an independent, knowledgeable, scientific organization, the best information will come from those willing to try these things and report back real world experience, I applaud them for their efforts and willingness to share!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I don't think it's quite so simple as eliminating overhang from the hitch point to the rear axle. If that was the overriding factor my old '72 Bronco would have been a wonderful tow vehicle. In fact it is one of the worst ever! A trailer can still sway back and forth with a 5th wheel; you just don't have the moment arm of the overhand making it worse. Tow vehicle and trailer stability (ability to track in a straight line) are what eliminates sway. The danger occurs when the back and forth motion becomes addative, like pumping a swing, and you quickly reach an uncontrolable situation. The key to preventing sway is a vehicle and trailer that track straight. That's what a WD hitch does by compensating for the unloading of the front axle which causes the TV to want to wander. A friction "anti-sway" bar stiffens the connection and helps the trailer to track straight but is still more of a bandaid to dampen any ocilation that starts.

There's a number of designs that improve towing based on different principles. How well one works over another is largely a matter of what the greatest problem is. If it's an excessive amount of overhang, like say a Class C MH then a Pull-Right might be the best answer. If, like Lucy the TV is massively overloaded by the tongue wieght then a HH type device might be what's needed. For most people the single biggest factor is simply WD to get the suspension of the TV back to where it's balanced.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #47
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hello Again

We have now seen "The Long, Long Trailer at least a few times and we think it is an excellent work which all beginners like us should see. We have even loaned it to a couple of our friends who are curious about RVing. Here are to be found terms like "elevation" and "stabalize" among many others which are explained to us amid first rate entertainment. We laugh at Lucy's attempt to prepare a meal but in the end can really appreciate the fact that no one should be in a moving TT. and the demonstrations go on and on. Thank you for mentioning this movie to us.

Those who followed this post to it abrupt pause learned that the Hitch Helper which we tested in the hills of PA was prone to certain up and down movement in the area of the ball whenever uneven road surfaces were encountered. These were both uncomfortable and unacceptable and so we went into research mode to find an air hitch.

Neither of the major players had an air hitch that could fit between the two wheels of the HH but further investigation led us to the Shocker Hitch which we have united with the HH and hope to put these two devices through their paces during the next two weeks in Canada. We leave in the AM.

Please stay tuned. We'll have more to say upon our return somewhere around September 5 th.

By the way, if you encounter two adults and an eleven year boy travelling on 10 wheels somewhere between New York and Montreal, we'd love to meet fellow Streamers......and you already know our real names.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #48
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hello Everyone

We are back from our Quebec City, Montreal, Attawa, Barrie and Toronto trip and loved every minute. Canada is a lovely country to visit and we'll be back.

The shocker air hitch could not be mated with the Hitch Helper and without some sort of dampening air device the imperfections of the road were all transferred to us riders.

Well its back to the drawing board for now.

Sharon and Winston
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #49
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercamper
Well its back to the drawing board for now.
Sharon and Winston
hi silvercamper...

sorry to read it didn't work out...

do you still have the hensley?

what you really need is another haha owner nearby
who can help you learn how to hitch/unhitch with it....

the haha functions amazingly well, but there is a learning curve for use...

best of luck

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #50
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hi 2Air

Thank you and yes the Hensley is still here but in addition we also have the Reese, The Hitch Helper and now the Equal-I-Zer. What a collection.

Anyone in search of one good hitch?

Sharon & Winston
Old 09-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Winston,

At this time how would you rate the Hitch Helper (A-F or 10-1) for use with travel trailers? Would it be a better arrangemet, if it was attatched to the trailer tongue (like "The Long Long Trailer), instead of on the TV?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #52
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hi Bob

We have had experience with many hitches to date and none except the Hensley, come close to the stability of the HH. There must be some scientific explanation as to why this seemingly simple device void of any weight distribution or sway control provides such a secure and comfortable towing experience.

If these were the only criteria the HH would merit an 'A'. But there is the reality of road imperfections and the HH failed to keep those jolting or bucking sensations away from us the riders.

We cannot comment on the placement of the wheels in the Long, Long trailer having not experienced that arrangement but the HH in our humble and unscientific opinion may benefit from larger wheels placed farther apart and the inclusion of air springs.

Sharon & Winston
Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #53
ctw

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hitch Helper/Slimpwheel

Hi, I'm new here. I found this site looking for Slimpwheel information. I have a B-5, 900 lb. capacity Slimpwheel Axle on our 1948 Aero Flite trailer. We are part of the SWVCA and collect vintage campers. Check out out web site at www.swvca.com. This is the first place I've found where anyone has talked about HITCH HELPERS. Made my day.
Kenny & Karen
Attached Images

ctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #54
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hi CTW

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your vintage beauties with us.

The slimpwheels appear quite similar to our hitch helper but there is one basic difference as far as we can ascertain from the two picts. Your two wheel device is essentially a part of the trailer and sits behind the ball while the hitch helper tested by us is an extension of the tow vehicle and is positioned ahead of the ball.

Wish we could try your slimpwheel though. Then we'd be able to compare.

Sharon & Winston
Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercamper
... in our humble and unscientific opinion may benefit from larger wheels placed farther apart and the inclusion of air springs.
This sounds like an invention in the making!!! Are you handy with a welder?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #56

Airstream - Other
Airstream Coach - Other
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi there,
Do you still have the trailer with the Watson dolly system?
Regards
Watsonguy is offline   Reply With Quote