Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hitch Height....yes, again.

With our new Dodge Ram truck and ProPride hitch, after proper weight distrubution adjustment, we end up with the trailer 1/2" low in the front, or if I raise the drawbar to the next level, the trailer is 3/4" high in the front.

Of the two, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
loaded or empty

reminds me of a old joke:
you're measuring with a micrometer - marking with a grease pencil and cutting with a chainsaw, it's not an exact science
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
You're within Government spec.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
More better the trailer is a half inch low. Should be fine.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
loaded or empty
Loaded, ready to rock and roll.

Quote:
More better the trailer is a half inch low.
And, why do you believe that?

Quote:
You're within Government spec.
I like to think I'm better than "Government spec."
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would go with the 1/2" low in the nose. The subject has come up several times and most people believe that a little low in the front is better then a little high. It may have to do with the aero dynamics going down the road, but I am not a rocket scientist.

My reason has to do with overnight stops when you leave the trailer attached to your TV. With the front a little low, you can just raise the front slightly for a level trailer and still be attached. If the front is high, you can not level the trailer easily.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I would go with the 1/2" low in the nose. The subject has come up several times and most people believe that a little low in the front is better then a little high. It may have to do with the aero dynamics going down the road, but I am not a rocket scientist.

My reason has to do with overnight stops when you leave the trailer attached to your TV. With the front a little low, you can just raise the front slightly for a level trailer and still be attached. If the front is high, you can not level the trailer easily.
Makes sence, I like that.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Generally speaking, trailer a little nose low adds a mite to hitch weight some of which is transferred to the front axle, helps keep the steering geometry more or less in line.

With the trailer nose high, just the opposite happens. May still be fine but less likely. In either case, you are so close to level it is unlikely to matter much.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
after proper weight distrubution adjustment, we end up with the trailer 1/2" low in the front, or if I raise the drawbar to the next level, the trailer is 3/4" high in the front.

Of the two, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.
If you can't hit level, I vote 1/2" low in the front for no other reason than because it gives you 1/2" more ground clearance in the rear.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My vote is try it low in front, then check tire temps if the front is noticeably hotter change to higher in front and check tire temps again. Then go with the setup that has the tires closer to the same temps (same temps=even loads on tires).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Generally speaking, trailer a little nose low adds a mite to hitch weight some of which is transferred to the front axle, helps keep the steering geometry more or less in line.

With the trailer nose high, just the opposite happens. May still be fine but less likely. In either case, you are so close to level it is unlikely to matter much.

Mike
I think this is only true without independent suspension on the trailer. With the torsion axles on the Airstreams when the front is lower the front axle is carrying more weight and the pivot point of the axles shifts forward which reduces tongue weight.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, what's your tongue weight as a % of total with the front 1/2" low and everything loaded in truck and trailer. If you have some extra tongue weight (like 12 - 15% of total) I'd relocate some weight to rear of axle to lift the front a little at the 1/2"ow setting. But of course, never less than 10% tongue weight.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Rich, If I discount the weight of the ProPride (I'm told on here that it's NOT counted as tongue weight, but I wonder), my tongue weight is about 850 pounds, or right at 10% of the trailer weight.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
How much drop are you using? It appears you have the adjustable hitch head with 1.25" centers on the bolt holes. Is there an option for a set drop from PP?

I do not remember, do you have the 15" or 16" wheels and tires installed? The 16" Michelins would add about 0.6" in height to the Airstream over the GYM 15" ST tires.

Another choice would be to add one or two of the three blocks back on to the top of each side of the rear axle to elevate the rear end of the truck.

Since one can replace the adjustable part for about $225, if all else fails, get the adjustable unit welded to the precise height and be done with the issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Rich, If I discount the weight of the ProPride (I'm told on here that it's NOT counted as tongue weight, but I wonder), my tongue weight is about 850 pounds, or right at 10% of the trailer weight.
I've heard both as well (that the PP does and doesn't count toward tongue weight). What is the definitive answer?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
How much drop are you using? It appears you have the adjustable hitch head with 1.25" centers on the bolt holes. Is there an option for a set drop from PP?

I do not remember, do you have the 15" or 16" wheels and tires installed? The 16" Michelins would add about 0.6" in height to the Airstream over the GYM 15" ST tires.

Another choice would be to add one or two of the three blocks back on to the top of each side of the rear axle to elevate the rear end of the truck.

Since one can replace the adjustable part for about $225, if all else fails, get the adjustable unit welded to the precise height and be done with the issue.
I don't know of a set drop option from ProPride, and I do have 16" wheels and tires.

The other two options you mention are possible, but to me, undesirable.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I've heard both as well (that the PP does and doesn't count toward tongue weight). What is the definitive answer?
Whatever the answer is, the tow vehicle has to haul it, and I suppose it depends on whatever point is trying to be made.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
since the hitch is bolted to the trailer I think it is part of the trailer. Therefore tongue weight should include hitch. the weight of the hitch is being carried by the tow vehicle.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
since the hitch is bolted to the trailer I think it is part of the trailer. Therefore tongue weight should include hitch. the weight of the hitch is being carried by the tow vehicle.
Al
Actually, most of the weight of the ProPride is not bolted to the trailer, but is attached to the coupler as any other hitch would be. No matter, either way the tow vehicle must carry the weight.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I'm pretty sure that the manual for my Overlander recommends that the nose be a bit high. It may be worth noting that the manual also includes detailed instructions on how to dig a sewage dump pit when boondocking.

I'm not totally convinced that these recommended practices are up to current specs... I guess if my trailer ever starts to sway or a ranger questions my disposal habits, I can point to my manual to prove 'em wrong!
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote