Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You are in the same dilemma as I. One position is too low in the front, and the next is too high.

Yes, weights are very important, especially retuning the unhitched weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, but it is also important because of the type of suspension they use, to level the Airstream. If the trailer is significantly low in the front, the front axle is carrying more weight than the rear, and vice versa. I know it's not practical, but it would be nice to have a more fine height adjustment on the hitch.
Steve, my trailer frame is now 16 1/2 inches from ground in front and 17 1/2 inches from ground in rear. Is that what you would call 1/2" lower in front?

Thanks, sandy
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Steve, my trailer frame is now 16 1/2 inches from ground in front and 17 1/2 inches from ground in rear. Is that what you would call 1/2" lower in front?

Thanks, sandy
Yes, to get the trailer perfectly level, you would have to raise the hitch 1/2" assuming you already have proper weight distribution. The problem is, most all hitch elevation adjustments go in about 1 1/2" increments.

I would double check that you have proper weight distribution with your setup as it currently is, and then if you do, you will probably just have to live with the thing as is. If your weight distribution is not right, then get that right, and re-measure your trailer for level.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2...

Sandy,

Are the weights right? If so I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

Bob
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure if the weights right. So do I need to go to the scales and check the weights on each axle of my TV with the equalizer hitch hooked up to my TT. If so, does anyone know how to calculate these weights. I guess I would probably weigh my truck with only the front tires on the scale to calculate the weight on the front axle, but then what?
Am I on the right track, and if so does anyone know the formula for calculating the weight on the rear axle of my TV?
Thanks for any advice, Sandy
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
You really can't do too much about the weight on the rear axle of the TV, it's the front that's important.

Yes, weigh the front axle, or better yet, both axles independently on the TV. Then go back with the trailer hooked up as you usually tow it, and if need be adjust the WD hitch so you get at least the same amount of weight on the front axle of the TV. And depending on your TV, you might want more.

OK, checking your personals, I see you tow with an F-150, right? If so, make sure you do not have the rear axle weight over the GAWR of the truck. If you do, you want to transfer more to the front axle.

After that, check the level of your trailer.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You really can't do too much about the weight on the rear axle of the TV, it's the front that's important.

Yes, weigh the front axle, or better yet, both axles independently on the TV. Then go back with the trailer hooked up as you usually tow it, and if need be adjust the WD hitch so you get at least the same amount of weight on the front axle of the TV. And depending on your TV, you might want more.

OK, checking your personals, I see you tow with an F-150, right? If so, make sure you do not have the rear axle weight over the GAWR of the truck. If you do, you want to transfer more to the front axle.

After that, check the level of your trailer.
Steve, thanks for your help, your advise about the front axle makes a lot of sense.
Yes I tow with an F-150 with the eco boost engine, rated to pull over 11000 lbs. But I am not clear on how to calculate rather or not the rear axle weight is over the GAWR of the truck, as you suggested. Wouldn't that require me to be able to weight the rear axle with the TT attached, or am I missing something obvious
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, go to a CAT scale, the ones the big 18 wheelers use, usually found at the big truck stops, and it will weigh the whole rig, and give you the weight of the front axle, the rear axle, and the trailer axles.

The GAWR should be posted on a metal plate, or a sticker, on the drivers door frame.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sandy,

Here are three of my CAT tickets.

First... tow vehicle alone loaded for camping. Note the TV front axle weight.

Second....TV & AS loaded for camping NO weight distribution, again note front axle weight.

Third....TV & AS WITH weight distribution and Trailer & Airstream LEVEL!!

Notice that all but 100lbs have been returned to the steering axle and the trailer is level.

Your axle rating's will be on a tag on the driver door jamb. (GAWR)

Bob
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
That looks easy now that you guys took the time to show me the way.

Thanks Bob for showing me your CAT scale tickets, I think I'll do exactly what you guys suggested, sounds like great advice. I didn't realize that the scale is actually made up of 3 platforms, I will be checking my weights soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #50
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
fine tuning weight distribution and ball height.

in between, ya say? remove the ball and change the height of it with hardened washers; changing the tilt will change the wd. oh, don't go crazy with the washers, if needed add a spacer of appropriate material. and while you are at it take a look at the torquing figure for the shank of that 10-12klb ball! it'll knock your socks off. and/or strain your gizard
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
in between, ya say? remove the ball and change the height of it with hardened washers; changing the tilt will change the wd. oh, don't go crazy with the washers, if needed add a spacer of appropriate material. and while you are at it take a look at the torquing figure for the shank of that 10-12klb ball! it'll knock your socks off. and/or strain your gizard
The hitch ball is welded onto a ProPride hitch.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The high torque values can be reached using the typical 48" long 1" torque socket wrench driver.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote